UKC

Visitors from USA seek advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 erik evenson 02 May 2017
We will be in Scotland for a month of hiking, cragging, touristing. What might the midge situation be camping in the barn at Carnmor? Would a bug shelter be advisible in late May- early June? Thanks for any help. Maybe we'll see you on the crag! Erik and Lynn
 Andy Johnson 02 May 2017
In reply to erik evenson:
I'm not sure about Carnmore specifically, but it's been a very mild winter so the midges are likely to be bad, even early in the "season". Headnets are always worth taking.
Post edited at 20:48
 AdrianC 02 May 2017

Probably best to assume it'll be bad & if not you'll have a pleasant surprise. If you haven't already done so, it'd be good to read up on ticks, too.
 smally 02 May 2017

Hi Erik,
The barn is a pretty basic build so not well sealed from the midge. Saying that, I've stayed in the barn a few times around that time of year and it's been fine. Make sure you have midge headnets, long sleeved tops plus something like thin leg warmers to keep them off your ankles (when you have rock shoes on) and you will keep your sanity. It will only be the start of the season at that time anyway. Enjoy the crag and mountains.
cheers, Iain
OP erik evenson 02 May 2017
In reply to smally:

Thanks for the info from all of you!
 Offwidth 02 May 2017

Seriously be very careful with Ticks... peak risk around now. Lymes Diesese is horrible. Check every night before bed and find out how to remove the buggers.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx
 machine 08 May 2017

looking at the weather forcast at present an all in one down suit may be the order of the day.
 Offwidth 08 May 2017
In reply to machine:

What weather forecast?. Nothing that far out is even remotely reliable and its hardly unusual ( Ive ice climbed on the Ben many times in May).

I took the inner of a tent and pitched it inside the barn when I went last summer. The worked well for keeping the bugs away. Also midge coils that you burn are well worth getting a couple of, as is Smidge midge repellant.

Have a great trip. It is a beautiful place.

Tom
OP erik evenson 11 May 2017
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks for your reply! We brought our inner mid bug tent. Hoping for good weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...