UKC

Is the Isle of Man worth a weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 08 May 2017
I live in Lancashire so have a lot of climbing within a couple of hours, so not short of climbing opportunities, but have been most places. I have just discovered that flights to IOM are affordable and convenient, fly out Sat morning, so could be climbing by 11am and with a 6pm ish flight back on Sunday could get, a couple of decentish days in . So is it worth a trip, or a bit esoteric and not worth the hassle?
 jkarran 08 May 2017
In reply to J1234:

What grades and what are you looking for? The best stuff is mid-higher E grades in adventurous settings though there is plenty of easier stuff dotted about. Also give Manx National Heritage a call to check for bird ban dates, the best section of coast around the Chasms is banned for most of the nicer months. The boat is cheap too on foot from Lancashire.
jk
J1234 08 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:

Hi, i am looking for VS4c-5a and anyone I am likely to come with up to E1 5b.
In reply to J1234:

Check out our article: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=9143

If you're looking for a change of scenery it's worth it for a few days I'd say. You should definitely do Torque Test (HVS 5a) HVS 5a at The Chasms (photo in article) if you visit. The bouldering around the island is enjoyable too, and there's an indoor wall if the weather turns bad.

jkarran 08 May 2017
In reply to J1234:

It doesn't shine at those grades but there is plenty of fun to be had for a weekend and all the crags can be accessed by bus as directly as by car if a little less conveniently. If the Chasm's is banned then your options reduce but there is still enough to entertain. Assuming the Chasms is banned:

Kione y Gogghan located between Port st Mary and the Chasms has a good collection of steep seaside routes in that grade band and some bigger cliffs with the odd wandering route and loads of climbable rock to explore.

Aldrick located between The Sound and Port Erin has a bit at these grades.

Groudle has a few good routes from seaside ledges in these grades.

Santon pinnacle is tricky to find but has a few nice lines at these grades.

http://www.mike-caine.com/climbing-introduction/ Very out of date and lots of the routes described and some of the crags are not as they once were! A local contact would be a big help.
jk
 JMarkW 09 May 2017
In reply to J1234:

I'd avoid the beginning of June mind....
 jkarran 09 May 2017
In reply to JMarkW:

Best week of the year and we'll worth the extra cost!
 JMarkW 09 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:

I'm with you there!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...