UKC

Karrimor Customer Service refuses to reply

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
javiergimenez31.77 04 May 2017

I know this would be old news for most, but just in case.
A few weeks back I was so disgusted and shocked with the results of my last Karrimor pair of shoes (Running Shoes) that I decided to send a few words to the customer service team. Nevermind the tone of my complain.... especially when a 7year old walking shoes that done most of the Yorkshire trails looks and feels in better condition that a one month old running shoes that I've used just for a few miles on easy paved walks...
I'm still waiting for a reply.. or even an acknowledgement of the message been read and passed on to whoever.. just got the automatic reply thanking me for the message and that was it (so, they did got my email)....

So, I know you know that I know you know... but if you're thinking about it.. just don't. I personally stopped going SportDirect altogether.. the attitude of the guys working there is the one of a person that couldn't care less for what's going on... in my experience, that only happens when the company abuses the employee to the limit...
Wasn't it sports direct the one that made to the news because they where forcing unpaid hours on the staff?

I thought that we agree that slavery was a BAD thing a few hundred years ago.. didn't we?

Just that.. and apologies for the trolling.. I just feel the urge to share and voice an opinion. Treat SportDirect as the devil.
Thanks.

Javi
Post edited at 09:45
 Andy Johnson 04 May 2017
In reply to javiergimenez31.77:
Unfortunately, Karrimor as a company making decent kit* basically ceased to exist back in 2004. It isn't even a company now, just a brand within the Sports Direct portfolio.

And I agree that Sports Direct is an horrible, abusive organisation.

(* I have an old Hot Earth sac bought in the early 90s and still paying its way)
Post edited at 10:14
 tingle 04 May 2017
sway them with your wallet. Don't buy their stuff its cheap for a reason.

edit removed due to missreading OP
Post edited at 10:21
 AlisonS 04 May 2017
In reply to tingle:

I agree; don't buy from them

I bought some walking poles from them last year. First time I used them snowshoeing the ski baskets fell off rendering them useless. First time I used them on the hill the walking baskets broke. Their stuff is cheap for a reason.
 La benya 04 May 2017

Just to give a bit of balance, my experience of two shops, one in Bournemouth and the other in south London has been excellent. The staff in the former were very helpful and knowledgeable about their outdoor gear and steered me away from all the cheap crap they stocked and the latter, while more aimed at fashion/ ball sports was equally helpful and efficient at getting my rugby boots and assorted kit whenever I've been in.

As an ex retail manager I know that it can be hard to find and motivate staff for minimum wage, but it can be done. and when you do it the effects are drastic.

and on the subject of abuses of zero hour contracts... obviously SD have been taking the piss, but as an idea, they simply arent the evil thing people seem to think they are. alot of my staff were greatful for having no committment to work when they didnt want, and both of us were greatful for them when i needed them to work loads. they arent suitable for alot of people, but for some they are perfect (students, people that have kids/ a job to keep busy etc)
 radddogg 04 May 2017

You get what you pay for. As has been said, Karrimor is no longer THE Karrimor.

The sole on my Karrimor running shoes has delaminated. Buy cheap, buy twice. Or buy second hand from OGX
 gethin_allen 04 May 2017

"Karrimor Customer Service refuses to reply"

That's probably because customer service is an alien concept to them and they haven't got a department set up for it.
 Guy Hurst 04 May 2017

Although this is the expected poor customer service from Karrimor, the complaint should be made to Sports Direct, since the sale "contract" is between them and the buyer. Usually they'll hand over a new pair of shoes just to get rid of you, and it's no loss to Sports Direct since the actual cost to them of Karrimor stuff is virtually nowt.
 olddirtydoggy 04 May 2017

I think the Karrimor trainers are absolutely excellent. Thats taking into consideration that I just wear them for plastering jobs and not the outdoors. We throw them in the bin after 3 months.
 Si_G 04 May 2017

I had similar. I took back a faulty jacket. They asked how they knew I hadn't stolen it. After a heated argument I left and won't be back.
 wilkie14c 04 May 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:
>(* I have an old Hot Earth sac bought in the early 90s and still paying its way)

i've a hot ice sack from the 80s that still sees use.
mainly for shoplifting trips to sports direct
Post edited at 21:36
In reply to wilkie14c:

Is there anything worth stealing...?

