UKC

Infrared Movement Triggered Cat Squirters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 09 May 2017

Having noticed that people often buy those plastic whatsits that allow a hose to supply water to two of them, has anybody successfully plumbed 4 into their outside taps?

I'm trying to think of any issues which may arise, like water pressure, but presumably any short fall in that wouldn't be a continual thing, because the cats wouldn't be continually in my garden with the sprayers always spraying water.

What are people's experiences more generally with those 20 pound cat squirters, are they worth buying or too cheap to bother with?

Many thanks.

Tim (of the stinky garden)
 Stichtplate 09 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:
I'm disappointed in you Timmd. Next you'll be writing to the Mail suggesting machine gun nests in Dover.
Post edited at 21:14
OP Timmd 09 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
I 'did' carefully clean up some spilt chainsaw chain oil today, in case my neighbour's cat decided to investigate and lick it up (like they can do antifreeze) and perhaps poison itself and die.

I can't spend too long in my garden because it stinks, at least 1 cat poos in it each day. With an average of 3 pieces of poo per visit, from 1 cat that's around 1000 pieces of cat poo in my garden each year, with a mixture of fresh poo, mouldering poo, and advanced decayed poo always present. The amount it stinks I wouldn't be amazed if it was two cats.

It's not somewhere for people's cats to poo, it's my garden and I've had enough. It stinks horribly. :-/
Post edited at 23:14
 Stichtplate 09 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Does sound unpleasant, but I'm a cat lover and the evil little furry psychopaths can do no wrong in my eyes.
 wilkie14c 09 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Your garden sounds like disputed territory for the local cats, you need to regain control and assert yourself and reestablish your garden as human territory. You must spray and defacte liberally to make your scent the top dog (or cat, as it were)
 Stichtplate 09 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Your garden sounds like disputed territory for the local cats, you need to regain control and assert yourself and reestablish your garden as human territory. You must spray and defacte liberally to make your scent the top dog (or cat, as it were)

Fully agree. Also , to demonstrate how relaxed and confident you are in your territory, take to extravagantly licking yourself clean , while lounging on the lawn. Preferably in full daylight.
 WaterMonkey 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Get yourself a supersoaker water gun and shoot them directly every time they are near your garden.
Personally I'd rather shoot them with a real gun but apparently that's frowned upon these days.
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Wanting to shoot them sounds totally reasonable?! Nutter.
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
> Wanting to shoot them sounds totally reasonable?! Nutter.

Cats seem to be provoking very strong reactions on here. I've accrued loads of dislikes, but I can't work out if it's for professing to be a cat lover or describing their essential characteristics... evil,little,furry psychopaths.
Post edited at 08:20
 duchessofmalfi 10 May 2017
If I understand the question correctly you want to use a splitter or manifold to supply 4 cat squirters?

Assuming this is to provide coverage for a large area then it should work - water pressure shouldn't be a problem because only one will trigger at a time. If more than one triggers at a time then you probably don't need 4 of them. I've no experience with the £20 ones but I did have a contech scarecrow which was very effective and eliminated lawn turds overnight.

In reply to Stichtplate:
Since I've been on here there have always been a vocal minority that hate cats (most, like me, don't care either way). However, confessing to liking cats is akin to saying you're going to vote Tory or think the cyclist should not have overtaken on the junction and therefore the car wasn't entirely to blame etc etc etc.
Post edited at 08:34
 WaterMonkey 10 May 2017
> Wanting to shoot them sounds totally reasonable?! Nutter.

You need to work on that sense of humour of yours!
cb294 10 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

No, the psychopaths are the antisocial persons who think it is OK to enjoy owning a pet, while making their neighbours suffer the consequences.

Cats are vermin.

CB
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Ahh, I get it! You were making a joke about shooting something to solve a problem - hilarious.

In that case, perhaps it may be better to should shoot you. That would solve the problem.

I am a comic genius!

In reply to cb294:

> while making their neighbours suffer the consequences.

I feel the same about the neighbours kids constantly breaking my greenhouse windows with their football. Ergo kids are vermin.

Stichtplate 10 May 2017

> I feel the same about the neighbours kids constantly breaking my greenhouse windows with their football. Ergo kids are vermin.

