UKC

Alps Costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnboybuchan 26 Apr 2017
Planning an Alps trip for the summer ( mid July). Its been a few years since i've been to Chamonix and would appreciate some idea of costs of Tunnel, road tolls, campsite/ hostel lifts mountain huts etc.
Yes i know I should do the search myself but I need to get the washing, washing up and gardening done before the missus gets home and I have about 20 minutes...

Thank you in advance JB
 tjekel 29 Apr 2017
In reply to johnboybuchan:

Another guy who thinks chamonix is 'the alps'.
 timjones 30 Apr 2017
In reply to tjekel:

> Another guy who thinks chamonix is 'the alps'.

Another guy who failed at basic English comprehension
 summo 30 Apr 2017
In reply to tjekel:

> Another guy who thinks chamonix is 'the alps'.

Easy to say if you've ticked off all the long course there, but it's as good a place to be as any if you want easy access and route choice.
 timjones 30 Apr 2017

I'd forget driving,

It will almost certainly be cheaper to fly to Geneva.

It's certainly a more efficiient use of time than driving, It's possible to leave home at dawn and be eating supper in a hut before dusk
 Rob_Morris1996 30 Apr 2017

Would certainly second flying - recently booked return flights to Geneva from Manchester, with one and a half 20 kilo duffles (flying with a mate and split the cost of 3rd bag) for £112, transfers from about £25 each way.

Stay in the Argentière campsite (approx 5 euro pppn with 2.50 a night for the pitch), and they give you a pass for free bus and train transport within the valley, the train will get you to the Midi in time for second lift. Campsite is super nice with wifi if that's a concern to you.

Last year we got a 7 lift days in a 10 day span pass, was 100 euro.
 timjones 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob_Morris1996:

> Would certainly second flying - recently booked return flights to Geneva from Manchester, with one and a half 20 kilo duffles (flying with a mate and split the cost of 3rd bag) for £112, transfers from about £25 each way. Stay in the Argentière campsite (approx 5 euro pppn with 2.50 a night for the pitch), and they give you a pass for free bus and train transport within the valley, the train will get you to the Midi in time for second lift. Campsite is super nice with wifi if that's a concern to you. Last year we got a 7 lift days in a 10 day span pass, was 100 euro.

I believe that the travel pass should be given to you at any campsite or accomodation that you stay at and if not it can be purchased for a very reasonable price.
 anthonylewis 01 May 2017
In reply to timjones:

My preference is to drive. Cost is reasonable when split between two or three people. You can leave the house early doors and be in the campsites before dark. We're able to take more stuff to make camping more comfortable. The public transport pass is fantastic and we make good use of it, but it's nice to have a car there in case we want to change location.

One more bonus - it avoids airports altogether.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...