UKC

Sub £200 sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Afternoon all,
Looking at investing in a better sleeping bag currently got an old Vango ultralite 500 for summer and 1300 for winter.
Looking to spend under £200 hundred and get as many months use as possible which i know is perhaps wishful thinking.
Friend recommended Rad Ascent 500, looks like a good bag. It is reasonably light and I think would possible stretch over the seasons and into winter. Might be a bit hot for full on summer, guess i can always get the vango back out for that
Has anyone got any thoughts on using this bag? or any similar recommendations?
Thanks
Colin
 TobyA 08 May 2017
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

Alpkit has long been the obvious choice for the most for your money, but check out https://summiteerequipment.com/collections/frontpage a new small company but their prices are great. I haven't used one, but first reviews seem very favourable.

Rab make great bags, as do ME, Marmot, etc etc but you might get more for your money with a small company. Worth considering anyway.
 AlanLittle 08 May 2017

Cumulus do some well made kit at decent prices too. The cut of their lightweight bags is a bit on the snug side though, at least the one I have.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/down-sleeping-ba...
 malk 08 May 2017

vango ultralite 600? what's your issue with the ultralites?
In reply to malk:
> vango ultralite 600? what's your issue with the ultralites?

Nothing really they are good for the money, hence i have two. really just looking to getting something much lighter, small pack size and spans a greater range of seasons if that is even possible without spending a fortune
Post edited at 20:26
 timmeehhhh 09 May 2017

What do you mean with the greater range of seasons? A bag that is warm enough for winter is surely too warm for hot summer nights. You'd end up lugging a heavy winter bag with you that will also be too hot most of the time!

If you want to have reasonable allround performance at a relatively low weight and pack size, a 600 gram / high quality down bag would be the way to go. Obvious choices would be the Cumulus Panyam 600 and Alpkit Pipedream 600. Both bags weigh in at a kilo, cost you around 250 pound and keep you warm at around -10.

The Alpkit bag uses hydrophobic down, although the shell is made from polyester, while the Cumulus bag uses normal down (hydrophobic is optional at a higher price), but is made from Nylon (Pertex Quantum). In my experience, Pertex Quantum is very silky and drapes nicely around my body to eliminate cold spots. This is a bit less with my Polyester (sea to summit) bag. The advantages of hydrophobic down have also not been very clear to me, since my normal down bag would also cope nicely with small to moderate amounts of moisture.
 splat2million 09 May 2017

I'm a fan of Alpkit bags. I've used the Pipedream 600 when a few degrees below freezing (will cover you for most UK winter conditions). Much cheaper than some of the alternatives (Rab, ME, etc.). You could also get a synthetic bag, they are fine too but usually much heavier and bulkier for the same warmth.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2017

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/makalu1-down-sleeping-bag-l-id_8249506.html

Best value pit I have ever had,

Chris
 Bimble 10 May 2017

I've had a Rab ascent 500 for 4 or 5 years now and it's a good solid bag. Light, packs down small, really warm and very comfy (it does whiff a bit now and could do with a wash, but that's to be expected). Highly recommended.
Removed User 01 Jun 2017

Hi,
If you are interested in an Ascent 500, I've got an XL version, brand new, with tags still on, that's surplus to requirements that I could sell you for £150 plus postage. Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers,
Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...