UKC

NEWS: Swiss Alpinist Ueli Steck Dies on Everest RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Apr 2017
Ueli on Pointe Walker, 3 kbAccording to a report on The Himalayan times website, Swiss Alpinist Ueli Steck - known as the 'Swiss Machine' - has died in an accident near Camp I on Mount Everest. His body was discovered by six rescuers near the Nuptse Face of Everest on Sunday morning local time.Read more
 luke glaister 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Seen this on Facebook earlier. Very sad news. When the boundaries are pushed. Bad things happen. Rip ueli.
 Patrick Roman 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no!!
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news indeed.
 iknowfear 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

RIP Ueli.
 Tommy Harris 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news.. gutted, huge inspiration to myself and others.. died doing what he did and loved most.. RIP and Condolences to his family.. Always be a legend and true athlete in my head.
 FreshSlate 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:
We would always hear about Ueli's amazing record breaking solo efforts and as someone who knew exactly what he was doing. RIP Ueli Steck.
Post edited at 10:34
 Yanis Nayu 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no! RIP
 Timmd 30 Apr 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Yes. I somehow imagined he'd live to grow old like other very skilled climbers and mountaineers.

Paul Figg 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Tragic news but not unsurprising when you spend as much time in the mountains as he did always pushing the envelope as much as he did. A truly remarkable athlete who achieved so much. Condolences to family and friends.
 Calvi 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

First thing I heard when I woke up this morning, so very sad.
 Tom Last 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Ah no that's sad
 Jimbob11 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

One of those stories that I hoped was Fake News at first. Gutted. RIP Ueli and condolences to all those affected by the loss of a great man.
Bellie 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I've been taking some time for this to sink in. I don't have many people that inspire me, and Ueli was one of those.

Always engaging to listen to. Will be greatly missed.

RIP

Bergvagabunden 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Really sad to hear this news , he was one of a kind. Somehow, watching him climb, he seemed indestructible ; R.I.P Ueli ..
 Bergvagabunden 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Really sad to hear this news , he was one of a kind. Somehow, watching him climb, he seemed indestructible ; R.I.P Ueli ..
 Greenbanks 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Dreadful news. An iconic figure.
 climber34neil 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad, as said already totally inspirational and seemed indestructible, the loss of a legend
 Rick Graham 30 Apr 2017
In reply to climber34neil:
> Very sad, as said already totally inspirational and seemed indestructible, the loss of a legend

I agree, however Ueli knew to himself that incessant speed soloing record seeking was unsustainable. A few years ago he appeared and stated that he was stepping back a bit from his own cutting edge.

RIP
Post edited at 12:03
 olddirtydoggy 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

I was trying to find that vid just earlier as I remember him saying many of his earlier contemporarys had perished because they didn't know when to stop. It just goes to show what a drug this all is.
 elliott92 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Genuinely gutted. He inspired me so much I had one of his quotes tattooed on my arm. A great man. RIP brother
 RyanOsborne 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news, that video of him storming up the Eiger always made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
 Offwidth 30 Apr 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I think its really unfair to imply an addiction leading to inevitable higher risk. In many ways what Ueli did was safer as 'just being there' is one of the most dangerous things in Himalayan mountaineering and so moving fast probably reduced risks. We have no idea if this wasn't just really bad luck that kills sherpas, clients and independant mountaineers regularly and will continue to do so in the future. I think too many project their own insecurites about certain climbing games in such circumstances.

I'm sure we can all agree its really sad news.
 Strife 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Statement from his facebook page:

"April 30, 2017

Information to the media

Ueli Steck deadly injured

Ueli Steck was killed while trying to climb Mount Everest and the Lhotse. His family has learned of his death today. The exact circumstances are currently unknown. The family is infinitely sad and asks the media builders to refrain from speculation about the circumstances of his death due to respect for Ueli.

As soon as there are reliable findings on the causes of Uelis Steck's death, the media will be informed. The family asks the media for understanding that they will not provide any further information at the time."

