UKC

Saddle Sore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning,

So I am going to be taking part in a cycle sportive on Sunday and riding about 62 miles. On my last training ride on Tuesday I became quite saddle sore, something that I haven't experienced before on the bike, i.e set up hasn't changed in the last 2 years, the shorts I wear, I've had for a year and had not problems etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to relieve that area so I can do my ride on Sunday?

I have been using cream, which has reduced the swelling but is it worth wearing corn plasters for example on the sore areas on Sunday and putting a pot of chamois cream in my bib shorts?
 ClimberEd 05 May 2017
In reply to An Exiled Northerner:

Were you riding in dirty shorts?! (no sniggering at the back, I mean ones that have been ridden in once before for example.) Or did you get very sweaty and then go and sit in your shorts to have a coffee for an hour.

Just a couple of ideas for what the cause might be if no other change.

Relief will depend on the sore. - if it is a small spot like sore then a corn plaster may help. If it is a broader red lump then probably not.
At this stage I'd keep your bum well aired (no tight boxers) and clean between now and Sunday to maximise healing and then suck it up for Sunday and reassess.
In reply to ClimberEd:

Cheers, I am doing that and will accept that Monday will be walking like John Wayne day.
 gethin_allen 05 May 2017

Be aware that shorts and saddles to wear out, although I wouldn't dare change a saddle just before the long ride, have a close look at your shorts and see if the pad is still in good condition and if so stay off the bike for a few days for your arse to settle down and then use some chamois cream.

Check your tyre pressures too, maybe consider something a bit fatter, I use 25s (on wideish rims so closer to 26 mm) on my road bikes and they are so much more comfortable because you can drop the pressures a bit.
 Yanis Nayu 05 May 2017

Wear good shorts with a quality chamois. Castelli give you good bang for your buck.
Assos chamois cream.
Avoid tight chafing clothing. Be all about the loungewear.
Dry your biffin's Bridge with a hair dryer after showering.
Dab surgical spirit on the area morning and night with a cotton wool pad.

This last point has been the most important in getting to grips with recurring saddle sores that I've had since Christmas. It doesn't even sting. Slightly warming if it goes up your bum hole mind...
 balmybaldwin 05 May 2017

I have in past used Compeed to solve this problem, it worked well 400 miles in to my LEjog run in the rain a few years back, however it is not pleasant to get them off afterwards (especially if you don't "prepare" the area first with a close shave)
 Dark-Cloud 05 May 2017

Good shorts and chamois cream.

Just remember to put your chamois cream on BEFORE your warm up embrocation, i speak from experience.....
 chris fox 06 May 2017

I get redness/sensitivity on just my right groin (area basically next to right twin !) i removed the hair with veet as i think this caused the irritation and on longer/warmer rides i put sudocreme on

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...