UKC

Gore Active - Short Lifespan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 29 Apr 2017
Anyone else found Goretex Active to have a fairly short lifespan? I have a ME Firefox jacket, maybe 2014 model. It's not had a particularly hard life as I have a heavier weight jacket for winter and when I know it'll be wet; it gets carried more than worn. I wore it last weekend in moderately heavy rain and in under an hour the inside was practically dripping with water.

Condensation I hear you say. Granted, some of it likely was, but if I sweat that much I'd be taking 10 litres of water up the hill. Also, I know how damp I get in my heavier, warmer Goretex, and it's nowhere near, even when working hard.

I have washed it in pure soap, no difference. I'll be honest, the DWR isn't working at its finest, but again, no worse than my heavier jacket. I've had to conclude the membrane itself just leaks. I'd just like to know if I should cut my losses, accept light weight is at the expense of durability and avoid Gore Active in future, or if this sounds an unusally bad failure?

I have to say, with respect to Mountain Equipment, everything else about the jacket is fine and I'd happily keep wearing it otherwise, which makes it more frustrating!
 Andypeak 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Taurig:

The Mrs had a similar issue with her ME gortex active jacket (can't remember the model). That started leaking after about 18 months of light use. ME agreed and refunded her.
 Cheryl 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Taurig:

I returned my north face goretex active after just 5 months when it had its first proper soaking and leaked right through. It was sent off to NF who tested it and refunded me. My old (heavier) goretex lasted me 15 years and never leaked once until its last year.
OP Taurig 30 Apr 2017
Andy, Cheryl, thanks for the replies.

Sounds like you've found the same as me. I wonder if the ptfe membrane in Active is just thinner than regular 3 layer goretex, and more succeptible to failure after light use?

I'm not sure how long the ME warranty is but my guess is these are usually a year, 3 years or so? I might struggle to find the receipt too.
 OwenM 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Taurig:

I have a Firefox jacket (0214ish) that I've been using for backpacking it's now getting very worn around the shoulders where my rucksack straps go. I guess that's the trade off with lightweight material it's just not hard wearing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...