UKC

any telephone engineers in the house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WB 29 Apr 2017
Hi,

I have just cut a telephone wire to a box in a spare room. It does not look to be connected to anything yet I have just lost my connection to the outside world from my telephone and WiFi box in another room that appears to have a completely independent line.

I have now tried to rewire the box, but still no joy.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance

WB
OP WB 29 Apr 2017
In reply to WB:

All sorted.
 wercat 29 Apr 2017
In reply to WB:

What had you actually done and how did you put it right?
OP WB 29 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

i have no idea why i lost the connection. All i can think is there is some sort of loop that goes from the box in the spare room back out of the house and back into the main room. Almost like the main room is an extension, but you cannot tell.

I rewired the box a second time, but I was still getting no connection so gave up and just screwed the box up. Then all of a sudden a connection.

so basically I have no idea how i broke it or fixed it. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful
 buzby 29 Apr 2017
In reply to WB:

if the wire you cut was a single wire going to one box with no other wire connected or running away from the box then the most likely cause is that the line is teed somewhere feeding both boxes from a main feed possibly outside the house on a wallbox. if you had left a loop or short circuit on the cut line it would still affect the other box even though it doesn't appear to be obviously connected. it could also have been backwired where one pair of wires takes the dial tone to your socket and comes back on another pair to feed the other socket in the same cable.
endless possibilities really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...