UKC

I've just bought a mountain bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 30 Apr 2017
Is that it now for my climbing "career". Will I get hooked on chain oil and never fondle a tricam again? Is mtb-ing like snowboarding on dirt (which would be fantastic as I snowboard about 8 grades higher than I climb). Or is this a great way to access remote Munros (and Pillar Rock) as I've been persuading myself?

Interested to hear other climber's experiences so mods please don't move to the cycling forum.
baron 30 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:
We bought mountain bikes as an alternative to climbing on the many wet days of the yeaf.
Cycling always took second place to climbing until the foot and mouth crisis in whatever year that was.
Then cycling was a feasible alternative and did in fact replace climbing completely until about two years ago when , once again, the climbing bug returned.
We've had many great days on our mountain bikes, I hope you do to!
 TobyA 30 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

What type of MTB is it? That seems crucial in these issues.

Will you go bikepacking? I'm reliably informed that if cycling is the new golf, then bikepacking is the new cycling!
 timjones 30 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Interested to hear other climber's experiences so mods please don't move to the cycling forum.

That is a poor excuse for defiling a climbing forum with your consumeristic bragging

david100 30 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

You will climb again but only on good weather days. Any other time you will ride. You will spend a lot of time playing with suspension settings and it will never be quite right. You may maintain, upgrade or even build your own bikes ( what I do) or you may just take it to the local bike shop for the most insignificant repairs (a surprising number of people I meet do this-why?). It is not like snowboarding on dirt unless you crash. It is a great way to access remote places if they are not that remote ( bike trail or decent walking path required ). And eventually you will see it as just another way to spend time in the hills. Lastly pad up and wear a full face helmet. You will crash and it will hurt. ps I am not an expert.
OP BnB 30 Apr 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> What type of MTB is it? That seems crucial in these issues.Will you go bikepacking? I'm reliably informed that if cycling is the new golf, then bikepacking is the new cycling!

It's a full suspension one. I'm too old to go hardtail. And no to the bikepacking. I like a power shower.
 alan moore 01 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

Sounds like you've just given up climbing like so many before you. After all, any old bike will do for Scottish hill tracks and Pillar Rock.

The ultimate draw of mountain biking might be that it's easier on the nerves: you get scared after you've started, whereas with climbing you're scared before you even begin...
OP BnB 01 May 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> Sounds like you've just given up climbing like so many before you. After all, any old bike will do for Scottish hill tracks and Pillar Rock.The ultimate draw of mountain biking might be that it's easier on the nerves: you get scared after you've started, whereas with climbing you're scared before you even begin...

My experience so far is that rock climbing makes you wonder what hurtling towards a hard surface at 30mph would feel like, and mountain biking answers the question.
Rigid Raider 01 May 2017
In reply to david100:
> Lastly pad up and wear a full face helmet. You will crash and it will hurt. ps I am not an expert.

Cross-country riders don't need knee and elbow pads and certainly not a full-face helmet. That stuff is for downhillers who are likely to crash at high speeds. For a cross-country rider even a helmet is a matter of choice if all they are doing is riding forestry tracks. But on anything more necky than that a helmet makes good sense as it's not a bad idea to have a chunk of styrofoam between your head and the ground when you take a tumble. Most mountain bike falls happen as a result of stalling or getting a wheel wrong while negotiating rough terrain at slow speed and most are sideways falls onto grass or heather, though there's always a chance of an odd rock.

Once you've discovered how much fitness mountain biking gives you, go and buy a road bike. That's when you will see your fitness go stratospheric and the mountain bike will end up neglected in the garage as the greater thrill, finesse, style and subtlety of road riding begins to grab you, not to mention that fact that you can ride out for an hour from your front door and come home still clean but absolutely beasted.
Post edited at 09:08
 doz 01 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

you will still climb but you will never do a "long walk-in" again.....
you will however spend a lot of time pushing/carrying your bike convinced this is easier than walking in would have been and when you go over the handle bars with a full rack/axes/skiis on your back you will wonder why you spent so much money to look foolish - fortunately no-one will be there to laugh at you as your climbing partner will be several miles away doing wheelies and bunny hops, happy that you offered to carry the rack as you have a modern bike....
OP BnB 01 May 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Once you've discovered how much fitness mountain biking gives you, go and buy a road bike. That's when you will see your fitness go stratospheric and the mountain bike will end up neglected in the garage as the greater thrill, finesse, style and subtlety of road riding begins to grab you, not to mention that fact that you can ride out for an hour from your front door and come home still clean but absolutely beasted.

Yes fitness aims are a spur for me as carrying loads uphill (ie winter and multipitch climbing) is my only strength-building activity at the moment. Fortunately I live in Hebden Bridge so I can mtb out the back door.

A few local friends swear by their road biking, completing the TdY sportif yesterday. I doubt you'll see me in Lycra however.
 Robert Durran 01 May 2017
In reply to david100:

> You will climb again but only on good weather days.

