UKC

Seathwaite parking Borrowdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petegunn 27 Apr 2017
Parked down at Seathwaite today to go up Scafell and the farmer? has placed quite a lot of boulders along the road heading up to the farm and turning circle.
I know it can get extremely busy down there but I wonder who owns the road I.e are they within their rights to block the layby like that?
Anyone know anything?
 Dave the Rave 27 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Dunno, but who can blame him?
 Rob_Morris1996 27 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Take a look at this, the boulders could be as a result:
https://www.facebook.com/GlaramaraActivityHub/photos/a.569812006477363.1073...
Bellie 28 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

When I was in Wasdale a few years back, it was the NPA people or NT (can't recall fully) who were putting boulders on the edges. In order they said to force people to use the carpark, and not block the lanes where farmers were having problems getting down.

Someone I know used to have a farm on the end of one of these kind of lanes, and often idiots would just park up on the track to the farm entrance (not even on the road). Once confronted I remember her saying the posh bloke said its the country I'm allowed to park here and wandered off. Despite the fact he was blocking access to and from the farm. I can't remember whether his car was there when he got back!

coldfell 28 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

I heard that the farmer had opened one of his fields as a car park, for a charge of course. Over many decades of use I have never been aware of any issues of blocking access for the farmer.
Dorine
 wercat 28 Apr 2017
In reply to coldfell:

I thought that was for campers
 wercat 28 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Were you able to judge how far the boulders extend from the turning circle/farmyard gate?
 Indus 28 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

The boulders go up around 100m I presume so to not restrict access to the farm. The car park is £3 I think and worth it for keeping access and locals on side for current and future visitors.
OP petegunn 28 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

The boulders only probably stop 15/20 ( well parked) cars.
I can see why they have done it further down where the narrow parts of the road are but it just seemed a bit strange to block the wide area.
I've never seen any blockages in 20 years on that section that's all.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

AFAIK
The road is a publicly maintained public highway.

The highways land will probably extend to the adjacent wall.

The public and legal vehicles are entitled to use the highway and park within 15 metres of the hard surface.

Access along the road ( and to gateways off it ) must not be obstructed. Typically 3 metres width should be left for fire engines/appliances etc.

There is a huge demand from walkers and climbers for parking in this area.
The mile long road from Seatoller to Seathwaite has been used for this purpose for over fifty years in my experience, and probably since motor vehicles were invented, without major problems.
The most rammed I have seen it, only about half the distance from Seathwaite has ever been used, so plenty spare capacity ATM.
I normally drive to the turning spot, then take the first available space on the way out.
 Root1 29 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

I have noticed a lot of people parking side on to the wall, when people used to ALWAYS park bonnet to wall. You can probably get a third more cars parked this way.
Is it a selfish use of space or just ignorance, it never used to happen.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Root1:

> I have noticed a lot of people parking side on to the wall, when people used to ALWAYS park bonnet to wall. You can probably get a third more cars parked this way.Is it a selfish use of space or just ignorance, it never used to happen.

A typical car parking space is lined out at 2.4 m by 4.8 m on a formal car park.
Longways bays are 6 m by 2.4 m to allow for driving in.

In a 12m road edge, you can park 2 cars lengthways and 5 sideways by these criteria.
150% more parking.
So you are correct, sensible considerate parking wins out.

At Seathwaite, some of the road width only allows longways parking, its not wide enough for side parking.
In reply to petegunn:

Maybe he's heard about boulderers not liking long walk ins and thought he'd help out by putting some good blocs in the car park? What we talking here? Any steep crimpy walls?
 Dave the Rave 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Root1:

> I have noticed a lot of people parking side on to the wall, when people used to ALWAYS park bonnet to wall. You can probably get a third more cars parked this way.Is it a selfish use of space or just ignorance, it never used to happen.

Yeah. People tend to have more of a 'feck you, I'm alright' attitude nowadays.
 wercat 30 Apr 2017
In reply to petegunn:

I've always parked carefully there, 25 plus years, but I have to confess that once or twice in the "3 Peaks" season I've seen the road partly obstructed by thoughtlessly parked vehicles sticking out - iirc a tractor and trailer had difficulty getting through on one occasion due to the parked cars and queuing vehicles arriving. Not the rule though, and though it is hugely busy every Remembrance Sunday I've never seen an obstruction then.
 wercat 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Root1:

fully agree, though it was generally slantwise parking more than perpendicular to the wall
In reply to Rick Graham:

Totally agree Rick. Too many idiots park parallel. Brainpower lacking.
Dimwits.
Nose-in and respect others.
There is space for everyone.
DC
 Simon Caldwell 02 May 2017
In reply to coldfell:

> I heard that the farmer had opened one of his fields as a car park, for a charge of course

That's been the case for years. It's a nominal charge, via an honesty box, and good luck to him!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...