RIP, legend
 JohnBson 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

RIP Ueli. Legend
In reply to UKC News:

Was saddened to learn of this this morning. Alex Honnold, I would have been equally as saddened but would not have been so surprised. Ueli however? I envisioned him getting old in the mountains.
Gone for good 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Such sad news.
RIP Ueli. The greatest alpinist of his generation in my very humble opinion.
Post edited at 13:13
Removed User 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

awful, awful news. Quite apart from seeming to be on another level altogether, he gave every impression of being a totally decent bloke too.
 AlisonS 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sorry to hear this. He was an inspiration. Condolences to his family and friends.
I can eat 50 eggs 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

People are even talking about it here in Vietnam.

Devastated.

RIP big man.

Pipecleaner 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Genuinely sad news, as it is when anyone looses their life. A great inspiration, a great innovator, a great ambassador and visionary climber...someone who has changed climbing rather than just been a climber.
He seemed a genuinely nice and humble guy too, tho I've never met him.
Sincere condolences to his family.
The world is definitely worse for his passing.
 TheFasting 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:
It's going to take a long time for me to recpver from this one. I've followed Ueli since I first took an interest in mountaineering 10 years ago. I knew everything he did, watched every interview and read every article. When I was training I read his thoughts on training for inspiration.

This is especially sad since he said he was done with high risk Himalayan alpinism after Annapurna. He thought it would be reckless to push it further. Turns out he was right.

I thought the news was a joke at first because he just seemed to sensible and competent. That's how good he was, that I just couldn't believe it.

I read about it when I was out climbing, paying my dues until I can climb the same routes he was on. Which was... I don't know what it was.

I don't think I'll ever forget him.
Post edited at 14:37
 Bristoldave 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

RIP. Very sad to hear this. A true legend.
In reply to UKC News:

RIP Ueli
 James_Kendal 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad for this, such a legend.
 hwackerhage 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news. The most inspiring Alpinist of his generation. He had it all: an outstanding rock and winter climbing ability as well a high endurance capacity. Add to that suitable altitude genetics and inspiring objectives and you get an Ueli Steck as a result.

Unfortunately, the risk was that high that such an accident was a possibility and perhaps even likely.

Rest in peace and thanks for the memories.
 Milnes 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Incredibly sad news. Huge amount of respect for a truly inspirational and visionary athlete.
 Gawyllie 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Massive loss to mountaineering and certainly my hero.

Went to a lecture he done a couple of years back. Genuinely nice guy as well

RIP
 RX-78 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news, my som has a poster of him on his wall, saw him speak last year in London, seemed very down to earth. Condolences to family and friends.
The Himalayan Times Article has the line...

"The team has collected the scattered parts of the climber’s body".... which sounds fairly grim

mountainbagger 30 Apr 2017
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

> The Himalayan Times Article has the line... "The team has collected the scattered parts of the climber’s body".... which sounds fairly grim

I took that to be a mistranslation of belongings/kit...rather hopefully.
 kwoods 30 Apr 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:

Genuinely sad to hear this. When I read it this morning I had to do a double take, check for any April Fools, then take a seat...

Maybe unusually for someone pushing the absolute limits, I really didn't expect to hear this. Perhaps because he'd mentioned stepping away from the limit, or just for being so phenomenal at what he did.

The film of him battering up the summit snowfields of the Eiger blew me away a few years ago. Absolutely shit news.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Apr 2017
In reply to kwoods:

Well put - my thoughts exactly.
 Gambit 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news, a true legend, his life touched so many. My condolences to his family
 GDes 30 Apr 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
That video, Christ. Never fails.
 Neil Williams 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> Yes. I somehow imagined he'd live to grow old like other very skilled climbers and mountaineers.

I hoped it would - but had difficulty believing it given the kind of thing he was doing. Sure, his skills were absolutely superb, but sometimes things happen that you can't do anything about.