Even if you stuffed it to bursting point, you might have £3 worth of cheap chav tat.

That's if you can actually fight your way into the shops, past the densely-packed, overloaded racks of cheap rubbish.

(Yes, I have been in; every now and then, they have the odd decent, cheap bit of kit, like the rebadged fire maple 'alpine stove')
 kermit_uk 04 May 2017
In reply to SiGregory:

> I had similar. I took back a faulty jacket. They asked how they knew I hadn't stolen it. After a heated argument I left and won't be back.

By showing them your receipt?
 Si_G 05 May 2017
In reply to kermit_uk:

3 months after purchase, I couldn't find the receipt. I don't archive them!
They're the only place which sells that crap.
And when the mrs tried to return something WITH a receipt, they would only give store credit.
Awful shop, crap customer service. I'm not even convinced it's all that cheap.
 tjin 05 May 2017
In reply to SiGregory:

Have a lifeprotip: make pictures of receipts.
 Trangia 05 May 2017

Maybe have a word with your local trading standards? If enough people complain about a company the more likely thy are to investigate.

It's a great shame to those of us that can remember the old Karrimor, and the old Field and Trek too. Now both names have zero credibility and any positive feelings that anyone who can remember how they used to be might have had have now been replaced by the shame of what they have become.

Both would make a good study in how not to do brand management for someone on a marketing course looking for a dissertation project.

T.
 Shani 05 May 2017
You contacted customer services? What is this, 1997?

Seriously though, in 2017 you need to address this issue via social media. Nobody goes via customer services as it is not high profile and many companies simply ignore snail mail and email, but a well aimed Tweet or Facepants post can ellicit a rapid response.

You could put your issue in to a Tweet (make sure you include @HelenSkelton, @JamesCracknell and @Karrimor - they're brand ambassadors - www.karrimor.com/CustomerServices/OtherInformation/AboutUs). Outline your problem and the poor service and because it will have huge visability, others may be drawn to it - contributing their own experience or simply through 'likes' and 'retweets'.

Hopefully Sports Direct will be forced to react to limit brand damage and to give your consumer issue the focus it deserves.
Post edited at 15:38
 GrahamD 05 May 2017
In reply to AlisonS:

> I agree; don't buy from them. Their stuff is cheap for a reason.

But it is cheap, so in non critical applications why pay more ?

Timmd 05 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> But it is cheap, so in non critical applications why pay more ?

Ethics?
In reply to GrahamD:

Because cheap as it is, you could still do better at the price for the use you intend. Lots of deals at screwfix for general clothing and shoes for work-wear, for example.

T.
 Chris the Tall 05 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> It's a great shame to those of us that can remember the old Karrimor,

Agree entirely - can't think of any company with a better approach to customer service than Karrimor back in the 80s and 90s. It's pretty vile that someone whose approach is the exact opposite should be trading off that reputation.
 GrahamD 05 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Because cheap as it is, you could still do better at the price for the use you intend. Lots of deals at screwfix for general clothing and shoes for work-wear, for example.T.

Karrimor running tops and windproof equivalents appear lacking on the screwfix site, as do perfectly serviceable day packs. I also had a good cycle top for commuting, although they don't seem to have the karrimor branded cycle stuff now. I've also got a serviceable pair of karrimor trainers I keep at work for days I cycle in.

Obviously they aren't the only budget brand in town but then they are no better or worse than others.
 GrahamD 05 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Ethics?