Scum of the earth me ... I've got a cat and two kids.

Though , in my defence, the kids are generally well behaved and the cat is too fat and lazy to leave the sofa much , let alone our garden.

Jeez, some people on here....
 Dax H 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

We have had good results with the Ultrasonic cat resellers.
 jkarran 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

You can connect as many as you like to one hose, the only issue you'll encounter is if they all trigger at once they might not spray very far and if each hose joint leaks a bit as they tend to more joints mean more leaks.
jk
 jkarran 10 May 2017
In reply to Dax H:

> We have had good results with the Ultrasonic cat resellers.

Those things are hateful. Spare a thought for the kids (and distinctly middle aged kids in my case) that can still hear them, the sound is bloody awful!
jk
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Being serious your plight sounds horrible.
Our own garden is a bit of a cat motorway owing to its position.... end of cul de sac , junction of several gardens and just across from the happy hunting ground of the local allotments.
Our solution was to fill a border under a couple of trees with tree bark mulch creating a giant litter tray. The bark deals with any smell, everything composts pretty rapidly and naturally, the cats bury everything . We just have to stick a new bag of mulch on top twice a year and we have no problems.
 WaterMonkey 10 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:
> Those things are hateful. Spare a thought for the kids (and distinctly middle aged kids in my case) that can still hear them, the sound is bloody awful!jk

I agree. I'm 46 and can hear them clear as anything!

Edit: Just remembered I'm only 45, happy days
Post edited at 09:31
In reply to Timmd:

This will keep the cats out your garden for sure.

youtube.com/watch?v=u9p5naCkz2w&
 Michael Hood 10 May 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

We've got two cats but that looks like a great solution for those who suffer from cat pooh.
 Michael Hood 10 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Brilliant
 Tricky Dicky 10 May 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> We've got two cats but that looks like a great solution for those who suffer from cat pooh.

Same here, we've just got the one cat but can appreciate the problem that some folk have with them. IR triggered cat squirters sound like a reasonable solution
paulcarey 10 May 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Wow, clearly I spent too much time under nightclub speakers in my youth as I can't hear them! Unless I put my ear right next to them...

We have one in our narrow garden and it has been pretty effective, until it recently stopped working after a couple of years.
OP Timmd 10 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:
> Those things are hateful. Spare a thought for the kids (and distinctly middle aged kids in my case) that can still hear them, the sound is bloody awful!jk

There's a few children in the terraced road I live on, it's probably not fair to inflict it on children (and other creatures).

What I think is cool, is that cunning teenagers have taken to using the sonic noise from those devices placed in shopping areas to keep them away as the ring/text tone for their mobiles, so that teachers don't hear them in the classrooms. Nobody gets one over on teenagers.
Post edited at 13:12
 jkarran 10 May 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

If you could hear them you wouldn't get another. A couple on my street had one about 5 doors down, it drove me absolutely mental whenever I had to walk the dog past their house and under some conditions (the sound pressure pattern is highly non-uniform) I could hear it clearly in my own garden.
jk
 gethin_allen 10 May 2017

> Since I've been on here there have always been a vocal minority that hate cats (most, like me, don't care either way). However, confessing to liking cats is akin to saying you're going to vote Tory or think the cyclist should not have overtaken on the junction and therefore the car wasn't entirely to blame etc etc etc.

I wouldn't say that disliking cats is that unusual.

I neighbour of mine has two cats and is happy to openly admit that "it's not my problem, they go and crap somewhere else" and has built a bird feeder/nest box to encourage more birds into the garden because his daughter likes them while admitting that their cats kill a lot of birds.

Another cat owner neighbour was complaining that another cat (not theirs) was spraying on their patio plant pots while totally ignoring what their own cat does to other peoples property.

I bought a ultrasonic cat deterrent recently and I've been very pleased with it. It has a IR trigger and you can set the sensor sensitivity and output frequency. I can just about hear it when triggered so I've set it to low sensitivity and placed it carefully so it will only be triggered by cats crapping in the flower beds, although this does reduce the area covered.
So far it's worked well and the one night after I accidentally knocked it over a cat crapped right next to it so it's obviously deterring cats when operational.
 Tony the Blade 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

My hatred for these creatures has been well documented previously.