OTOH, he died doing what he loved, and I doubt he was ever in any doubt as to the risks. And given that I am basically a big wuss, I really admire what he was doing.
Post edited at 21:13
 Wainers44 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Such a big world, so many people, so few who really try. Such a loss.
 alx 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

That is sad news indeed!
In reply to UKC News:

Awful news just terrible
 Timmd 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> OTOH, he died doing what he loved, and I doubt he was ever in any doubt as to the risks. And given that I am basically a big wuss, I really admire what he was doing.

Indeed. I guess he chose his own life path and lived it fully and with an awareness of what was involved.

Blue Straggler 30 Apr 2017

> I took that to be a mistranslation of belongings/kit...rather hopefully.

Almost certainly.
 kolkrabe 30 Apr 2017
In reply to kwoods:

Same here, immediately checked the calendar then realised it was the end of April and my heart sank.

I've been a bit surprised at how much this has affected me today, feels like a monumental loss. I can't imagine how this is for his family and friends.

Bobling 30 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Kick in the balls. Like Dean Potter I thought he was invincible. Climb with the angels now Ueli.
In reply to UKC News:

Shocked to hear this. I met him in London a few years ago. It was amazing to meet someone with the skills to push the limits so far. Sadly no matter how skilled, in a lifetime of climbing it only takes one mis-step, or one moment where you fall foul of nature. His feats will never fail to inspire me. RIP
 maxsmith 01 May 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

...when his left foot wobbles at 1 min 50 - gets my chest every single time I watch it. sad news..
 DerwentDiluted 01 May 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Like watching water flow uphill. RIP
 Doug 01 May 2017
Obituary from Ed Douglas in The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/01/ueli-steck-obituary

(& so far no stupid comments)
pasbury 01 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Shocking and saddening. A supreme alpinist.

Rad 01 May 2017
Truly tragic. RIP Ueli. My thoughts are with his family who must now go on without him.

I just hope that he was knocked unconscious by a falling rock or ice fragment and didn't suffer.
 fmck 01 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

its one of those moments that you know you will remember the moment for the rest of your life where you were when you heard the news.. what a great talent lost and one of the biggest I can remember in 35 years in the mountains.
 Neil Williams 01 May 2017
In reply to Rad:

Indeed, it's to be hoped that he didn't know about it.
 ripper 02 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Quite simply a superhuman. So sad, so many of us thought him invincible, although I'm sure the man himself had no such illusions
 SenzuBean 02 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

youtube.com/watch?v=Us4lW7ElEn8&

Short video on his plans for Everest -> Lhotse. Has a different tone now. :/
 Martin W 02 May 2017
> I took that to be a mistranslation of belongings/kit...rather hopefully.

On the basis of some rather gruesome descriptions I've read of other similar situations, I wouldn't bank on that.

Which is all by-the-by and best not dwelt upon: the world has lost a great athlete and an unequalled mountaineer. RIP Euli, you were an inspiration to so many.
Post edited at 09:34
 SuperLee1985 02 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Damn! Went to a talk of his in London a few years ago, seemed like a thoroughly nice chap, was very shocked when I read this this morning.
 malk 02 May 2017
In reply to Bobling:

> Like Dean Potter I thought he was invincible. Climb with the angels now Ueli.

Alex H commented similarly : "Ueli was so solid. I’m starting to realize, though, that doesn’t matter. I though the same about Dean Potter. There’s always a degree of randomness involved."
http://www.outsideonline.com/2179186/world-reacts-ueli-stecks-death
cb294 02 May 2017
In reply to malk:
Cumulative risk. If there is a nonzero chance of slipping on a hidden layer of ice, getting knocked off balance by a random piece of ice or rock, whatever, say once every 10.000 hours, you or me will likely get a away with it, simply by lack of exposure (and especially as I would be too afraid to climb much of the stuff unroped that these pros simply run across). Spend enough time in dangerous territory, and statistics become stacked against you. I am totally sure that Ueli Steck was aware of this, and died doing what he loved best despite the risk.

Very sad news regardless,

CB
Post edited at 12:00
 jazzyjackson 02 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Seems that Ueli had mixed emotions about Himalayan climbing with several previous incidents logged.