Thats a thorny one I'll grant you. But its also not an easy one to get to the bottom of, given that pretty much most gear we buy is Chinese manufactured. So ethically can I chose between a £5 Karrimor top or any other bargain off the market on ethical grounds ? probably not. And can I really pay 10x the price for a Nike equivalent with their ethical record ?
 Timmd 05 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
I was more thinking about the (past?) practices of Sports Direct to be honest, the gear might be mostly on a level, but the shops/companies themselves possibly differ?

I guess it's something to look into carefully with each purchase, ie where something is being bought from, and the ethics of the brand of the product too.
Post edited at 17:29
 Neil Williams 05 May 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
I wear the 25 quid sort-of-approach-shoes daily. I find they don't last *badly* (though the eyelets like to break the laces), they fit well and they always have size 13s in stock. I've also run marathons in them (and half[1] an ultra) and they've survived that, too.

I think the OP has just got a pair of duds and rather than wasting time emailing them should just take them back to the shop for a replacement or refund, which like most places that sell cheap stuff will tend to do this reasonably readily in order to make you go away.

[1] One that allowed a half-way shoe change, not that they fell to bits after half of the race.
Post edited at 17:32
 Neil Williams 05 May 2017
In reply to SiGregory:
> 3 months after purchase, I couldn't find the receipt. I don't archive them!

Get two box files, chuck all your receipts in one of them. When you reach 12 months, start chucking them in the second one instead. After 12 months, bin the contents of the first one and start filling that one again. And repeat. No effort whatsoever.

It's stupid not to keep product receipts for 12 months given how much easier it makes every single customer services interaction to have one.
Post edited at 17:35
 La benya 05 May 2017
In reply to SiGregory:
So you tried to return something without a receipt and they said no. Shock.

You realise that you have no legal right to a refund? Unless the goods are faulty i.e. Not fit for purpose. For clothes and shoes this is not a long time.
Other stores give returns out of courtesy and a sense of customer service. But you pay for this perk by their increased prices. Sports direct (and Office for example) don't do returns to keep their prices low. The lack of 'customer service' is factored into the price.
Stores that hand out refunds willy nilly (my previous employer was one) get taken for a ride by entitled middle class people that think theyre being clever by returning clearly worn, washed, stained stuff and it costs them literally thousands of pounds a month (per store). But, we charged you a huge mark up which you were willing to stomach in the first place so...
Post edited at 17:44
 Damo 06 May 2017
In reply to La benya:

> ... . Stores that hand out refunds willy nilly (my previous employer was one) get taken for a ride by entitled middle class people that think theyre being clever by returning clearly worn, washed, stained stuff and it costs them .

Yes, unfortunately that's true, even more so in the US. REI in particular will exchange almost any anything no-questions-asked and people just exploit it, and over time that attitude has become ingrained into the customer base as a whole. You get people coming back with stuff they no longer like, or have decided doesn't fit - two months later - or damaged through misuse, or just use, and want their money back.

I don't know how they expect any company can operate like this, and sure enough, REI had to eventually tighten their policy, to much entitled whining - and for plenty of other stores it was just one more factor that sent them out of business.
 Si_G 06 May 2017
In reply to La benya:

I think I was just pissed off that the thing fell apart on the first outing. And their attitude was hostile.
I'll stick to buying online in future. It's easier.
Also, they had punched security tags through the middle of every single waterproof jacket on the rack.
 AlisonS 06 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> But it is cheap, so in non critical applications why pay more ?

I don't normally buy walking poles as a throwaway one-use item. Whilst not exactly critical, having your poles rendered useless within the first hour of a winter alpine journey is not trivial either. With hindsight I'd much rather have paid more for a product that was fit for purpose and won't be shopping there again. It simply hadn't occurred to me that poles with baskets that stay on was such a difficult requirement.
 PMG 06 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
If you do not care about quality of a product maybe you do not need the product in the first place.
 La benya 07 May 2017
In reply to SiGregory:

I had a friend that did that at Cotswolds a few years ago. £5 grands worth of jackets rendered unsellable in the space on 10 minutes.

