UKC

The BIG election issue!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 23 Apr 2017
Do we need more public holidays?

A Labour government would seek to create four new UK-wide bank holidays, Jeremy Corbyn says.
The holidays would be on each nation's patron saint day - St David's Day on 1 March, St Patrick's Day on 17 March, St George's Day on 23 April and St Andrew's Day on 30 November.
Mr Corbyn believes the move will "celebrate the national cultures of our proud nations".
Labour says the UK has fewer bank holidays than other G20 countries.
Normally, England and Wales have eight bank holidays a year, Scotland nine, and Northern Ireland 10.
Lusk 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Yeah, we don't want the filthy working classes having even more paid days off work.
Think of all the champagne that will go unchilled...
In reply to Big Ger:

Creating bank holidays is a devolved power in Scotland. So he would have to ask the SNP government in Holyrood to introduce a St George's Day holiday.
 Dax H 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Yes by all means let's have more bank holidays, the never ending cash cow that is small businesses in the UK can afford to pay for it.
It's even easier for a business like mine, not only do I get to pay everyone for the day off but I get to pay extra to have people on call just in case one if my customers breaks down.
Win win really.
 FreshSlate 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Dax H:

Sounds like you're really behind this.
 Dax H 23 Apr 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Sounds like you're really behind this.

All for it, especially with the dates being around March and April, at the moment it's far too easy to plan work and cover throughout April and May with the existing bank holidays and a floating Easter, it's the perfect time of year to throw more days in.
 FreshSlate 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Yeah, we don't want the filthy working classes having even more paid days off work.Think of all the champagne that will go unchilled...

I think this is a fair point. If your working in a lot of working class industries bank holidays get ignored entirely.
 wbo 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger: Think of it as practice - when automation for a lot of middle skill tasks really kicks in there are going to be plenty of people with extra holiday.

You seem convinced he won't get in anyway so why not set a few aspirational but unlikely targets. Reminds the proletariat they're still a squeezed middle class.

summo 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Got to be good for the economy, less productivity overall and people can then borrow some more money and go shopping out of town for the day.

Why not focus on the notion people can make a living 9-5 Monday to Friday every week. Without the need to kill themselves daily in return for some special day off a few times a year.
OP Big Ger 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Dax H:
> Yes by all means let's have more bank holidays, the never ending cash cow that is small businesses in the UK can afford to pay for it. It's even easier for a business like mine, not only do I get to pay everyone for the day off but I get to pay extra to have people on call just in case one if my customers breaks down. Win win really.

I'll write to him and remind him that he forgot St Piran's day (March 5th,) the Cornish deserve their national day too.

I believe those in Yorkshire have also expressed an interest.
Post edited at 22:36
Jim C 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I would have thought St Jude would have been more appropriate for Corbyn to add on to his list.
Moley 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

As usual, forgetting us poor old retired people, life is one long holiday for us - so we get nothing out of it, sod all. B*****d politicians.
 summo 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Given Corbyns view he can fix the world's problems by talking, I think he might need to reserve these few days and a several more for the Islamic worlds celebrations. Ramadam, Eid etc.. As I don't think IS will change their ways, even after a nice organic fair trade earl grey in an independent Kensington cafe.
Jim C 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Moley:

> As usual, forgetting us poor old retired people, life is one long holiday for us - so we get nothing out of it, sod all. B*****d politicians.

We ( retired folks) get our family to share the day with Moley.
We also get all the roads blocked, all the good places booked up and prices hiked, and best of all, we get Bank Holiday weather.
What's not to like about Bank Holidays
 krikoman 24 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> Got to be good for the economy, less productivity overall and people can then borrow some more money and go shopping out of town for the day. Why not focus on the notion people can make a living 9-5 Monday to Friday every week. Without the need to kill themselves daily in return for some special day off a few times a year.

You mean something like the Working Time Directive, that Thatcher opposed? That sort of thing?
 fred99 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

This alone shows what a dick Corbyn is.
 Trevers 24 Apr 2017
In reply to fred99:

> This alone shows what a dick Corbyn is.

How?

Misguided perhaps... but a dick?
 summo 24 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> You mean something like the Working Time Directive, that Thatcher opposed? That sort of thing?

No.

It won't happen by making it law. It has to be society led. But, we have a society that wants to be able to shop 24/7, call their bank or anyone else at any old time, have goods delivered etc.. All require people to work unusual hours etc... The position the UK is in, has been steered into by the population.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...