UKC

Second collie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Suzie McMurray 26 Apr 2017
Hi, I currently own a fantastic male bc aged 3years old. I have been asked by a customer of my shop to take his female as he has bought a bc bitch 3 months old and can not handle her (too boisterous).

Can anyone give advice as to whether two bc are a good idea.

Many thanks
 marsbar 26 Apr 2017
In reply to Suzie McMurray:

I think it would depend on the individual dogs. Collies are bright and have a lot of character, so I think you would need to see if they get on well together. 3 months is young, do you have the time and energy for a puppy? Is it him that can't handle her or is she not very trainable? It might be great, it might not. A difficult dog is quite a commitment, but she may be totally fine with a consistent experienced owner.
 summo 26 Apr 2017
> Hi, I currently own a fantastic male bc aged 3years old. I have been asked by a customer of my shop to take his female as he has bought a bc bitch 3 months old and can not handle her (too boisterous).Can anyone give advice as to whether two bc are a good idea.Many thanks

It depends. It sounds like the new dog will need a little work and if the dogs spend more time together without you then with, there is a risk your current dog will pick up bad habits. It depends how engrained the training is in your current dog etc.. and if you have time to walk them separately some of time. As it will be hard work to 'fix' the second dog, if the other tags along.

That said, 12mths down the line, two lively young dogs are fantastic fun for you and each other.

Our current collie, who is part working / part outdoor living pet we got from a farm aged 2 and was a little neglected, he was ok working sheep, but had some bad other habits. We've fixed most of the problems, but not 100%. Which could be me, not the dog!!

Edit. I've just seen it's 3mths not years a puppy.. As above ask the owner. At that age nothing is set in stone, they probably weren't expecting something quite so lively.
Post edited at 07:51
Andy Gamisou 26 Apr 2017

I'm in a similar position - but with German shepherds. Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...