UKC

Parking near Tintern quarry (also for Shorn Cliff)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 10 May 2017
I was at Shorn Cliff last night, but parked near the forestry track next to Tintern quarry. I noticed two things, a new fence being put up around the quarry (I know the owner has been funny about climbing) but also some large steels which look like gate posts on the lane before you reach the parking area and the forestry track access.

So I'm wondering if someone is trying to block the lane off, maybe to cars or maybe totally (can they do that?). Does anyone know what's happening?
 Fatclimber 11 May 2017
In reply to springfall2008:

Was as you describe a month ago, so slow progress. I assumed they were blocking access to the carpark for vans (preventing campers?) and I couldn't work out how it would impact access to Tintern, but clearly it would be modified some what.
 Rick Sewards 12 May 2017

Thanks for bringing this up. I haven't been down to the quarry to check on any fencing down there but there is probably little I can do about that. I have urgently raised the question of the new posts at the car park entrance with the Forestry Commission (who were unaware of their existence). It is unclear who actually owns the car park, but as well as being a popular car park for climbers at Shorn Cliff and walkers, any gate across the entrance would block access for the Forestry Commission for their work and (critically for climbers) any rescue at Shorn Cliff.

Rick
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks Rick, please keep us up to date on what you find out.

Incidently, if they did try to block the road at this point there is going to be a lot of people climbing over the farmers fence to pass it and cars parking at the entrance to the road which is something that would upset the local residents.
Removed User 12 May 2017

The lane is a public right of way on foot (as can bee seen on the OS map); there is no vehicular right of way and we have only been able to use it over the years because no one has stopped us. I don't know who owns it and what rights other parties have.

We should obviously maintain our right of access on foot, but I would hope climbers would not behave as you suggest. There are alternative parking opportunities (described in the 2012 Supplement), and the negotiating skills of Rick and Rob should certainly be tried before more drastic measures are considered.

Fencing should be watched. There is already some dubious enclosure ( e.g. the land adjacent to the road at the base of Cockshoots Quarry).
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:

> The lane is a public right of way on foot (as can bee seen on the OS map);

That's good to know

>there is no vehicular right of way and we have only been able to use it over the years because no one has stopped us. I don't know who owns it and what rights other parties have.We should obviously maintain our right of access on foot, but I would hope climbers would not behave as you suggest.

Climbers are generally considerate as they value the access situation, but dog walkers on the other hand are likely to just park wherever they can do (legally). If I lived locally I'd be concerned about the parking siutation should the lane be shut to vehicles.

Rick Sewards 06 Jun 2017

Hi all

Just updating this thread - my understanding from the Forestry Commission is that the car park will not be gated and can continue to be used. However, the available space has reduced slightly. As before, please don't block any gates and if this car park is full please don't park by the cottages at the start of the track. There is a free Forestry Commission car park about half a mile further North, which is equally convenient for Shorn Cliff - just follow the footpath directly cross the fields until you arrive at the Offa's Dyke path, directly above the cliff.

Rick
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks Rick,

Do you know what the metal posts in the road are for?
 Rick Sewards 08 Jun 2017

Hi

They were clearly intended as gate posts, but my understanding is that the car park will not now be gated off.

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...