UKC

What's the best Lake District scrambling day out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 03 May 2017
Pretty much as it says really, best day out/link up of multiple scrambles?

Taking my brother and fiancee out this weekend, both climbers but not really done much in the lakes, they want a fun scrambling mountain day, any suggestions?
 JRJG 03 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

Coniston would be my suggestion; I've had a great day out linking three scrambles, a grade 1 (The Bell, near Wyna Scar car park) grade 3 (Low Water Beck) and a grade 2 (Brim Fell Slabs) which all follow one another quite logically and nicely. Low water beck on a nice day is especially enjoyable. The route from the Bell to the beck takes you past the Pudding Stone, which is a popular bouldering spot (imagine a giant Christmas pudding).

You could extend it by walking from Brim Fell towards Goats Water, with Dow Crag beside it, there are a number of scrambles and climbs there too but without going to my guide book I can't suggest any. There is definitely one that when viewed from Brim Fell looks like an obvious large chimney/small gully on the far right side of the crag. But I haven't climbed it and don't know it's grade i'm afraid.

Have fun wherever you get to. Lots of scrambling to be done in the lakes, good fun be it disjointed, breaks up a fell walk nicely.

JRJG
 TheGeneralist 03 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

To answer the question in the heading, I'd say the upper River Esk. We did it with the kids last summer and it totally blew us away. Endless amazing pools to swim in; long traverses above deep pools, some lovely waterfall pitches and some really good dry rock pitches. I seem to recall it's something daft like 1km+ long or thereabouts. Certainly the various guided groups that we passed only did small sections of it.
There are some lovely scrambles in the lakes, but this is the only one I've done that I genuinely think qualifies for "World Classic" status, on account of the fact that it combines scrambling and swimming and exploring so well.

However, looking at your timescales, maybe not ideal (we did it in scorchio weather in wetsuits and sandals with the intention of getting fully soaked)
In reply to maybe_si:

Dungeon Ghyll followed by Pike O Stickle scrambles then Harrison Stickle, Pavey Ark East and Jacks Rake to finish. Dungeon Ghjyll Upper Ravine has a pretty chossy and tricky pitch, but it has tremendous atmosphere. Crossing the boulder in the lower ravine is worth doing. Its very dry so a good time to do the gills.
 John Kelly 03 May 2017
In reply to Full moon addict:

Upper ravine can collect stonefall from footpath above, you probably want pick a quiet time for that one, good scrambling
In reply to maybe_si:

Start in Wasdale. Black Sail Pass and High Level Route to Pillar Rock. Cross Green Ledge and Waterfall (rope sensible) and scramble up to Western Scree. Old West Route to summit of High Man. Descend Slab and Notch. Scramble up to summit of Pillar Fell and descend East ridge back to Black Sail Pass. Beer in Wasdale Head Inn! Hard to beat that for a good day out!!
 andyflem 03 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

Langdale. Middle Fell Buttress and continuation. Then South Central Buttress on Harrison Stickle and descend Jacks Rake...
 olddirtydoggy 03 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

I'll second low water beck from coniston
In reply to maybe_si:

Great Langdale is perfect for linking scrambles with a minimal walk in from the car. The possibilities are endless. Just as an example of a classic day you could link Stickle Gill, The Groove on Tarn Crag, South West Face on Harrison Stickle and West Ridge on Pike Of Stickle before descending by Thorn Crag.
 mountainbagger 03 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

I really enjoyed Sourmilk Gill, then a play on Seathwaite Slabs then up Gillercombe Crag.

Finish off with a walk over Green Gable.
 Simon Caldwell 04 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

Best scrambling day I've had was Esk Gorge, followed by Ill Crag, then descend Little Narrowcove and up by Thor's Buttress (Pen), Scafell via Broad Stand, finishing with a swim in the Esk pools on the way back.
 John R 04 May 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
You beat me to it; it makes quite a long day, but I've never found a better one in the Lakes. The Esk gorge and Ill Crag are both superb . Another vote for that suggestion.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Best scrambling day I've had was Esk Gorge, followed by Ill Crag, then descend Little Narrowcove and up by Thor's Buttress (Pen), Scafell via Broad Stand, finishing with a swim in the Esk pools on the way back.

You did exceptionally well to fit all that into one day, especially with the mammoth walk in it involves.
 Simon Caldwell 04 May 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

It was many years ago - one of those years in the 90s when we had droughts every summer. Can't remember how long it took, but I was on my own so probably had a very early start!
 JRJG 05 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

Really glad you asked this by the way, I now have a number of scrambling days to try out for myself!

Have fun.

JRJG
 Alan M 13 May 2017
In reply to JRJG:
> Really glad you asked this by the way, I now have a number of scrambling days to try out for myself! Have fun. JRJG

Same here, I'm up in the Lakes for a week next month so will be trying a couple of these routes out.

I got the Easy climbs and scrambles guidebook there's a shed load of routes to link up all over the Lakes. Can't wait for next month now.
Post edited at 22:05
 BnB 13 May 2017
In reply to Alan M:

> Same here, I'm up in the Lakes for a week next month so will be trying a couple of these routes out.I got the Easy climbs and scrambles guidebook there's a shed load of routes to link up all over the Lakes. Can't wait for next month now.

A good guidebook for many outings. Just don't expect to find New West route on Pillar Rock by following their instructions. Both the text and topi are misleading.
 Oli Beswick 14 May 2017
In reply to maybe_si:

Pinnacle ridge on st sunday crag
 JRJG 14 May 2017
In reply to Alan M:

I'm setting off up there in an hour's time, going to try one of the routes recommended above, whichever my guide books include.
Great day for it

Enjoy yourself

JRJG
 cas smerdon 14 May 2017
In reply to BnB:

> A good guidebook for many outings. Just don't expect to find New West route on Pillar Rock by following their instructions. Both the text and topi are misleading.

New West Climb is not a scramble it is a vdiff climb. The scramble is Old West Route. Don't attempt New West without gear unless you are comfortable soloing vdiff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...