UKC

Have Petzl harnessed magic?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 25 Apr 2017
Just looking at getting a new head torch, and come across the Petzl Actik.

Looking at the burn times, they state that at 5 lumens, it goes for 260 hours. Fair play. But they then go on to say if you have it running at 100, 300, or 2 lumens (on the red LED), it will go for 60 hours.

I emailed them to ask whether this was a typo on their website, but they said it isn't. I'm not an electrician, but it doesn't seem like that adds up to me? If it does, then i think i've found my new torch!
 olddirtydoggy 25 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

It looks like a Tikka upgrade. It's an extra few grams though, 6 grams more would give me back ache. The Tikka has been my go to workhorse for years but this ,looks like a much better option. I noticed you can't control it with your mobile phone when you're away from it.
 Jack B 25 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Many of the newer Petzl headlamps have a light sensor and automatically adjust the output from 5-10lm up to the set level when you look at near/far objects. I have a Nao that does this and I like this feature, it preserves the battery and means you don't trash your night vision looking at the map or at your feet.

I really can't tell from their website if the Actic does this. but maybe the 60hr life is with that feature enabled - so the average light output will be rather less than 300lm?
 Aly 25 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:
Typo or not it's not true! There was a fair bit of discussion on a headtorch forum I found here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428714-New-Petzl-2017-He...

I have one, on high power it will give you 300 lumens for maybe an hour or so (I've not measured it) then gradually fades, which is annoying as it states it is a regulated torch. Still a good little torch though, but how petzl aren't breaching advertising standards beats me.
 Aly 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Jack B: no, the actik doesn't auto adjust.

OP CharlieMack 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Jack B:

It's just a standard torch without the reactive technology. I'm trying to upgrade from my tikka rxp which has that, but doesn't have a lock function. Which really annoys me, as i've got it out a few times, only to find it's been on in my bag! So sold it a while ago. As such, i currently don't have a proper headtorch (i've got a little 40 lumen thing, which just about does for camping).
 spenser 25 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've got a Reactik+ which I get along with well and has a lock function.
OP CharlieMack 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Aly:

Cheers Alt. I suspected as much. Very misleading. That was even from an email that I received directly from Petzl. Poor show.

I'm interested in the Reactik +, just a bit expensive, and I found I didn't use the reactive technology that much for what I do. So was trying to find a cheaper 250-300 lumin torch that was regulated. Ideally with a 4-5 hour burn time at 80-100 lumins, with the option to boost when needed.
 Andrew Wilson 26 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Have a look at the Fenix range. Most are either rechargeable or run on rechargeable cells. The bigger units are mostly waterproof too.

Andy
 munro90 26 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cannae vouch for it, but how would this tickle your fancy? https://www.alpkit.com/products/qark
 thlcr1 27 Apr 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Saw the Actik in a shop last week and was wondering about the 300 lumens for 60hrs, thought that unless they have some completely new LED technology or a huge battery in your rucksack its got to be complete rubbish. Personally I've got an Ledlensor SEO 7R. 220 lumens, removable battery pack which charges with a STD micro USB charger, can take 3 AAA's if you need spares, reactive lighting mode and a lock function. I'd say it gives about 2-3 hours on full more on reactive. Had it about 3 years now and never let me down. About the only thing I could criticise is that it seems to very slowly drain the battery when not in use. Not been a problem but worth a recharge if its been standing for a few weeks.

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...