UKC

Climbing after wrist surgery - any experiences?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richgac 11 May 2017
Having suffered with a wrist that’s been painfully disintegrating for a decade I’ve been recommended some fairly drastic surgical options; a carpal row carpectomy, or a capo-lunate fusion (plus removal of scaphoid). Does anyone out there have experience of either of these procedures and how it is returning to climbing with the new joint? It’s hard to relate the quoted % range of motion that I’ll be left with to the real-life ability to swing an ice axe / place ice screws / deal with trad climbing! Any advice appreciated…
cheers
OP richgac 11 May 2017
In reply to gache:

*edit - i meant proximal row carpectomy
 hms 11 May 2017
In reply to gache:

I had carpal tunnel surgery after I had been climbing regularly for about 18 months, so nothing like as drastic as the procedures you mention. Didn't climb for 6 weeks then went back to it very carefully. I had pain in my wrist whilst climbing for many months afterwards, not directly at the site of the surgery but presumably highly related to it. I found that wearing a soft neoprene wrist support whilst climbing held everything in place a bit and kept the discomfort away. Other than that it was fine - the biggest thing to take a knock was actually my head for leading but fall practise can sort that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...