I hate the little feckers and if I could shoot the one that craps in my veg patch and destroys the blackbird and Robin nests then I would (I'm a pretty good shot so it would be quite humane).

Don't give me any bollocks about them doing what comes naturally, these are pets and not feral animals. A cat cull would get my full support. Failing that put the little shits on a lead.

Michael Hood 10 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade: It is funny how to society in general, cats running all over the place is more acceptable than dogs doing the same.

Stichtplate 10 May 2017
> It is funny how to society in general, cats running all over the place is more acceptable than dogs doing the same.

Cats don't generally form packs and attempt to rip children limb from limb ,as occurred in Liverpool this week.
Post edited at 15:31

Tell me about it. When I put my pet jackdaw on a lead everyone cries 'animal abuse'. It's almost like different animals have different instincts and therefore are treated differently.

I don't have a cat. But if I hated them as much as some people seem to I'd just move to a village. I've lived in several and never come across anyone with a problem of cats. I'm not much a fan of neighbours anyway. My house was cheaper than something similar in a town too.
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Cats don't generally form packs and attempt to rip children limb from limb ,as occurred in Liverpool this week.

Neither do most dogs... however most cats are free roam and shit anywhere and spread disease.
 gethin_allen 10 May 2017

> ".... But if I hated them as much as some people seem to I'd just move to a village. I've lived in several and never come across anyone with a problem of cats. I'm not much a fan of neighbours anyway. My house was cheaper than something similar in a town too."

So your recipe to avoid cats crapping on your garden is to move house?
I can see this getting expensive.
I wonder if my neighbours with cats would decide to move out if I were to throw my turds over their fence?

The chances are in a rural location there will be fewer cats in a given space and they will probably avoid crapping where there is evidence of people and plenty of alternatives.

cb294 10 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

True, but they do spread diseases such as toxoplasmosis that are harmful to children, and especially unborn fetuses (depending on the immune status of the mother).

As a rough estimate, the number of children suffering severe health defects through the actions of irresponsible and antisocial owners may be surprisingly similar for cats and dogs:

A quick google gives roughly 1000 hospital admissions of children following dog attacks (every single one is one too much).

Congenital toxoplasmosis has an incidence of roughly 1 in 10.000 live births in the US, more in France and Canada, a bit less in the UK. No idea how significant these differences are and how robust the reporting is. The main pathway of infection by far is cat feces. At around 700.000 births that will be several hundred children born with mild (if they are lucky) to severe disabilities just because someone thought it was OK to let their cat crap all over the place, and that is not even counting toxoplasmosis induced stillbirths.

CB
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Neither do most dogs... however most cats are free roam and shit anywhere and spread disease.

When I walk anywhere it's not cat shit I'm having to avoid stepping in and cats primary prey, rodents, are a far more effective vector for diseases.
In reply to Stichtplate:

> When I walk anywhere it's not cat shit I'm having to avoid stepping in...
Do you mean dog shit? If so, the onus of responsibility is on the owner, surely?

> and cats primary prey, rodents, are a far more effective vector for diseases.
Agreed, but they're not pets.

Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Do you mean dog shit? If so, the onus of responsibility is on the owner, surely?Agreed, but they're not pets.

You're right of course , but objectively speaking, owning a car could be considered far more detrimental for our environment and dangerous for our fellow citizens, than owning a cat.

Basically, I'm making a plea for a little live and let live.
In reply to gethin_allen:

> So your recipe to avoid cats crapping on your garden is to move house?

My point is that cats shitting in your garden comes with the territory of living tightly with lots of neighbours and little open green space. Much like noise, kids kicking balls in to your garden and windows overlooking you as you sunbathe.

