UKC

VIDEO: The Edelrid Ohm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 08 May 2017
[The Edelrid Ohm]
The EDELRID Ohm is an innovative, new solution for the problems experienced by climbing partners with a significant difference in weight. The OHM is an assisted-braking resistor that you install at the first bolt in the safety chain. In the event of a fall, the OHM increases rope friction so that a lighter belayer can hold a heavier partner without being suddenly pulled off the ground and thrown against the wall.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=3637
 full stottie 08 May 2017
In reply to UKC Videos:

As a heavier-than-thou kind of climber I thought this was going to be the answer for my lighter-than-mild-flatulence belayers. Until I saw the price. Why does it have to be so expensive? Does it really cost so much to make?
(But then I suppose I feel the same about lots of things that I'd like but can't afford)

Back to trying to lose weight then. Or beefing up my climbing partners.

Dave
cb294 09 May 2017
In reply to full stottie:

When I will become supreme dictator for life, every climber below 15 stone will be forced by law to buy one and bring it to sports crags and indoor walls! After all, it is they who are too light.

Alternatively, they will have to wear weight vests to compensate for their unfair advantage!

CB
 1poundSOCKS 09 May 2017

> Why does it have to be so expensive? Does it really cost so much to make?

Hard to say, but I guess it's not unreasonable to assume it'd cost about as much to make as a GriGri, which will cost you about £65, and they'll sell far fewer, which tends to put the cost up quite a bit.
In reply to UKC Videos:

I have one of these and it's brilliant. Having collided with my light belay partner twice in the past, it's well worth the money and should last forever.
 olddirtydoggy 09 May 2017
In reply to UKC Videos:
Although useless for me this piece of gear looks absolutely fantastic, especially for partnerships where the weight difference is large. My mate and his wife are little and large so I'll be sending him this link.
Post edited at 19:14
 Wft 09 May 2017
In reply to UKC Videos:

This would be very useful, thanks for the video

full stottie 09 May 2017
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

You have too much money. I'm on a pension.
 alexwolf47 10 May 2017

I was nearly put off by the price... It is expensive but I don't regret getting one, and it will last for a long time. I'm around 50% heavier than my girlfriend and it has made her life a lot easier when she is belaying me (to the point where she actually has to try to give me soft catches now). If it potentially saves me breaking an ankle or kicking her in the head then it's definitely worth it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...