UKC

Exercise Bike for personal use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
KrisBurns 29 Apr 2017
I'm going to buy a home gym machine soon because where I live, the gym membership is excessively expensive. So I figured it would be less expensive in the long run if I buy an Exercise Bike for personal use.

I'll be glad if you could recommend a good brand with a good price. Thanks!
 plyometrics 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'll put money on it ending up being a very expensive clothes horse.

Bikes aren't my thing, but would purchasing a road bike and turbo trainer not offer more flexibility in the long term?
 olddirtydoggy 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:
Ever seen that Rocky film where he's swinging those logs about and training outside? Looks a lot more fun that an indoor gym. Granny tossing could be fun.
Post edited at 08:48
 Shani 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:
Exercise bikes reduce what should be fun and healthful (the expenditure of calories), in to a miserable chore.

It will indeed become an expensive clothes horse/wardrobe within a year.

What are your goals? A rower (Concept 2), might be a better choice if you've a competitive side as there are forums to challenge/motivate yourself. But machines will gather dust....

A barbell with heavy plates and a suitable set/rep scheme is generally/usually the wisest purchase if you really want to go down the route of a home gym. Don't think you can't get fit, lean and mean with bodyweight fitness.

Depending on goals, I'd recommend you get a cheap bike and cycle outdoors all weather, or some trainers and walk/run. In winter get some gloves and a waterproof.
Post edited at 10:09
cb294 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:

If you are a cyclist, any exercise bike that can be set up as precisely as you are used from your regular road bike will be amazingly expensive. I have regularly used such a bike for lactate tests at my university sports department, and they are MUCH better than the crap you find in most gyms. Turbo trainers and your regular bike are the next best thing, but for proper bike feeling you are IMO much better off with with a roller (e.g.the Tacx antares or similar) .

CB
 wilkesley 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:

My wife bought an exercise bike a few years ago. It's been used about three times, by me. After a recent major operation I bought a Decathlon turbo trainer to help me get fit again. I used this with my winter bike for a while, before getting fit enough to cycle outdoors again.

The Decathlon turbo was quite cheap, around £60. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive models, but was fine for what I needed. I used my daughter's music stand as a holder for my tablet, so I could watch a video to ease the boredom.
 Dauphin 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

2nd that.

If you are committed to a home gym, a simple barbell without a bench for doing bb complexes and a c2 rower will provide much more in the way of results and novelty/ use longevity than an exercise bike.

C2's become an addiction, especially with the forums and software available these days.

D
 wbo 29 Apr 2017
In reply to KrisBurns:
That. An exercise bike will just break your spirit. Avoid!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...