UKC

Oltre Finale in February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam 03 May 2017
Has anyone visited Oltre Finale/Val Pennavaire in February? What are the conditions like? Are the crags likely to be dry?
The guide book suggests that October to March is a good time of year to visit but the weather sites show pretty high average rainfall for this time of year. Any experience or advice would be welcome.
 Alan Rubin 03 May 2017
In reply to sam:

We were in Finale/Oltre Finale in early-mid-March two years ago and the weather we experienced was pretty mixed. When in the sun it was pleasantly warm, but about 1/3-1/2 the time it was cloudy, cold and windy with a couple of 'washout days' and a few more with showers (in a 2 week period).
 pete johnson 03 May 2017
In reply to sam:

I've been in Feb. One week it was cold and snowed on a couple of days. The other week it was sunny and hot on the crags. Pot luck at that time of year.
Was there at end of March this year and it was almost too hot in the sun!
OP sam 04 May 2017
In reply to sam:

Thanks for the info both. Seems you have both experienced very mixed weather in February/March. Were the south facing crags dry for your visits?
 jon 04 May 2017
In reply to sam:

In 2008 and 2009 the Albenga crags were our winter cragging area of choice, being less than four hours drive from Chamonix. We must have gone at least once every couple of weeks for three or four days during January and February and had mostly good conditions. The only thing that did prevent climbing a few times was a thick freezing fog that came up from the sea and filled the valleys. Sometimes climbing on the higher crags sorted that but on a couple of occasions we had to bin it and go elsewhere, either to Finale or into France.
OP sam 04 May 2017
Thanks for the info. I'm super keen to head there on a climbing trip next year. I don't get a lot of annual leave so need to make it count. Wet crags are always a risk but need to stack the odds in my favour by choosing the right destination.

heleno 04 May 2017
In reply to sam:

Not quite Feb, but the very end of Jan and the beginning of March. As others have said, it was sometimes a cloudy/misty, but on other days warmenough to wear shorts. I don't remember any of the crags being wet or seeping, but we may just have been lucky. It may well be the best time for the south-facing crags in Val Pennevaire (such as Terminal), as at other times of year we've been too hot there.

However, if your time away is limited and you want a higher chance of sunshine, the Costa Blanca may be less of a risk (though I don't think the climbing is as good!)
OP sam 04 May 2017
Can anyone tell me what the towns Finale and Albenga are like in February, are they shut down ghost towns or is it possible to find restaurants, cafés and shops open?
OP sam 04 May 2017
Thanks for the info. It'll be Oltre Finale/Finale or Siurana for us. I'll get all the info I can then the Mrs will make the final decision.
 heleno 04 May 2017
In reply to sam:

Albenga is pretty quiet in Feb - much of the tourist stuff seems to shut till.Easter (especially campsites). However I think you'd still find places to eat.

Our favourite spot though is the climbers bar, Bar Neva, in Cisano. The free snacks that come with your beer are so generous you may not need to find a restaurant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...