UKC

Anyone here following Training for the New Alpinism?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 01 May 2017
As the title says, anyone on here following this training guide? If so, I'd be interested to swap experiences and questions.

Have a 6 week transition phase planned which I started today:

Weekly aim is 3 aerobic sessions (running) and 2 general strength sessions a week.

Start point is 180 minutes of aerobic exercise and 2 general strength sessions (with core workout as warm-up) a week. Every 2 weeks 10% increase in the aerobic total and 1 extra circuit in the strength session.

Starting breakdown is:

Aerobic is a 60 min run at Zone 1 (100-135bpm), 90 min run in Zone 1, and a 30 min run in Zone 2 (136-144bpm).
Strength is a 8 exercise circuit (alt. lower/upper body) doing 10 reps each exercise at comfortable weight, 2 circuits.

Anyone care to share their plans?
 Alex Riley 01 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I can't comment on plans, but one of my friends climbed Annapurna without o2 and he based most of his training on the book.
 betathief 01 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

This is a fantastic book and out of all the ones I've read and seen is very comprehensive. All I would advise is that you get into a good routine and vary up what you are doing to stop it getting boring. Also core training should not be done for a warm up, and should have a key part in your strength program.
OP JayPee630 02 May 2017
In reply to the ant hill mob:

The book recommends a core workout as a warm up for the general strength sessions actually. As as you've read it I'm sure you know that periodization is a major part of the training programs, so no problems with variation.
Bserk 02 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I am preparing for two weeks in Chamonix end of July including MB. Started beginning of April, at the moment my training looks like this:

3 x week strength training (split plan)
3 x week aerobic sessions (2 x 60 min, 1 x 120 min / Zone 1 & 2)
2 x week anaerobic session (2 x 30 min / Zone 3)

an-/aerobic sessions are mainly running and I cover about 50km per week.
 planetmarshall 02 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

The book has its own website and forums, where you might have a better chance of a commend from Scott Johnson. https://www.uphillathlete.com/forums/
OP JayPee630 02 May 2017
In reply to Bserk:

That sounds good (and a lot!). Did you do a transition plan then that's yr base period? What yr HR zones in bpm if you can be bothered to say.

That's roughly 8 hours a week I'm guessing? If that's what yr on now after a month, it's going to be a heavy program in another 3 months!

betathief 02 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Hey,

A warm up should consist of getting the body ready for the exercise you are about to undertake, rather than be a workout in itself on a specific area was the point i was trying to make. I just had a look in the book and can't find the warm up/core workout bit could you point me in the right direction/page just so i can see their justification for it?

I only mentioned it from my own experience about a specific core workout, and also the utter importance of the core in all sports but especially climbing, I remember this is highlighted in the book on multiple occasions.
OP JayPee630 02 May 2017
In reply to the ant hill mob:

Yeah, I do a few light reps of each of the exercises after the core warm-up as well. I don't have the book to hand, but it very clearly says a few times to do the core workout as a warm up to the general strength sessions.
 Mr Fuller 02 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I read the book cover-to-cover and used aspects of it in preparation for an expedition a couple of years ago. It helped me enormously and I felt extremely fit while I was out there. I've followed the same rough idea for Alpine trips since then and think I have definitely been fitter as a result of reading the book and changing my training versus what I used to do.

The big new thing for me in the book was getting in lots of low intensity volume work while supplementing with hard sessions. I did one or two strength sessions a week - either steep bouldering or circuit training. I didn't do any gym work, and still don't.

One word of note is that the book's approach is very much designed for Alpinism - i.e. long and slow efforts. I spent about a year wondering why my cycling was not improving greatly based on my training. The thing is, while I was building a massive engine for zone 1 and zone 2 I wasn't getting any faster on the bike as I just didn't have the leg power. That was an easy fix though - just chuck in a few more fast efforts and lots of hard hill reps.
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I picked up a copy as a result of this thread. Hoping to do something big later in the year and don't think I'm fast enough.

Right now I'm just working on base fitness while I read the rest and work out what I need to aim for. Current thoughts are that running 2-3 times a week, & walking once a week will cover the aerobic side but not sure what to do for the strength sessions.

I get horrifically bored at gyms, and find that part is a real stumbling block.
OP JayPee630 09 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

How come you're not sure what to do for strength? The book has a whole routine for you? Also some out-of-gym ideas that look good.

I've altered the general strength routine for the transition period, but following the general idea - circuit of 8 exercises with lower weights (50% 1RM) and for 10 reps each, increasing number of circuits done over time. Only takes an hour for 1 core warm-up followed by 2 times through.
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
I was unclear. What I meant was that I'm not sure exactly how much strength is required for the route I wish to do this summer, but as it is long rather than hard it may be better to focus on other aspects.

And the book only arrived a couple of days ago so I'm not quite that far into it.
Post edited at 20:45
OP JayPee630 09 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yeah, TBH the grade I climb strength isn't really that important, but the book talks about having a high muscular max strength to enable more to be converted into muscular endurance which might be more relevant?
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
I can undestand that. Also I had to crank a fair bit harder than usual on a route on Sunday, and am still feeling it. I could have a problem if that happened mid route.
Post edited at 21:21
 wbo 11 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
Where are you getting copies from - direct from Patagonia?
OP JayPee630 11 May 2017
In reply to wbo:

It's on Amazon, and there's copies in Cotswold Outdoor, and probably loads of other places, have seen it in Waterstones too.
Bserk 11 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

This is more or less my base plan and I will increase the Zone 1&2 training volume 4-5 weeks before.

I am 33 years old, 6'4 tall, 93kg, got a max HR of 192 and a rest HR of 55. 6.4'
 d_b 11 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

OK. I just got through the relevant section on strength training. Makes more sense now.

I aim to have an actual plan by the middle of next week.
 Roberttaylor 12 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

What's the objective?
 d_b 12 May 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:
One of the routes on the N face of Spik, early September. Not that technically difficult, but about 900m of climbing up to VS in a day. Descent is less demanding - easy VF and walk down the other side I believe.
Post edited at 09:30
 d_b 16 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

For my transition period I have decided to go with:

1x hour long run (z1)
1x shorter run (z1/2)
1x long run or walk (z1), depending on how weekends play out.

2x strength sessions with core workout as warmup.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...