UKC

Kathmandu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rowancb 03 May 2017
Hi, my dad and I are thinking about travelling to Kathmandu from early to mid/late september (he has a work conference then so dates are not changeable). It would be our first time in Nepal and my first time in the Himalayas and we would just seek to do some trekking. Any advice? I've heard this may not be the best time to go due to the monsoon season. Would one of those package trek deals be worth our while or is it fairly straightforward to DIY it? As I say limited knowledge of the area but we are both competent enough to plan our own hiking. Thanks in advance
 Tony the Blade 03 May 2017
In reply to Rowancb:
Hi,
There are many companies to choose from, and I'm sure you will get many suggestion from folks here, I know of a couple but don't have the details to hand - I can get them to you if no-one else comes up trumps.

I would advise that you do use a trekking company rather than doing it yourselves as this is the chief economy of the area and will really help to support the communities. My wife and I did the Annapurna Base Camp trek and we employed both a guide and a porter, even though we didn't really need either.

You will love it, I spent three months there and made some great Nepalese friends.

Cheers, Tony
Post edited at 14:09
 stubbed 03 May 2017
In reply to Rowancb:

Annapurna sanctuary was a lovely trek. We had a porter & guide but as the previous poster said, you don't really need them but why not. We did it in 6 days I think, but could easily have done it in 3. I would recommend a guide that will be flexible to how fast you can walk. We were only walking 3-4 hours a day and the afternoons could drag.
 chris fox 03 May 2017
In reply to Rowancb:

If you would like a local Nepali guide then send me a PM and i will forward on my friends details.
 humptydumpty 03 May 2017
In reply to stubbed:

> We had a porter & guide but as the previous poster said, you don't really need them but why not.
> I would recommend a guide that will be flexible to how fast you can walk. We were only walking 3-4 hours a day and the afternoons could drag.

I think you've answered your own question!
 stubbed 03 May 2017
In reply to humptydumpty:

I didn't have a question really
 Brass Nipples 03 May 2017
In reply to Rowancb:

It's fairly easy to DIY it you do some research up front and are confident map reading etc. That way more of your money will go to the rural communities as you'll be spending your money for food and a bed at the lodges plus using the local buses where necessary. Maps can readily be bought in Kathmandu or you can get them here for a somewhat larger cost.

Rowancb 07 May 2017
In reply to Rowancb:

Ok guys, many thanks I'll take that on board.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...