UKC

Is Scarfell Crag dry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 29 Apr 2017
Thinking of a trip Tommorrow or Monday up to do Moss ghyll groove., but will Scawfell crag be dry.
 John Kelly 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Russell Lovett:
At a guess - probably, been a dry winter, very little water in becks, bowfell butress was very dry last week even in place that would normally seep and been very little rain this week
Post edited at 14:17
 3leggeddog 29 Apr 2017

Most likely dry but Nithering
 bouldery bits 29 Apr 2017

I think you'll be reet.
 Mark Eddy 29 Apr 2017

Will be walking passed it tomorrow so will check it out.
Will be very cold though
 petegunn 30 Apr 2017

Looked pretty dry on Thursday, though there was quite a few ice smears that had formed so wrap up warm!
 dominic o 30 Apr 2017

We climbed on Neckband yesterday, and if that's anything to go by, it'll be dry but VERY CHILLY! Of course, with Scafell being another couple of hundred metres higher it might be toasty
 Jim 1003 30 Apr 2017

Some friends of mine said Sergeant Crag slabs had light rain yesterday morning. It's cloudy and very windy in the Lakes today, so it may not be completely dry. I would keep low for rock climbing ,it's so cold.
 Simon Caldwell 02 May 2017

So did you risk it? My guess would have been for dry and relatively OK temperature-wise (other popular crags were cold as they were exposed to the SE wind).
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

After reading some of the replys decided on slipstones, north yorkshire.
 Jon Stewart 02 May 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> So did you risk it? My guess would have been for dry and relatively OK temperature-wise (other popular crags were cold as they were exposed to the SE wind).

Relative to Greenland perhaps. I was on a dry, sheltered Goat Crag today and it was pretty damn cold on there even though it was baking in the sun. God bless any poor soul on Scafell.

In reply to Jon Stewart:
Agree. Lakes crags currently very dry, but cool East wind, freezing in shade, warmer in sun if sheltered.
Generally colder than 30-40 years ago.
Evenings cool down rapidly - even at Bram for example.
DC
 John Kelly 03 May 2017
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
Just been sat at the bottom of Castle rock as the sun the set over Raven crag
Rock - glowing orange in the setting sun and radiating in the infra red the energy stored during the day
woodpeckers silently patrolling the still bare ash trees and not a soul around, belting

Ps first cuckoo on Side pike 1/5/17
Post edited at 22:00
 Simon Caldwell 04 May 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

Beat you to it - cuckoo in Little Langdale on Sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...