Except all the good weather days when you are recovering from mountain biking accidents.
Rigid Raider 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

Beware though of reaching the point as I have, where 100% of your fitness comes from cycling; you will find that you can bound up hills like a gazelle, hardly breathing any faster but when you come to descend the other side your legs wil be screaming in agony and will be sore for days afterwards. Even our golden couple Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, whose fitness is arguably even more rigidly cycling-related than a road cyclist's, walked up a mountain on their honeymoon and noted that they were so stiff afterwards that they could hardly walk for three days.
 Tony Mitchell 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

It's possible to combine climbing & MTB for a full body workout. In Calderdale you link up several bouldering areas with brilliant trials in between. The only drawback is that you have to go without the bouldering mat!
 beardy mike 04 May 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Can 't say I'm that taken by road biking. I find it dull as hell. I tried for quite a considerable time to like it, but I just don't. Now, if yoiu mix in some dirt, give me crap brakes, curly handle bars that both road bikers and mountain bikers think you're odd for using, then I'm all over it...
 Chris the Tall 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Yes fitness aims are a spur for me as carrying loads uphill (ie winter and multipitch climbing) is my only strength-building activity at the moment. Fortunately I live in Hebden Bridge so I can mtb out the back door.A few local friends swear by their road biking, completing the TdY sportif yesterday. I doubt you'll see me in Lycra however.

Mountain biking is the gateway drug, it's only a matter of time before you try a road bike

I too used to treat it as a wet weather alternative to climbing, but then I discovered that it was even more fun in dry conditions. And rather than losing weight, I've developed these nice bulky legs, which are a right pain on anything overhanging.

And Hebden bridge - so much good riding on your doorstep - you may as well sell your climbing gear now.

Apart from anything else you'll need the money for maintenance of the full-suss, and deposit for the road bike
 rocksol 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

Great for weight control on climbing rest days Since I retired have lost 7Kg doing this. But it can take over Check ex rock notables on grumpy old climbers cycling page!
 ChrisJD 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

I now just mountain bike.

As you live in the Hebden Alps (great biking to be had round your way!), I'd wear pads out riding. (I wear knees and shins most rides in Peak, riding flats).

Get yourself entered (if still space) in the PMBA Enduro at Lee Quarry/Havoc 3/4th June, right on your doorstep.
 sg 04 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

it's all a blast on the right day. I remember the first time I really got moving down one of the long flowing sections at Coed y Brenin, grinning from ear to ear thinking it wasn't far off skiing for a thrill (and I've never been on a downhill bike). but then road biking is awesome too - although I've always struggled to enjoy it as much in the uk after a couple of brilliant trips to the Alps where the roads are smoother, there's less traffic and the hills are ten times bigger. but in truth, I'd still rather climb / boulder when I can, and if not that, then run in the mountains. aren't we lucky to have so many ways to have fun?!
In reply to BnB:

You naughty boy, go and sit in the corner and beat yourself with a big stick!
Seriously, I suspect there is a latent gene in many of us climbers of a certain age that gets triggered and we find ourselves getting into cycling.
Until a few years ago I had one mountain bike that I rode occasionally, now all of a sardine there are 5 bikes in the shed and last time I checked I still only have one backside!
Still I can present "strong" spouse convincing (at least in my mind) arguments why all are necessary, and of course they were all absolute bargains....
OP BnB 05 May 2017
In reply to taddersandbadger:

> You naughty boy, go and sit in the corner and beat yourself with a big stick! Seriously, I suspect there is a latent gene in many of us climbers of a certain age that gets triggered and we find ourselves getting into cycling. Until a few years ago I had one mountain bike that I rode occasionally, now all of a sardine there are 5 bikes in the shed and last time I checked I still only have one backside! Still I can present "strong" spouse convincing (at least in my mind) arguments why all are necessary, and of course they were all absolute bargains....

I think I've snuck more than 20 jackets under the watchful gazein the last 5 years so an extra bike or two should be a doddle
Removed User 05 May 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Except all the good weather days when you are recovering from mountain biking accidents.

Allow me to correct that for you. Months.
Removed User 05 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

> My experience so far is that rock climbing makes you wonder what hurtling towards a hard surface at 30mph would feel like, and mountain biking answers the question.

Rock climbing taught me well how it feels to hurtle towards a hard surface. Mountain biking took it a stage further and informed me of how it feels to hit a hard surface. It's painful, expensive and very time-consuming.
 descender8 07 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

Bit of mtbing is good for the sole and or your climbing ,
Whatever you do don't buy a road bike though !!!! It's the only sport that gets in everyone else's way and would be exactly the same in your front room / gym but not holding everyone else up / hogging the roads that people need to use !
 jethro kiernan 07 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

> I think I've snuck more than 20 jackets under the watchful gazein the last 5 years so an extra bike or two should be a doddle

Choose your bike colour wisely, as you'll need to make sure your bike upgrades are the same colour as the first bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...