UKC

Will Brexit harm UKs Eurovision chances?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim C 09 May 2017
This was a question put to Teresa May on the one show tonight.
( I don't recall her answering

So will our European 'friends' play fair ?
In reply to Jim C:

It will make naff all difference. We'd still trail in somewhere close to, or at, the bottom of the pile even if we said everyone else in Europe was lovely, that we'd shore up their economies forever, happily give them all jobs and houses if they came to the UK and never, ever mention their men's personal hygiene being below par, the unexpected hairiness of some of their women's upper lips and the capacity of some nations for starting wars either with other nations or with themselves.

The song could be wonderful, but it would make little difference to the outcome.

T.
Lusk 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Definitely Nil Point!
Better go and logon to Betfair.
 summo 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

A month or two ago I thought the UK would win, I heard Steps come back song, presumed it must be the UK entry... It ticked all the boxes; gay dance anthem, predictable key changes.. . Then I heard the UKs real entry and thought if the UK gets in the top half it'll do well.
 Stichtplate 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Eurovision is the prime evidence in the case for the death of European culture. Our continual failure in this competition is nothing but a badge of honour.
Jim C 09 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Eurovision is the prime evidence in the case for the death of European culture. Our continual failure in this competition is nothing but a badge of honour.

I must confess to not watching it these days .
But I did when Mary Hopkins won, and on previous years ( there was not much choice back then)
 Stichtplate 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> I must confess to not watching it these days .But I did when Mary Hopkins won, and on previous years ( there was not much choice back then)

You're right.We didn't have a lot of choice what we watched back then. It was either BBC1 or listen to the home service.
Post edited at 20:40
 john arran 09 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> even if we said everyone else in Europe was lovely, that we'd shore up their economies forever, happily give them all jobs and houses if they came to the UK and never, ever mention their men's personal hygiene being below par, the unexpected hairiness of some of their women's upper lips and the capacity of some nations for starting wars either with other nations or with themselves.

... in which case they no doubt would continue to think we were two-faced, lying gits when it comes to anything Euro-related. And you could hardly blame them.
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Eurovision has never been about "playing fair", and has always been about countries playing out their little feuds in a tiny arena that doesn't matter.

The UK song is always crap anyway.
 john arran 09 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Eurovision has never been about "playing fair", and has always been about countries playing out their little feuds in a tiny arena that doesn't matter.

Agree completely. And I wouldn't be surprised if Eurovision itself hadn't prevented several European inter-nation conflicts from starting or escalating over the years, simply by providing a convenient and safe outlet for xenophobic expression.
 The Lemming 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

We could put up a bag of spanners or the world's greatest singer/song combo and we would be guaranteed nil points.

It's just not cricket.
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Of course not. If anyone beats us at cricket we can always just bowl at their heads.
 The Lemming 09 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Now, that is just NOT cricket.

d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

It's traditional though.
 Greasy Prusiks 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

What should we sing this year though?

I'm going with Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin.
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
I'm going with "Everything About You" by Ugly Kid Joe.
Post edited at 22:43
 Dr.S at work 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Perhaps if EU citizens had voted for whatever bunch of codswallop we put in last time, there would not have been a majority for brexit.
In reply to john arran:

I agree 100%.
It has become deeply political and a load of rubbish....
Do you remember when Scooch was our entry?...
Do you remember the year it was all about Russia vs Ukraine?
 Big Ger 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Don't worry, us Aussie will all vote for the UK, under a new bi-lateral vote sharing agreement thrashed out by Turnbull and May!!
 d_b 09 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Please don't. Losing at Eurovision is one of the few things we can be legitimately proud of.
 Reach>Talent 09 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:
Our friends on the mainland are going to be pretty annoyed at the UK over Brexit and will no doubt want to take some sort of revenge; what could be better than making sure the UK wins. That way we get hit in the wallet to host the bloody thing and also have to listen to whatever screeching muppets we put forward on the radio for 6 months.
 Pete Pozman 11 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

What we need is a new Commonwealth-O Vision song competition which only kith and kin type countries can enter. I'm sure our Canadian cousins would give us a massive thumbs up and the Aussies would never give us the "paddle of rebuke" no matter how sickeningly banal our song was.
Jim C 11 May 2017
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Our friends on the mainland are going to be pretty annoyed at the UK over Brexit and will no doubt want to take some sort of revenge; what could be better than making sure the UK wins. That way we get hit in the wallet to host the bloody thing and also have to listen to whatever screeching muppets we put forward on the radio for 6 months.

