UKC

Recommend a solicitor please, Sheffield.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 08 May 2017
I realise this is wildly off-topic for UKC, but this place is pretty much the fount of all knowledge.

As the title says, can anyone recommend a solicitor in Sheffield please?
(Also please name/shame any that are especially dreadful - if I do resort to sticking a pin in the yellow pages I'd really like to at least avoid those.)

I rent a lock-up garage a mile or two from where I live, and apparently one of the others in the same compound is going to be sold at auction in a couple of weeks. I'd like a solicitor to take a quick look at the documents and the searches that have been done before I sign anything, I'm not sure whether or not this constitutes 'conveyancing', or whether I also need a bit of conveyancing doing - this is all a bit grown-up for me tbh.

Also, if I'm going to be consulting with a solicitor anyway, it's about bloody time I sorted out a proper will. Hopefully it'll be a while before I find out for sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may not be immortal any more.
 DerwentDiluted 08 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
Heyup DS, not in Sheffield but not too far away, for basic conveyancing we used JA Taft in Chesterfield. We used them on the grounds that they were used by t'other side in the last house we sold and got an extra £200 out of us for a tiny slip in the fixtures form. We figured that if they were that on the ball then we would use them on our side for the next house. We did, and found them very quick, very good and very reasonable.

Edit, get a will! We had a nightmare a few years back when a Great Aunt of Mrs D died and left a lot of cash but a massively badly drawn up and obsolete will. It took 2-3years to resolve, cost a fortune and she got some but not all of what she should have got. Get a will!
Post edited at 15:45
OP deepsoup 08 May 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
Thanks DD.
Perhaps I should have said in or around Sheff - Chesterfield is definitely not too far to go. Looks like we may have a winner.

Any other recommendations anyone?

> Get a will!

Yep, I've seen the lack of one cause problems too. But still not got around to sorting out my own. Rubbish eh? (But I bet I'm not alone!)
 UKB Shark 08 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Re the property query I use Nick Elliott at Norrie, Waite & Slater 0114 276 6166
 timjones 08 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
> Yep, I've seen the lack of one cause problems too. But still not got around to sorting out my own. Rubbish eh? (But I bet I'm not alone!)

You're not alone but I know from experience that the rules for what happens if you die without one exactly match my wishes. It seems silly to pay a solicitor to potentially muck up something that is so simple in my case
Post edited at 16:25
OP deepsoup 08 May 2017
In reply to timjones:

> You're not alone but I know from experience that the rules for what happens if you die without one exactly what match my wishes.

That sounds very convenient. (Definitely not the case in my case.)
OP deepsoup 08 May 2017
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

Duly noted, ta.
Deadeye 08 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Hi

You will need conveyancing for the garage - it's land ownership that is changing hands.

Re. the will; there's plenty of solicitors that can make a right horlicks of this. If your affairs are comparatively straightforward, then the only real issue is making sure that it is executed correctly - properly witnessed by TWO independent witnesses.

The archaic language many solicitors choose to use is unecessary and unhelpful. A clear exposition of your wishes, properly executed, is entirely sufficient.
OP deepsoup 09 May 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
Ah, righto.
I had another recommendation for JA Taft by email, so gave them a bell this morning. Seem v good, we'll see.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...