UKC

Bulk buying harnesses for groups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 27 Apr 2017
Hi all,

I'm running the climbing indoors for a kids camp this summer and wondering:

a) Where people would recommend bulk buying 10 decent (and very adjustable) harnesses from?
b) What harnesses is recommended. I remember buying DMM alpines before but didn't like the horizontal belay loop. Is there anything better that is so adjustable?

Thanks for help,

Jim
 timjones 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim Houghton:
> Hi all,I'm running the climbing indoors for a kids camp this summer and wondering:a) Where people would recommend bulk buying 10 decent (and very adjustable) harnesses from?b) What harnesses is recommended. I remember buying DMM alpines before but didn't like the horizontal belay loop. Is there anything better that is so adjustable?Thanks for help,Jim

We usually just email around the big name online suppliers for quotes.

Why do you have a problem with the horizontal loop? I quite like the fact that it provides a higher tie-in point when working with inexperienced youngsters.
Post edited at 16:37
 Wayne S 27 Apr 2017
Jim,

I notice rock and run sometimes sell cheap harnesses in 10 off prices. Other outlets are available.

Nordie_matt 27 Apr 2017

The DMM brenin harness is a centre (ie: no frills) style harness that has a more typical belay loop. Could be worth a look. Unfortunately can't help with who to buy wholesale from.

http://dmmclimbing.com/products/brenin/
 Jenny C 27 Apr 2017

Contact your local climbing shop and ask if they can offer any discount for a bulk order of gear for the climbing club.

Regarding the horizontal belay loop, having a high tie-in point is handy with beginners who lack the body tension to stay in a seated position when lowering. Also it is less "intrusive" if you are threading the rope through their harness for them. But as said above it is possible to get fully adjustable harnesses with a standard vertical belay loop, although the ones I used were a tangle of webbing straps and a faf to fit.
 Jamie Wakeham 27 Apr 2017

The Clog Centre harness was the standard for years - a really wide adjustment range, and tough as old boots. But there are a couple of really frustrating aspects - they have no gear loops at all, and the old fashioned buckles can be completely undone to leave the harness as a confusing mess of straps.

For those reasons, when I retire mine, I'll probably replace with DMM Brenin. If I worked solely with children I'd probably get Centre Alpine for the higher tie-in loop, but as I also teach ropework classes I'd rather have the belay loop in the 'usual' orientation.
OP Jim Houghton 27 Apr 2017

Thanks all. I find the horizontal loop a pain for teaching good belaying because the default position is with the rope running across you. Very open to any suggestions for sorting that though because, I agree, the high tie-in has advantages.
 barry donovan 27 Apr 2017

Right about the horizontal loop making the belay device sit in an odd place - gri gri is really awkward. We ordered dmm brenin with a vertical belay loop so the gear sits well and the tie in is the same orientation as any other harness. Dealing with aspiring climbers who will end up with their own gear in the long term.
 Tom Shields 27 Apr 2017

Dicks climbing in bristol does a discount if you buy more than £300.

I would say the alpine is the best harness for centre use as you can't really make a mistake when tying in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...