UKC

Coincidences

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 27 Apr 2017
Someone that I have known for about 15 years, but haven't seen for a couple of years was mention on the MONC defeat thread this morning, which I read sat in my parked car about to go to an event. I then bumped in to them at the event.
 wilkie14c 27 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

it's a big old world but we only
live in a tiny bit of it
 Timmd 27 Apr 2017
I was once walking home from school as a ten year old, and encountered the older sister of a girl from a secondary school on my path home, who'd just had a pencil thrown at her face which caused an injury with blood coming from it, she thought I was involved until my Mum drove past and stood up for me.

A few years later (a girl who could only have been) the younger sister was at my neighbour's house, and my next door friend and I were warned upon entering by his Mum to not mention her eye which had been damaged by somebody throwing a pencil at it when she was at school. The family resemblance was very strong, and Sheffield is that kind of city, a few degrees of separation can seem to be normal.
Post edited at 14:52
 the sheep 27 Apr 2017

I was "entertaining" myself the other day thinking about my sexy boss when lo and behold she walked in on me.
Dont know who was more surprised, me or her. Still probably shouldnt have been in her office though.
The girl I was recently seeing was previously seeing a guy called Fred with a whippet and a specific rare type of dog bed. My name is also Fred, I have a whippet... with exactly the same bed. There's no way she could have known any of these things.

It didn't stop there. There were loads of minor coincidences too. Shame she was mental!
Post edited at 15:04
Bellie 27 Apr 2017

At college we were awaiting the course assessor to visit. We were sat at the window looking out for him not knowing him or what he looked like. His name was Clive Hetherington. I said he sounds like an RAF type, who would probably arrive in a morgan open top sports car, and be the stiff upper lip brigade.

Soon enough, a Morgan Sportscar did arrive in the carpark and I laughed - he is is I said. And it was indeed him and he was just like an officer type when he came through the door.
 wilkie14c 27 Apr 2017

My best mate of over 25 years has his birthday on nov 5. His mum and his son both have birthdays on the same day. By my reckoning the odds of 3 generations born on the same day is 48.5 million to 1
 najki_2000 27 Apr 2017

Only have dated 2 guys in my life - both were born on the same day albeit 2 years apart
 Jon Read 27 Apr 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Isn't it 1 to 133225?
p = (365/365) * (1/365) * (1/365)
as the first person chosen has to have their birthday on the day in question.
 La benya 27 Apr 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

apparently the chances of a shared birthday are actually pretty good. google it. its one of those weird statistical things due to people being more likely to bonk on holidays etc. from memory if you have a room of 30 people there is a 1/3 chance of you sharing a birthday, not 30/365
 wilkie14c 27 Apr 2017
In reply to La benya:

ah my bad, my mate isn't as special as i thought then! still hell of a coincidence though
 SenzuBean 27 Apr 2017
In reply to La benya:

> apparently the chances of a shared birthday are actually pretty good. google it. its one of those weird statistical things due to people being more likely to bonk on holidays etc. from memory if you have a room of 30 people there is a 1/3 chance of you sharing a birthday, not 30/365

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
 WaterMonkey 27 Apr 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Myself, my wife and our two children all have our birthdays on the same day of the week each year. So if my eldest daughter's birthday falls on a Monday (for instance)then that year all ours will. Same every year.
Don't think the odds are that rare. It's 1 x 7 x 7 x 7 but that doesn't take into account that we all had to be born after the end of February.
 WaterMonkey 27 Apr 2017

Haha this is hilarious! Every post on this thread has 1 dislike. Now that's a coincidence!
 pneame 27 Apr 2017
In reply to La benya:

It's nothing to do with bonking frequency - you have to turn the question upside down and ask "what is the probability of the birthday NOT being the same"
 Yanis Nayu 27 Apr 2017
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> The girl I was recently seeing was previously seeing a guy called Fred with a whippet and a specific rare type of dog bed. My name is also Fred, I have a whippet... with exactly the same bed. There's no way she could have known any of these things.It didn't stop there. There were loads of minor coincidences too. Shame she was mental!

She was a stalker!
Lusk 27 Apr 2017

The first time ever, I checked out The Cheshire Smokehouse yesterday.
Then, today, whilst parked up at The Cat & Fiddle in the mist, The Cheshire Smokehouse van pulled up in front of me, never seen it before, ever.