Buy online as you will, but that is more than likely the reason for the rise of the cheap tat shop and the decline in decent knowledgeable retailers.
 Si_G 07 May 2017
In reply to La benya:

Yeah, I usually go to Outside or Cotswolds. Blacks don't usually have my size (XL/XXL) and there isn't much alternative choice local.
 GrahamD 08 May 2017
In reply to AlisonS:

I'd agree about poles and I wouldn't skimp on them,
 GrahamD 08 May 2017
In reply to PMG:

> If you do not care about quality of a product maybe you do not need the product in the first place.

Its a case of good enough. Running tops, thin hats and gloves etc Karrimor is good enough.
 radddogg 10 May 2017
In reply to Si_G:

> 3 months after purchase, I couldn't find the receipt. I don't archive them!They're the only place which sells that crap. And when the mrs tried to return something WITH a receipt, they would only give store credit. Awful shop, crap customer service. I'm not even convinced it's all that cheap.

You don't need a receipt, you just need proof of purchase so a bank statement will suffice. If you raised a small claim relating to it a county court judge might not even insist on this.

If the item doesn't conform to the contract then they cannot enforce store credit. They have to offer you a repair, replacement or full or partial refund depending on the age of the item and nature of the defect. If the return was due to a change of mind then there is no redress and the store has no obligation to exchange or refund - if they offer store credit then they have done you a favour.

Sports Direct are pretty fair in my experience. They know their obligations and follow the rules.
 La benya 10 May 2017
In reply to Rob Powell LC&CC:

Are you bank statements itemised as to what you purchased? Mine aren't. Another common myth.
J1234 10 May 2017

I think it a bit bad you have just posted once to slag a company off. How much did you pay for these shoes, if they were miles cheaper compared to others what do you expect.
Do you actually care, at all, about the people who made the shoes, or work in the store. Or are you just a whiney me me consumer, who has bought cheap shite, and is grieving because it aint gone your way.
 AlisonS 10 May 2017
In reply to J1234:

People need to be aware of the business model of the shop they are using though don't they? Otherwise they are not making an informed choice as to whether or not to buy from there. That's the whole point of posting public reviews for others to see.
The Karrimor brand used to be associated with high quality and outstanding customer service. Strong branding can be very persistent so it's not surprising people make mistakes.
 radddogg 10 May 2017
In reply to La benya:

They don't need to be. If the company chooses not to believe you that's up to them. If you then pursue it through the local courts you do not have to prove anything beyond all reasonable doubt as you do in the crown court. So if you take a bank statement you'll likely convince the judge which is all you need to do.
 La benya 10 May 2017

you need proof of purchase for that specific item, from that specific retailer. simply showing that you purchased something at one of their shops is not enough. i agree most would yield, but its hardly worth your time to take them to court over it, especially if you're in the wrong for not having a receipt.
 radddogg 10 May 2017
In reply to La benya:

Proof of purchase isn't limited to the original receipt. Read the sale of goods act. It specifically doesn't use the term receipt, it uses the term proof of purchase.

And you wouldn't be taking them to court because you lost your receipt. I would assume it would be as they have breached your statutory rights.

Agreed a till receipt makes it easier but saying you lose your statutory rights if you don't keep the till receipt is incorrect

Sales of Goods Act was superseded in 2015 by the Consumer Rights Act...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Following the links, we find this:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/five-facts-you-may-not-know-a...

"5 Faulty goods

If your goods are faulty and you don't have the receipt, you still have the right to a repair, refund or replacement under the Consumer Rights Act"

Unfortunately, the page they then link to doesn't explain how or why this is the case...
 radddogg 11 May 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Cool, thanks for advising of the updated regs.

They always leave these regs open to some interpretation as each case will be different, for example, the buyer can expect a refund if the defect occurs in a relatively short time but the time isn't specified. It's because you can't expect a £10 toaster to last as long as a £100 one.

Same for Karrimor trainers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...