UKC

Hardtail MTB £650 +/- £100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dear All,
my Carrera Fury was stolen, what is the collective wisdom on a hardtail replacement for it please?
(I'm 55, 100kg 6'2", peak based, just want it for trails out and about)
Thanks in advance.
Adrian
 ChrisJD 02 May 2017
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

Have a look at this past thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=659661
 illepo 02 May 2017

I recently bought a voodoo bizango on sale for 500 quid. i think it's great. it gets brill reviews in sub 750 quid category and normally costs 650. so i think i got a great bike for the money.

Thinking of getting rid of my Cove Stiffee as not riding it at all recently. As the bottom has completely dropped out of the 26" wheel market, you could have it for £190.

Large, 19.5" frame, Shimano SLX, Race Face, Sun Ringle wheels and WTB kit. Forks are Rock Shox Argyll, 140mm, with rebound and compression adjust. All bearings in excellent condition: rear wheel bearing changed along with BB, brakes (SLX) and chain. Pretty sure all the replacement kit can't have done much over 100 miles, if that. Running 1 x 9 but have all old kit to convert back to 2 x 9. Very good overall condition - heli taped when built up.

Very capable all rounder: just search for some old reviews of frame.

There is a pic of it in my photo album. Anyone else interested I'm based in South Manchester.
 MonkeyPuzzle 02 May 2017

As ChrisJD says, there are some good existing threads on this, but (as I probably stated in those) for your budget, personally, I'd be looking at getting something second hand - the quality of frame and finishing kit for £650 would be night and day from a new bike at the same price.
 ChrisJD 02 May 2017

And as you are Peak based: if you can up the budget, pop into Alpkit in Hathersage and take a look at their Transmitter hardtail:

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-transmitter
 Taurig 03 May 2017

I'd recommend taking a look at Pinnacle, Evans Cycles own brand. Bought an Iroko 1 last year and really rate it, great geometry. Only issue is they seem to have taken a price hike for 2017, however they do have other models in your budget.
 sxrxg 04 May 2017

Another Carrera Fury? The 2017 model is well equipped being one of the cheapest bikes with a 1x11 gear set up, decent aluminium frame for trail riding, decent hydraulic disc brakes, 27.5" wheels, not too heavy.

If you use the discount code BIKES10 you can get 10% off bringing the price down to £432 - don't think you will find a better value new bike available at the moment.
 mike123 05 May 2017
There are some hard tails in the latest ribble clearance that might be worth a look ?

Thanks for your replies,
all food for thought !
Ta
Adrian.
 Ben07 06 May 2017
Buy the cove stiffee above if it's the right size. I've got one and there really good bikes. Pretty much indestructible. £190 is a bargain. I paid £150 just for the same frame.
Post edited at 06:51

So, I bought a 2016 Boardman from Halfords, 10% off with an online code, £75 of 'accessories'.
£500 ish for a well specced hardtail
120mm travel forks,
2x 10 gears,
hydraulic brakes,
and a guarantee.

Thanks for everybody's input, I admit I took the easy option.

Will update you all, next time I end up in the Northern General, getting discharged with 5 broken ribs, a subluxed a/c joint and a mild pneumothorax- 5 years ago, which put me off mountain biking
- wish I'd taken the second option, then, of a curry and a couple of pints in the Rising Sun at Fulwood.
Life choices- Pah !
 ChrisJD 10 May 2017

Currently nursing a very sore sternoclavicular joint from a 30 mph off at the weekend. The plate on my collar bone held up when it took the full brunt, but transferred all the shock down to that joint - the pain has to come out somewhere :-0.

They joys of mountain biking!

Enjoy your new bike - good choice for the money/ease.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...