If you dislike these things then make a note and next time move somewhere less densely populated. All I see above is a lot of complaining and little in the way of realistic solution. Ban cats? Keep cats on leads? Keep cats indoors? Require the owner make regular trips to all neighbours to pick up shit? Can you really see any of those gaining enough political support to come in to law?
ceri 10 May 2017
In reply to cb294:

> True, but they do spread diseases such as toxoplasmosis that are harmful to children, and especially unborn fetuses (depending on the immune status of the mother).... The main pathway of infection by far is cat feces. ...

do you have a reference for the fact that the main path of infection is from cat faeces? I thought infection from infected meat and salad was the major cause (although of course, cats are involved somewhere as the definitive host)?
If it makes you feel any better, given that most cats are infected as kittens, then only shed oocysts for about a fortnight, the vast majority of the cat shit in your garden is unlikely to make babies go blind.
 Monk 10 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> You're right of course , but objectively speaking, owning a car could be considered far more detrimental for our environment and dangerous for our fellow citizens, than owning a cat.Basically, I'm making a plea for a little live and let live.

Then stop your cats crapping in other people's gardens. It's a big problem for me as well. Other than that I'm fine with cats.
In reply to Timmd:

Why aren't cat owners more responsible?
Why are they not held accountable for their feline feckers?
If a dog shits in your garden you'd have plenty to say on the matter.
Put a lead on it, let it crap in your garden, let your kids rummage about in it's shit, don't be an irresponsible pet owner.
 WaterMonkey 10 May 2017

> All I see above is a lot of complaining and little in the way of realistic solution.

Point of Order: I did suggest shooting the feckers...

Too soon?
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Monk:

The point I'm putting across is that none of us lives in isolation. Unless you're living a medieval substance lifestyle in the middle of nowhere your actions are impacting someone negatively.
If you have a better solution to the cat crap problem than the ones above let's have it.
 Monk 10 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

My solution is that all cat owners should have litter trays. How many do? Most cat owners make absolutely zero effort to stop the problem caused by their pet.

I agree with live and let live. But I see responsibility and consideration for others to be the core of that ethos.
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Monk:

> My solution is that all cat owners should have litter trays. How many do? Most cat owners make absolutely zero effort to stop the problem caused by their pet. I agree with live and let live. But I see responsibility and consideration for others to be the core of that ethos.

Agree with you on the responsible owner point but feel people are getting a little overwrought on here (how unusual).
Timmd's example is the worst by far I've heard of , and would drive me up the wall, but by an large , unless people are going out of their way to piss me off , I let them get on with it.
Case in point. The old gentleman next door is a keen twitcher and has filled his (treeless) garden with various bird feeders, bird baths and bird tables. Birds descend, fill up and then sit in the tree overhanging our drive and shit all over my car. One of those things, he lived there first and who am I to spoil his fun? Other than this small issue he's the perfect neighbour, so , live and let live.
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Point of Order: I did suggest shooting the feckers...Too soon?

Or as before... shoot yourself? Problem solved.
 Monk 10 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

I have a similar problem to the op. I have to clear my garden before my kids can play. It's grim. Cat owners just live in denial of the problem that their luxury causes others.
 Stichtplate 10 May 2017
In reply to Monk:

> I have a similar problem to the op. I have to clear my garden before my kids can play. It's grim. Cat owners just live in denial of the problem that their luxury causes others.

No , not all cat owners. Some of us take steps to mitigate any problems. You have my sympathy regarding your garden.
 somethingelse 10 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Remove as much of it at possible and start pissing in all the areas they shit. Piss into a watering can and 'water' the areas if you don't want to be exposed, although I always think it'd be an opportunity to tell the neighbour what I think of their cat if I was caught. When I go away for a week or more I come back and there's a bit of cat shit to clean up, after a fortnight of pissing at least three times a day in strategic places the problem is usually gone, although I still try to remember to piss in the garden once it's dark last thing each day. Seems to have worked
 gethin_allen 10 May 2017
Unfortunately, some people have to live where there are jobs and local amenities and don't want to live in the arse end of beyond just so they can enjoy having a garden that isn't a festering cat latrine.

How about we drum it into cat owners brains that not everyone likes cats or wants them crapping in their gardens and perhaps they should provide the cat with a litter tray or area of their own garden to use.
OP Timmd 11 May 2017
> My point is that cats shitting in your garden comes with the territory of living tightly with lots of neighbours and little open green space. Much like noise, kids kicking balls in to your garden and windows overlooking you as you sunbathe. If you dislike these things then make a note and next time move somewhere less densely populated. All I see above is a lot of complaining and little in the way of realistic solution. Ban cats? Keep cats on leads? Keep cats indoors? Require the owner make regular trips to all neighbours to pick up shit? Can you really see any of those gaining enough political support to come in to law?

