UKC

Which camper van for our family of 5?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 23 Apr 2017
We are thinking of buying a camper van for weekends away camping. Any recommendations on models of camper to look at much appreciated as I know nothing so far!
Our family is 2 adults and 3 kids (5,3 and 1 year olds).
Needs to fit 3 car seats in the back safely.
Budget is under 15000GBP.
We are looking for something which is reliable, ideally has 4wd (not essential though), and room for a bit of gear and to sit inside if it is raining / when the kids get tired.
Thanks for any advice!
 Cheese Monkey 23 Apr 2017
In reply to jussy:

Convert your own. I am in process of doing a Transit 4 berth for significantly less cash than that and it will be built totally how we want it, no compromises
 Siward 23 Apr 2017
In reply to jussy:

Seconded- convert your own LWB/hi top van.

The only caveat to that I'd say is that to genuinely sleep and accommodate five people requires more room than most folk on this site require, probably requiring that at least some beds can be fitted transversely (if I slept sideways in my self converted van the bed wouldn't be long enough). Commercially built campers tend to be wider than ordinary vans giving you that bit of extra room. So it is perhaps worth considering an old purpose built camper so long as you know its history- there are plenty of low mileage and little used but old campers out there which have only been used a couple of times a year so a service history/lack of rust is what you need to be looking for.

For example- the first one that came up on eebay item number 252864180061 is the sort of thing you might consider. Plenty more like it there.
 Chris Ebbutt 23 Apr 2017
In reply to jussy:
Mazda Bongo
Had one for 4 years brilliant 4 x4, pop top, reliable 2.5 turbo diesel( ford)
Seats in the back go flat , possible to sleep 2 adults and 6 small kids inside very cosy, easy to drive and smaller footprint than the larger estate cars.
Check out Bongo Fury for more info.
Chris
 gribble 23 Apr 2017
In reply to jussy:

If you're after 5 berth and some space, you're looking at substantially bigger than VW territory. our van (Renault Master) can sleep people crossways rather than lengthways, and the front converts into a bedroom for one. Maybe check out SBMCC.co.uk for inspiration?
 radddogg 23 Apr 2017
In reply to jussy:

£15k?

That should buy you a 25 year old VW transporter, mot failure with 300k on the clock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...