It's hard not to see these previous experiences as portents to some degree.

So many distractions around Everest climbing but clearly he believed it was worth it.

A sad day .RIP Ueli
 descender8 02 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

A very sad loss , my condolences to his family .
The world was a better place with
Ueli Steck
 rocksol 02 May 2017
In reply to cb294:
Desperate news. Was driving with Brian Hall who knew him really well, when we heard the news on radio. Total silence/shock but not surprise
Totally agree with your analysis and points
Alex McIntyre; rock on head. I once said to him "you,ll end up famous or dead" It was both!
With reference to a previous comment, high end sloing is highly addictive. I once had that conversation with Al Rouse who was my climbing partner up to his death on K2. That cured me of dangerous projects and I'm now in middle age clipping bolts. We both agreed that on completion of one project, the inevitable tendency is to ratchet it up. In very dangerous situations with objective danger you also need a large dollop of luck!!!
 Si_G 02 May 2017
In reply to malk:

> Alex H commented similarly : "Ueli was so solid. I’m starting to realize, though, that doesn’t matter. I though the same about Dean Potter. There’s always a degree of randomness involved.

I read that earlier and wondered whether Honnold might reconsider his free-solo antics.
It doesn't matter how good you are if a hold snaps off and you're already committed.
 AlXN 03 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry to see you go, Ueli. You were the boldest and the best at what you did. I thought you were immortal; probably many did. You inspired many, those with years of climbing ahead of them, and those who'd hung up their boots, each in their own way. I'm sorry for the family mourning your loss. I hope you didn't suffer. RIP Ueli Steck.
 Neil Williams 03 May 2017
In reply to AlXN:
I really want to like your post. As the buttons are off, here it is.
Post edited at 17:58
 Mick Ward 03 May 2017

And from me too.

Mick
 sg 03 May 2017

Me too. Hard to believe and very sad. RIP
 AlXN 04 May 2017
In reply to elliott92:

Ah, which quote?
 mbh 12 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

There is a brief profile/obit of him on today's R4 programme "Brief Words". His is the first profile. Get it on iPlayer.
 Tom Last 12 May 2017
In reply to mbh:

> There is a brief profile/obit of him on today's R4 programme "Brief Words". His is the first profile. Get it on iPlayer.

Last Word?
 Patrick Roman 13 May 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

Yep, this is the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pgswm#play

Two weeks on and I still find the news incredibly sad. The clip is very moving.
 mbh 13 May 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

Yes sorry, I got the title wrong.
 Tony Jones 13 May 2017
In reply to Patrick Roman:

Thanks for the link. Well worth a listen.
 GDes 13 May 2017
Has any more information emerged as to what actually happened to ueli? Was it rockfall?

mbh 13 May 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks for correcting me on the title of the Last Word programme. I often listen to it and, almost as often, conflate its title with that of of Aubrey's Brief Lives, a collection of short biographies which I much like and wherein much 17th century ravishing occurs.

The programme features 4 or so obituaries of notable, but not necessarily well known people that have died in the last week. I listen with amazement at what these people have achieved, but have never before, I think, been emotionally moved, not having known these people myself. With the piece on Ueli, oddly, I was moved. When the programme started and I heard that he was to be one of the subjects, it was like another nail in the coffin. I realised that I still didn't want his death to be true. Sir Chris contributes to the clip and all in all it is very moving.
 Robert Durran 13 May 2017
In reply to Patrick Roman:

> Two weeks on and I still find the news incredibly sad. The clip is very moving.

Yes, a really well put together piece - I feared it might be a bit "tabloid", but it did real justice to Steck and to mountaineering.

MarkM 16 May 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Another moving and thought-provoking tribute, this one by Steve House... http://mailchi.mp/uphillathlete/uelisteck
 elliott92 16 May 2017
In reply to AlXN:

Adventure is inside us all. Embrace it. I remember hearing him say it in an interview when I was just starting out climbing and I loved it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...