UKC

Hampi demolitions - How and why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pilo 28 Apr 2017
The following is taken directly from the UKC article,

DESTINATION GUIDE: Bouldering in Hampi, India
by Nick Brown - UKC Jan/2017
This article has been read 7,269 times

I write this guide with a slight caveat; Hampi is going to change drastically in the next couple of years. Under the guise of the area being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, all of the guesthouses within a 7-8km radius around the main temple area are going to be knocked down. This is an attempt to 'encourage' tourists to stay in Hospet, the nearest large town roughly half an hour away. Unfortunately, it's all very shady and underhand; a very sad end to many of the businesses that have flourished over the past couple of decades.

What follows is my opinion which is based on research, views from people in the area and a twenty years long experience of the place.

Why is the situation arising?
Are these people harming anybody or anything?
Who is really responsible for pushing through these demolitions?
Difficult questions to answer but I've tried to make a start in a more detailed article on this whole sorry state of affairs. To read the article.
http://pils-trips.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/hampi-island-demolition.html

I'm really sad about it but as I've been staying so long some of best friends on the planet are having their lives torn apart so of course I have a biased point of view. Spreading awareness is great but if anybody cares or has any suggestions to try and help do tell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...