I've not heard our entry, ( I live in a strange, no football, no soaps no celebrity , world ) but I take your point.
Jim C 11 May 2017
Lots to choose from
http://myyouchoose.com/1268/80-songs-about-leaving-loss-and-goodbyes

The Remoaners will pick number 81 Gloria Gaynor , Never can say goodbye
Post edited at 05:18
 The New NickB 11 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Brexit zealots showing their ignorance of all things European yet again, there really should have been a test before the referendum. The Eurovision entry must be an original song
 Martin W 11 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> I must confess to not watching it these days .But I did when Mary Hopkins won, and on previous years ( there was not much choice back then)

It was a fair time ago (47 years, in fact) so you can perhaps be forgiven for not remembering that there was no "s" in her name. Less forgivable is not remembering that Dana actually won it that year, with Mary Hopkin coming second after being the favourite to win before the show went out.

Dana, of course, later became an MEP. So she's obviously a greedy, expenses-fiddling fat-cat eurocrat with no redeeming features whatsoever. Or something.

The UK last won Eurovision twenty years ago this year. (Anyone remember something else fairly momentous that happened in the UK 20 years ago, which is unlikely to happen this year?)
Post edited at 14:05
 Shani 11 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

I'm hoping our song will be a couple of pearly king and queens singing 'Roll Out the Barrel' in a cockney stylee around an old Joanna, with perhaps some kind of rap "abaht the blitz wen we waz all toogevah fitin 'itler"
 Postmanpat 11 May 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> It was a fair time ago (47 years, in fact) so you can perhaps be forgiven for not remembering that there was no "s" in her name. Less forgivable is not remembering that Dana actually won it that year,"

All kinds of everything clearly didn't remind him of her....

Apparently a former X Factor contestant is representing us this year....
I thought it would a reunion of SClub7 or Atomic Kitten.
In reply to davidbeynon:
I'm going with 'Love Is All Around' by Wet Wet Wet.
Post edited at 20:45
 winhill 12 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Ladbrokes is offering 25-1 on £1 bets if we get a Nul Points during the evening:

http://news.ladbrokes.com/novelty/eurovision/its-251-for-the-uk-to-get-nul-...

Winnings paid in free bets though.
 bouldery bits 12 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Please don't. Losing at Eurovision is one of the few things we can be legitimately proud of.

Hear hear!
 Jandwilson 12 May 2017
In reply to winhill:

Just matched bet the free bets and you get yourself the money :P
 Big Ger 13 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Well, if we get brexit, then.....

The UK would make its mind up to leave the Eurovision Song Contest if a referendum was held, a survey suggests.
The poll of 1,650 Britons by YouGov found 56% would quit the competition.
And it found those who backed Leave in the EU referendum were most likely to want to drop out, with 76% to 21% in favour of quitting. Remain voters were 65% to 35% in favour of competing.
The UK first entered Eurovision in the second year of the contest in 1957 and has won five times - the last in 1997.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39899913
Jim C 14 May 2017
In reply to winhill:

> Ladbrokes is offering 25-1 on £1 bets if we get a Nul Points during the evening:http://news.ladbrokes.com/novelty/eurovision/its-251-for-the-uk-to-get-nul-... paid in free bets though.

And did we ?
Jim C 14 May 2017
In reply to Martin W:

47 mins is nearer my memory span these days Martin.

I do remember Dana now, maybe I had a memory preference for blondes with long hair.

I have over the years found myself humming MH's song , I can't ever remember humming the winning song.

mountainbagger 14 May 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> (Anyone remember something else fairly momentous that happened in the UK 20 years ago, which is unlikely to happen this year?)

D:Ream had a resurgence in popularity?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...