UKC

Setting up a business in France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1234None 30 Apr 2017
Does anyone here have experience of establishing an EURL or SARL in France?

If so, is it much more complex than setting up a UK Ltd company (I'm expecting the answer to be a resounding yes!)? What are the major differences?

I expect turnover to reach 500k Euros after around 3-5 years, so what's the best option (EURL or SARL). I will be the sole employee, and the business will be a sales agency for medical/research equipment and software. I've read around online and am still a little bemused.

Also, are there companies that'll do all the set up for me and provide a registered office address, as there are here in the U.K.?

Thanks for any help and advice.
 The Ice Doctor 01 May 2017
In reply to 1234None:

Can I have a job please?
OP 1234None 01 May 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

How does a zero hours contract sound?
 Mr Lopez 01 May 2017
In reply to 1234None:

> How does a zero hours contract sound?

It sounds illegal in France
 Francois R 03 May 2017
In reply to 1234None:

Setting up a company in France is simple.
Choosing first the legal status that suits you best is complex.

An EURL looks like the right status for you but depending on your various objectives in the short and long term, you should seek advice from a chartered accountant (expert-comptable) and the local CCI where you live ( http://www.cci.fr/web/organisation-du-reseau/annuaire ). Some parameters to take into account: expected TO, tax on income and dividends, social contributions, legal obligations, your status regarding social security, your total household revenues.

If you decide for an EURL, you can also opt in for a much simpler tax status to start with, dedicated to very small businesses: "auto-entrepreneur". If your annual turnover is less than €80k or so, you benefit from a VAT exemption and the tax your company pays is a flat fee based on the turnover. So it is much less administrative work. Once your company gets bigger you will have to switch to a standard status.

EURL and SARL are basically the same breed, EURL being for sole partnership while SARL requires at least 2 partners. The main difference is the following (apart from the start up tax status described above): when you set up an EURL you can opt in for the income tax (personal tax) instead of the corporation tax. Depending on the rest of the household's revenues, the income tax option may be more interesting.

Just google it and you will find companies that will help you set up the legal side of your business (if you don't trust what you find on the internet, the CCI may advise instead).

[For your information, another legal status you could choose is the SASU (société par actions simplifiée unipersonnelle). Unlike the EURL/SARL it has a corporation status (ie equities) and enables you to be considered as an employee of your company. Pros: no NI on dividends. Cons: higher NI on your salary. A comparison here if you read French: http://www.lecoindesentrepreneurs.fr/eurl-et-sasu-comparaison/ ]

[Also the next President intends to change the social status for company directors...]
 Toerag 03 May 2017
In reply to 1234None:
Am I right in reading that you're going to turn over half a million a year in fees as a sole salesman? Blimey! Or sell half a million's worth of equipment?
Post edited at 14:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...