UKC

Recommend a pre-paid currency card (for Europe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 04 May 2017
Can anyone recommend a pre-paid currency card for use in Europe (specifically Italy & Spain)?
There seem to be a lot available and they seem to vary in terms of transaction fees, cash withdrawal fees, commission, exchange rates ease of top-up etc.

I don't like to carry too much cash while I'm traveling so I'd intend to use the card much like my debit card in the uk, to make frequent payments (in restaurants shops etc.) and withdrawing small(er) amounts of cash. So anything with a fixed transaction or withdrawal fee for would be a no-no. But I also don't want to get ripped off by poor exchange rates or high commissions when I top it up.

Cheers

Lee
 JayPee630 04 May 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

I asked the same question a bit ago, and ended up getting a Fairfax card. Although was for worldwide use, I did use it in Europe lots too. It was ace, will keep using it when I go abroad.
 knighty 04 May 2017

Halifax clarity credit card. Beats having to preload a card, and no fees for transactions.
 wilkie14c 04 May 2017

paypal access card is very handy if you have an account and set up bank transfers to your paypal account. basically costs nothing for u.k. purchases, 2 quid for cash withdrawals, don't know about abroad though. might only be for paypal business accounts but worth a look as much as any other
 Adj 04 May 2017

I can recommend caxton fx. I got one a few years ago for the US but it's since been changed to worldwide so I use it wherever. I haven't compared the offering to others since I got it so I can't say how it compares now but I've always been happy with it
 Postmanpat 04 May 2017

Revolut by a country mile. Check it out.
Phil Payne 04 May 2017

2nd for Caxton
 Castleman 04 May 2017

Post office travelcard is good too, and very easy to sign up for and manage online (for topup etc) whilst abroad.
 Blue Straggler 05 May 2017

Thanks for the thread, I am currently just posting here to mark it as a sort of "bookmark" for myself. I felt inconvenienced in Germany last year despite having Visa Debit and Visa Credit cards, Mastercard, and AMEX - and not even any serious concern about transaction fees etc.
 Sam W 05 May 2017

Another recommendation for Revolut. I started using it a few years ago because it offered the best deal by a mile, no fees and 'perfect' exchange rates i.e. you get the exchange rate quoted on the news.

Controlled through a phone app which makes topping up easy and it's accepted everywhere that takes Mastercard
OP SuperLee1985 05 May 2017

Thanks for the responses.
However, I think I may have answered my own question, Knighty's suggestion of Halifax made me check my own bank (Nationwide).
My FlexPlus debit gives Free Euro Cash withdraws and my Nationwide Credit Card gives free Euro purchases, both at the VISA exchange rate with, which as far as I can tell matches the base exchange rate. This info may be of use to others.
 Blue Straggler 05 May 2017

> Thanks for the responses.However, I think I may have answered my own question, Knighty's suggestion of Halifax made me check my own bank (Nationwide).My FlexPlus debit gives Free Euro Cash withdraws and my Nationwide Credit Card gives free Euro purchases, both at the VISA exchange rate with, which as far as I can tell matches the base exchange rate.

I've got that Nationwide card, I was amazed (see earlier post) at how few places accepted it in Germany.

Dauphin 05 May 2017

Use Monese when I'm traveling in far and Mittel Europe, costs about a £5 a month, low exchange transaction fees, you can turn off the card for security with the app which is what attracted me initially, I think it's designed for eastern Europeans who can't open a bank account easily in the U.K. but I've used to it for saving fees on large euro transactions and travel to 'less safe' places.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...