/ stolen gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
foinhaven - on 08 May 2017

Hi all. Had a 35ltr Berghaus arete rucksack (purple) stolen from my van near YSTRADFELLTE in the BRECON AREA YESTERDAY. It contained a pair of black Paramo waterproof trousers,DMM harness,nut key, belay plate, blue down jacket,Black diamond helmet, also gloves,buff ect. Please mail me or Brecon Police if you see what may be the items for sale online.
Many thanks
Post edited at 08:03
gethin_allen on 08 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Sorry to hear about this, which carpark were you at? just so people can be extra vigilant when leaving vehicles there.
foinhaven - on 08 May 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Basically by the standing stone on the road out towards the double switchback bends. Drowning would be too kind.
Run_Ross_Run - on 08 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Devils Elbow I think it is.

Have a bump.

Drowning, now....

gethin_allen on 08 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

That's a pretty remote spot.
Rock to Fakey - on 13 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Just curious... was the door locked or did you get broken into, and was the stuff visible or not when nicked?
foinhaven - on 14 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Quick update.

To Fakey, the vehicle was locked with nothing on display. This will not stop them as they are coming in anyway if they want to by stoving your window in.
It turns out that other vehicles were broken into that day and one lady had items stolen from the boot, unless you can create a safe then locking is no defence. The Police have been good with us and did a good job and some of our gear is now back with us. Others were not so fortunate. Lets just say its probably a good idea to get a tracking app. The people who did this are still out there (due to our legal system) and will continue to do so. Every day. Be especially aware if you own a van and label or mark your goods. Keep proof of purchase of your gear and evidence of accomodation if you are away otherwise your personal insurance is a waste of money. The spot we parked in was remote but dont let car parks and busy roads fool you as these people do not fear the law. They laugh at it. And us all.
Rock to Fakey - on 15 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Thanks, still helpful to know in a way.
Better to take minimal gear, not leave anything i it, then make it obvious the car is empty too, boot shelf removed so they can see empty boot too if poss.
foinhaven - on 16 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

I agree about keeping the vehicle empty where possible. Lots of ourdoorsy types now have vans and often carry lots with them as they are sleeping in the vehicle so solutions must be found to keep the vermin at bay. Here is one;

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/van-vault-2-secure-tool-box-cw-gas-struts-920-x-555-x-490mm-code-s10250-o...

Stay safe and remember the culprits are still out there and I am informed may well be active over the bank holiday. Gower is in range for them as well
Rock to Fakey - on 17 May 2017
In reply to foinhaven:

Nice!
Hopefully they aren't as stupid as to risk to go equipped with a battery powered mini disc cutter... I guess that would still be amateur level crime but i doubt thieves would go so equipped for the off chance there'll be a bit (or alot !) of climbing gear that u didn't need to take to crag left in yr car, would they? ... but there's people with addiction probs around everywhere, + just common thieves too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.