UKC

Pyrenees exciting 3000m peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 21 Apr 2017
Hi, anyone know of any 3000m peaks in the Pyrenees with a f/pd route?
Alot of the peaks seem to look like small outcrops of each other and have no real prominence, is there any too that stand out?

Thanks in advance
 Doug 21 Apr 2017
In reply to mc2006:

Only around 2700m but Canigou does "stand out" and has several routes to the top, some with easy scrambling
(see eg https://www.camptocamp.org/waypoints/42729/fr/pic-du-canigou-canigo )

Ramblin dave 21 Apr 2017
In reply to mc2006:

If you can accept 2974m, Pic Palas Arête des Géodésiens is meant to be F+ or PD- (felt like a Skye grade 2 scramble to me) and gets up a cracking peak. Pic du Midi d'Ossau in the same area is smaller again (2884m), but it's ridiculously prominent and the F+ voie normale is a good day out.
OP mc2006 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks Doug and Dave, I'm not too fussed with the '3000' its my mate who is. They sound perfect guys so will look into them thank you.
 Iain Thow 21 Apr 2017
In reply to mc2006:

NE arete and Las Espadas traverse on the Posets is classic at that grade, especially if you start along the Bardamina - Paul arete (which is fantastic). Makes a great circuit from the SE. Nearby is the Gourgs Blancs traverse, and just across the valley are the Maladeta, Aneto and Pico Alba, all prominent 3000m peaks with F/PD routes, and mostly on superb granite. The northern loop on the Vallibierna is good too, great positions although less sustained and on dodgier rock. There's also some spectacular aretes and rock spikes not far away near the Perdiguero, haven't done them but they look great. Benasque is a great base for all these (bars, gear shops, camping just out of town).
 Jonny 19 May 2017
In reply to mc2006:

It might or might not be too late for you, but the Escupidera route of Monte Perdido (Mont Perdu) is fantastic, and spectacular (I'm not sure of the grade, but there are no technical difficulties). The Ordesa gorge, which you will pass through on the way, is really impressive scenery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...