UKC

70's reggae

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 24 Apr 2017
I'm listening to a Trojan box set, I love 70's roots stuff, like a bit of lovers rock, and I 'm up for dubplate Any recommendations?
 Phil West 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

How about:

Lee Scratch Perry/Upsetters
The Pioneers
Toots & The Maytals
Keith Hudson
Jimmy Cliff

for starters, then a couple of newer bands carrying the torch for ska, reggae, rocksteady & dub:

Hepcat
The Slackers

Oh and not forgetting Linton Kwesi Johnson if you like a bit of 70s UK political messaging with your reggae. Great voice too.

Hope that helps!

Phil
OP aln 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Phil West:

Lee Perry is my favourite producer, I love the Black Ark stuff
 Ramblin dave 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Ah right. I was about to drop in to suggest Super Ape, Cloak and Dagger, Blackboard Jungle Dub, the Wonderman Years comp etc, but presumably you're already on that?
OP aln 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Phil West:

> Hepcat

Isn't that more of a 50's term?

Ramblin dave 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

For earlier, more upbeat stuff, the Tighten Up comps are hard to beat.
 alan moore 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Perry's 'Hold of Death' is a personal favourite.

My kids love Carl Malcolm's 'Fatty Boom Boom'. Classic.
OP aln 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I liked Super Ape, but after that I'm not sure.
 Skip 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:
Doctor Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken in Town

Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution

Misty n Roots - Live at the Counter Eurovision 79

The Scientist

King Tubby

The early Bob Marley tunes, produced by Lee 'Scratch' Perry are superb, and not like his later tunes.
Post edited at 21:47
 Shani 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Augustus Pablo!
Removed User 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey and the dub responce Garveys Ghost
OP aln 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Skip:

> The early Bob Marley tunes, produced by Lee 'Scratch' Perry are superb, and not like his later tunes.

I love Bob, I can't think of a tune by him from Stir It Up or earlier, to his later poppier stuff, that I don't like.
OP aln 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Skip:

I love Dr Alimentado, a master when it came to re using old rhythms and toasting over them. Like many Jamaican vocalists and DJ's who were doing what became hip hop before hip hop became hip hop and rapping became rapping...
 Ramblin dave 24 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

There was a budget 2CD out a few years ago called Dub Triptych, with Blackboard Jungle, Cloak and Dagger and Revolution Dub, which was absolutely ridiculous value for three great albums. Worth grabbing if there are still copies around.

How about War Inna Babylon (source of most of the riddims on Super Ape, I think) and Heart of the Congos?
 tony 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> There was a budget 2CD out a few years ago called Dub Triptych, with Blackboard Jungle, Cloak and Dagger and Revolution Dub, which was absolutely ridiculous value for three great albums. Worth grabbing if there are still copies around.How about War Inna Babylon (source of most of the riddims on Super Ape, I think) and Heart of the Congos?

Must look for Dub Tryptych - sounds worth investigating - and Heart of the Congos is great.

If the OP fancies extending his timeline a bit into the early 80s, Black Uhuru and the album Red in particular, might be worth a listen.
OP aln 25 Apr 2017
In reply to tony:

> Black Uhuru and the album Red in particular, might be worth a listen.

I love Black Uhuru, saw them live in Glasgow in the 80's, the Sly n Robbie groove they had defined that deep reggae sound at the time. But moving into the ragga thing wasn't for me.

Adam Long 25 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Congos - Heart of the Congos.

Epitome of 70's roots for me and I never get tired of it. They still sound great too: youtube.com/watch?v=RsXp53Mu30s&
OP aln 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Adam Long:

Wow thanks, I'd forgotten about that. I'd buy it again but it's out of my range on Amazon.
 Phil West 25 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Hepcat, yes the name is but they are carrying the torch of ska along with The Slackers. I missed out on seeing Hepcat in the late 90s and I don't think they've toured the UK since. Oh well. I've seen The Slackers a few times though and they're always great.
 Chris Harris 25 Apr 2017
In reply to aln:

Peter Tosh.

Gregory Isaacs.

Burning Spear.
OP aln 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

I'm not sure about Tosh, but I love Burning Spear and some Isaacs. It was me n partners anniversary last week, I had Happy Anniversary from Isaacs in my head. Not actually a happy anniversary song...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...