How about people deciding not to get cats if they live in urban areas out of consideration for other people if they're going to let them poo not inside their home? My terraced area is full of cats, and it's not like everybody can afford to not live in urban areas, too. I like how you're making it the responsibility of people who don't like the poo from the pets of other people in their gardens, rather than the owners of the pets.

If I poo in your garden will you move to somewhere beyond my reach?
Post edited at 01:53
 Big Ger 11 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Move out here Tmmd, you know you want to!

http://www.tccs.act.gov.au/city-living/pets/cats/cat-containment

"An ACT study revealed domestic cats are responsible for killing a total of 67 different species of birds and animals. You can reduce the risk to native wildlife by keeping your cat indoors, particularly between sunset and sunrise and by putting a bell on your cat's collar to provide a warning to other animals.

A cat containment area can be declared in a suburb, or area of a suburb, if there is a serious nature conservation threat as a result of cat activities. "
Jim C 11 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> It's not somewhere for people's cats to poo, it's my garden and I've had enough. It stinks horribly. :-/

Cats were one of he reasons I decked my garden and put most plants in pots ( only to find they used the pots)
Tip, cut a circle of wire mesh, cut from the edge to the centre and snip a hole large enough for your plant to grow, place it in the pot, sprinkle soil over the mesh very thinly, the cats don't like it.

I quite like the spray idea though .

Jim C 11 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

They also come into our house in the summer if / when we leave the patio doors open.

I have no idea if they have fleas or not, but I would rather not have to have unwelcome visitors in my home, or have to take measures to prevent them.
Jim C 11 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Perhaps the only thing then is for you to find as many likeminded people as you can and lobby your local MP for a cat ban. Or perhaps you could lobby for cat registration and DNA testing so the owner will come and clear up after their cat for you.

Good luck.
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Unfortunately, some people have to live where there are jobs and local amenities and don't want to live in the arse end of beyond just so they can enjoy having a garden that isn't a festering cat latrine.How about we drum it into cat owners brains that not everyone likes cats or wants them crapping in their gardens and perhaps they should provide the cat with a litter tray or area of their own garden to use.

Fortunately for you, a less densely populated area doesn't need to be in the arse end of beyond. I'm 5 mins from my local town. I get no noise, no rubbish, no cats. Just bats, badgers and foxes.

Ahhhhh! Why didn't everyone think of a litter tray. Good idea. You've solved the problem.

iusedtoclimb 12 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

We bought some Lion poo off amazon - worked a treat
OP Timmd 17 May 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Ta.
OP Timmd 17 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> Cats were one of he reasons I decked my garden and put most plants in pots ( only to find they used the pots) Tip, cut a circle of wire mesh, cut from the edge to the centre and snip a hole large enough for your plant to grow, place it in the pot, sprinkle soil over the mesh very thinly, the cats don't like it. I quite like the spray idea though .

It's your posts about pots and decking that made me think seriously about how to not give in to the poo.

I guess I'll end up going for lion poo, peeing into and using a watering can, installing a couple of water sprayers, and leaving citrus things and fake snakes around any where they like to poo (they can seem shit scared of cucumbers from looking at youtube videos). There's only going to be one winner.
Post edited at 17:24
Lusk 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> they can seem shit scared of cucumbers from looking at youtube videos.

We tried that with our two cats, they both just looked at us with a 'wtf are putting a cucumber next to me for' look.

At least be grateful you don't live next door to this fella! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39931050
Post edited at 17:31
 Stichtplate 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:
There is a far simpler solution than deploying all that gubbins. Get yourself a lovely big tom cat. He'll defend your garden from other cats and you'll form a loving relationship * with your new furry friend.

* though one sided. Bit like an old, fat Russian oligarch and his young, slim , supermodel wife.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I guess I'll end up going for lion poo, peeing into and using a watering can,

I always think that putting lion shit in your garden to stop cats crapping there seems a bit OTT!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...