/ Northern Spain

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
steve4736 - on 22 Apr 2017
Hi,

I have recently bought a house in Northern Spain (Asturias near Arenas). It is in a beautiful area 5 minutes away from a fantastic crag (Poo de Cabrales) and very close to the Picos mountain and the 500m walls of Picu Uriellu (visible from house). I am presently working on it and am looking for anybody who is interested in free accommodation, lots of climbing but is also willing to give me a hand with the work (main jobs flooring, windows, electrics and pointing). If you have experience in this sort of work it would be a bonus. I am presently back in the UK, but will be back in Spain mid May and am planning to be there through the summer. The plan is to finish the house and then renovate the barn with the aim of turning part into rental accommodation. If you are interested, let me know and I will tell you more about myself , the area and the project.

Cheers,

Steve
PeakDJ on 22 Apr 2017
In reply to steve4736:

Hi Steve...sounds like a good plan. We aren't in a position to offer any help but I can put in a good word for Poo de Cabrales for anyone thinking of visiting. We had a day there before heading into the Picos and we were very impressed. Some great climbing and great views! We were surprised there weren't more climbers about...it wasn't too hot either, even in July!
steve4736 - on 24 Apr 2017
In reply to PeakDJ:

Thanks for that thumbs up about the place. It really is an undiscovered gem of an area with great sport climbing, big walls, walking, paddling and even surfing half an hour away. All in a beautiful green part of Spain with bears and wolves and hardly any people! I'm torn between trying to let everyone know and not wanting it to get too busy!
WillJGritstoner on 02 May 2017
In reply to steve4736:

hi Steve, sounds potentially like a very good opportunity, would be good if you could let me know a bit more, cheers, will
steve4736 - on 05 May 2017
In reply to WillJGritstoner:

Hi Will,

Thanks for getting in touch. I bought the property in January and have already done quite a lot of work getiing it comfortable to live in with electricity and hot running water, shower, heating etc. I dont know how much you know about the area, but as regards logistics I am about one a and a half hours from Santander (airport and ferry) and two hours from Asturias airport. There are plenty of sport climbing crags on the doorstep the very popular area of La Hermida is 40 mins away where there is also hot springs and via ferrata (English guidebook "Roca Verde" by Richie Patterson has all the major crags in). The big mountains of the Picos start about twenty minutes away by car (there is a famous walk up the Cares Gorge which starts locally and cuts right through the middle of the range). You can also walk directly out of the house into the Sierra de Cuera (coastal range). There is also a great paddling river in the valley and beautiful surf beaches 30 mins away. If you email me directly I can send you some photos and maps as well as any more info you want. I an in UK until 16th of this month, so if you are seriously interested and not too far away, we could meet up to discuss (I'm in Herts, north of London).

Cheers,

Steve
Lizard Ollie - on 06 May 2017
In reply to steve4736:

I've sent you an email Steve, sounds like a cool project!
steve4736 - on 08 May 2017
In reply to Lizard Ollie:

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for getting in touch. I don't appear to have received your email!?

Cheers,

Steve
Lizard Ollie - on 08 May 2017
In reply to steve4736:

Oh that's weird. I'll just copy what I wrote to here:

"I would be pretty keen to help out but I am out of the UK June - late August/early September. In your post you say you're planning to be out there over the summer (presumably trying to get it all done?) but if help is still required when I am back, do feel free to get in touch as it sounds like a pretty good deal!"

Ollie
jack_44 - on 08 May 2017
In reply to steve4736:

Sent you an email too Steve. Sounds like a great area for sure!
steve4736 - on 08 May 2017
In reply to jack_44:

Hi Jack,

Your email appears to have gone astray as well! I have sent you a direct email so if you reply to that...

Cheers,

Steve
doz on 09 May 2017
In reply to steve4736:

sent you an email Steve
steve4736 - on 09 May 2017
In reply to doz:
Hi doz,
I'm afraid I haven't got your email either. Will send you email you can reply to..
L c_webb94 - on 05:48 Fri
In reply to steve4736:

Also sent you an email!
bedspring on 07:57 Fri
In reply to steve4736:

Do you have any pictures of the area or the project?
Is there much Trad in the area at lower altitudes or even a guidebook?
ads.ukclimbing.com

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.