Eerie!

Padraig 27 Apr 2017

These are NOT "coincidences".....they are "signs"...

Yet another interesting thread being besmirched by the creepy phantom 'disliker', it seems.
 Dave the Rave 27 Apr 2017

A couple of years ago whilst walking Bowfell, myself and my Mrs passed one of my mates exs walking up from The Band with her new bloke. We had a bit of an awkward chat and wished them a good day.
On our descent of the Angle Tarn side, I met my mate who had binned the ex, with his floozy of the time.
Given that they both worked abroad, I think this was a coincidence.
They all met at the top and scones were not shared. Nor were pleasantries at the ODG. Bitter and a scorned woman, caused bitter women! Women!
Two years ago on a Cardiff residential visit, one of my year 6s had been raving on about Jamaican ginger beer as we walked through the city. We rounded a corner to be met by two people in Jamaican ginger beer T shirts offering us free cans of ginger beer. Then last year in London with another group of Y6s, we were walking along Drury Lane back to our hotel;It was hot and had been a long and tiring day and another of my Y6s said "I'm so thirsty, I could murder an iced tea" (having been going on about it since leaving St Paul's) . Lo and behold, the throngs of people on the pavement parted to reveal 4 excitable young women in Liptons Iced Tea garb handing out endless bottles of the stuff. We're going to the Gower in a few weeks, not expecting anything to happen but I'm planning to go via the Penderyn whisky distillery just in case.
 Robert Durran 27 Apr 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

And nothing to do with "bonking on holidays". It does seem unintuitive that, given 23 people, there's greater than 50% chance of at least one pair sharing a birthday. But it seems less surprising when you realise that there are (23x22)/2=253 possible pairs.
 Big Ger 27 Apr 2017

My daughter, who was then 16 bumped into her best mate from primary school, who she hadn't seen since leaving that school.

The school is in Canberra, they met in a shoe shop on Oxford street while on holiday in Britain.
 ericinbristol 27 Apr 2017
I work a lot in Somalia and recruited one of my former students (from East London) to work with my team. We were on the beach in Berbera on the Somali coast (which is not a holiday destination). Stepped onto the beach and virtually the first person she saw was someone she knew from East London.
Post edited at 23:39
 wercat 28 Apr 2017
In reply to La benya:

When I was at school we had an annually printed alphabetical list of everyone at school that year, complete with birthday. Every year I looked down the list just out of curiosity to see if anyone had the same birthday. No one ever did through the 5 years I was there. Number in school was a bit over 600. I suppose its the exception that proves the rule. I wondered whether when you are in a group of people when it reaches a certain number there is a level of complexity that just resolves to either someone shares your birthday or else not.
 girlymonkey 28 Apr 2017

I am originally from Stirling in Scotland, then lived in Tavistock, Devon, for several years in my childhood. After many more moves, I finally ended up back living in Stirling and attending a local church. I had been there a while and was chatting with some folks and something came up in conversation me having lived in Devon. A guy in the group (a Scottish guy), asked where. After a long line of questioning, we discovered that we had attended the same Sunday School in Devon when we were about 10, and our mothers (mine now living in Munich and his in Inverness) still send Christmas cards to each other! It is a small world sometimes!
 wercat 28 Apr 2017
Applecross 1984 - Was lent a faulty TV to connect to a microcomputer system. No picture. Only equipment is multimeter and soldering iron - eventually found a faulty unmarked NPN transistor and said to myself "Looks like a BFY50 or similar". No parts in Applecross (apart from "Legs" who more or less inhabits the pub and has some "valves") obviously and no transport.

A day later and a walk across the bay up into the hills with the house collie. Descending a random steep slope there is something white in the vegetation some distance below. Coming to it I find remnants of a weather balloon and attached a n expanded polystyrene package containing a transmitter circuit board with a few transistors, one of which is a BFY50. Carting the board home I transplant the transistor and Hey Presto, a working TV!
Post edited at 13:48
 Mike Peacock 28 Apr 2017

Good thread and good stories. I feel that Littlewood's Law should get a mention:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood%27s_law

And this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_truly_large_numbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...