UKC

Pannier rack on mountain bike with no eyelets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 29 Apr 2017
Bought a used Genesis Core 20 yesterday as a commuter bike for the summer months. My previous bike was really heavy and not very user friendly but it did have a rack 'eyelets' (don't know what the correct term is, sorry) and I used the rack on it.

The Core however doesn't have any such facility but unfortunately I didn't realise this at the time of purchase. I know you can get P-profile clips for the lower connection points but is there anything stiff enough for seat post end? Something that's quick to mount and dismount would be great.

Any suggestions?
 gethin_allen 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Looking at pictures of the frame it looks like you have threaded holes on the rear dropouts (cast parts where the wheels bolt to the frame) you should be able to mount a rack to and then you use the p-clamps to attach to the seat stays (tubes from the drop outs to the frame near the seat post) or otherwise you can get clamps that attach to the seat tube.
 JLS 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Fraser:
Not great for heavy loads but might work...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-beam-rack-rx-with-side-racks/rp-p...
Post edited at 22:05
 girlymonkey 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I use one that bolts onto the seat post, it has no bottom attachments. I have had no problems with it. I've never used any others to compare it to.
 Gustavo 29 Apr 2017
In reply to Fraser:

You can get a rack which attaches via the quick release skewer and the seat post clamp.
OP Fraser 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Gustavo & the others:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll take a closer look at the dropouts later today but from a quick inspection I don't remember seeing anything suitable. The 'cantilevered-from-seatpost' option might be viable but I was hoping I could reuse my existing rack/pannier. It doesn't need to have a huge capacity, just enough for a change of clothes and some daily bits and bobs.

If all else fails, I suppose there is the simple, small rucksack solution but that would be my last favoured choice.

Cheers again.

In reply to Fraser:

The clip o the seatpost racks will easily carry what you want.
OP Fraser 30 Apr 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Just checked the frame and you're right, it does have threaded holes as you said. It was being masked by the q/r skewer lever. Thanks again.
 Guy Hurst 04 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:
The M Part or System EX seatpost clamps with rack mounts would sort out the problem of the lack of lugs on the seat stays. They are as cheap as chips, and easy to fit. Just make sure you get the right diameter clamp for your seatpost, and that the flexible metal strips on the rack are long enough to reach to the seatpost, rather than just the seat stays.
Post edited at 16:51
OP Fraser 04 May 2017
 Guy Hurst 04 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

That's the one, although the diameter available is too small for most seatposts. But the clamp is widely available in a range of diameters from other sellers. I saw some on the Tredz site a few days ago.
 gethin_allen 04 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

That's what I was talking about too. Useful if you have odd shaped seat stays/carbon frame/odd rear triangle shape but otherwise p clamps are fine.
OP Fraser 04 May 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks. I think it might have to be the seat clamp version as the seat stays are indeed triangular in section. The frame geometry is such that the top of the seat post is very low, so to achieve a horizontal rack would require a bit of an 'upwards cantilevered' (?!) connection. I don't think that would be too stable so will try and get a more lateral connection via the seat post.
 Guy Hurst 04 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

It doesn't really matter what angle the connecting rods or strips are at, since they don't bear any significant weight. They're mainly to stop the rack pivoting back and forth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...