UKC

Do you pay extra to renew car tax online?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have just tried to renew my car tax online. The reminder letter from the DVLA states that 12 months tax is £235. I have just gone to renew it online with a one off full payment by card and the site was asking me for £245. Do they charge you an extra £10 for renewing online?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:
Double check you ended up at the DVLA and not one of the sites that 'do it for you' for a fee,

Chris
Post edited at 21:52
 rubble 30 Apr 2017
from memory, they don't charge extra ... but make sure the site you are using is the correct one as there are several third party sites (which resemble very closely the official one) who can do the deed but add on a fee.
Post edited at 21:54
 JLS 30 Apr 2017

I got charged an extra £10 as well. Pretty sure it was the legit .gov.uk site, as I'd typed in the url rather used a search engine... But who knows?

gethin_allen 30 Apr 2017
were you trying to pay with a credit card? the fee is something like 2.5% IIRC, there's no fee for using a debit card.
Post edited at 22:36
 Dave B 30 Apr 2017

Credit cards cost more. Debit card is the std price...
 JLS 30 Apr 2017

I just double checked. It was the correct site. It has a warning saying about changes in the recent budget meaning the cost on the paper work is now out of date.

https://vehicletax.service.gov.uk
I think it is because they changed car tax in the budget. They charge you the rate on the day you renew even if they have already sent a bill with the previous years rate on it.

It may be a government website but whether it is 'legit' is a different question.
Post edited at 22:39
 JLS 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave B:

But only £2.50. What looked like an overcharge was circa £12.50

In reply to JLS:
> I just double checked. It was the correct site. It has a warning saying about changes in the recent budget meaning the cost on the paper work is now out of date.

Looks like that could be the explanation. I couldn't find the warning about the cost on paperwork being out of date but the official DVLA site does give the cost as being £245. I also found this link giving the same £245 for cars registered before 2001 and stating the rate applies from 1st April this year:

http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx?t=23ude39

Thanks to everybody who replied.
Post edited at 06:20
 digby 01 May 2017

Yes it's the increase. That'll teach me to pay immediately the letter arrives
 wercat 01 May 2017

did you get any trouble with the other business with the bollard?
In reply to wercat:

No further developments as yet other than the driver not budging from her insistence that I was entirely to blame.
 wercat 01 May 2017

well we all know that isn't true for a start!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...