UKC

Dolomites big trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Snell 30 Apr 2017
Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip to the Dolomites in 2018 for July, August and September. I'm bringing a family of four with me and we'll be looking to do all the normal activities (biking, via Ferrata, multi-pitch mega-routes etc) as well as engaging in some cultural stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations for long term accommodation in the area? Or, even better, does anyone have a house they'd like to swap for one in Melbourne, Australia (great for Arapiles and the Grampians!).

Thanks in advance
 snoop6060 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris Snell:
No but I'm well jealous. And if you ever decide for whatever reason you want to stay in Nottingham (which is basically good for no crags) I'll swap you my house. Well it's my girlfriend's house actually but I'll talk her into it. 35mins to the mighty masson lees which a bit like the dolomites in that it's loose and cold
Post edited at 09:13
 kenr 30 Apr 2017

Planning for rain is often important for the Dolomites.

So I suggest the NW area (as opposed to Cortina).
some reasons:
* more low-altitude cragging nearby.
* more + better indoor climbing gyms.
* easier escape to famous Arco / Sarche valley climbing (both sport cragging and big walls).
* quicker escape to Austria or SE Germany if dryer weather there.
* quicker access to Milano airport + city.
* quicker access to Munich airport + city.
. . . MUC is actually closer to the Dolomites than MXP).
* closer to some high multi-pitch sport-route areas, like Freia.
* close to lots of famous mountain Trad multi-pitch routes.
* closer to great _valley_ road-cycling (as well as the famous high passes).

Other than higher-elevation climbing, about the only alternative activity that Cortina d'Ampezzo is convenient for is visiting Venice.

Ken
Post edited at 17:30
OP Chris Snell 01 May 2017
In reply to kenr:

Thanks Ken. That's great knowledge. Being close to Arco and other places would be a bonus.

Chris
 Toerag 02 May 2017
In reply to Chris Snell:

Brenta Dollies are 2hr from Arco, the main Dollies are more - the roads get slow as you head up the Karerpass from Bolzano. As you're doing such a long trip I'd go for multiple bases, jumping around to follow the weather results in lots of driving and early starts or wasted days (been there, done that). I doubt you'll find accommodation a problem in July and Sept, but August could be. Check out the booking websites to see what availability is like.
 kenr 02 May 2017
Yes multiple bases make sense for a region with so many great things spread so widely. Just choose your days or week around Cortina for when you see a favorable weather forecast.

And I had forgotten about the Brenta group. Another reason to base in the NW Dolomites rather than Cortina.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...