/ Climbing in Tonsai - Some hate it some love it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RawPhunky - on 13 May 2017
La benya - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

So many hippy
seankenny - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Quite possibly the most over-hyped climbing area in the world. Distinctly underwhelming climbing and the feeling the whole place has gone off a bit. But then I am about 20 years too old for this kind of nonsense.
Rob - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Beats a wet day on Dartmoor.
Robert Durran - on 13 May 2017
In reply to seankenny:

> Quite possibly the most over-hyped climbing area in the world.

Thanks, always good to have a reason to cross a climbing venue off a far too long list......... It's obviously a destination for really annoying people only judging by the video.
seankenny - on 13 May 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Thanks, always good to have a reason to cross a climbing venue off a far too long list......... It's obviously a destination for really annoying people only judging by the video.

Robert, clearly I don't know you personally but going by what you write on these forums I can, with certaintly, state that you've hate it.

Let's put it this way: when base jumpers leapt off a cliff right above the most popular cafe and beach, and landed in front of us, I was perhaps the only person not particularly impressed.
alx - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Looks like Bournemouth for crusties
Pilo - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Shit man I was walking underneath the 'tidal wave' bit of the crag and I felt drips of water on me. When I looked up it was a huge German guy in skin tight shorts hanging on a bolt fondling a chipped hold with a constant stream of sweat dripping off his shining ugly body - onto me! Ugh! what a sight. awful, almost enough to put you off sport climbing.
bigdrew - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

I'd not bother with Tonsai again.Iit's worth doping into to do couple of he longer routes which are away from the 'scene' The rapid weight loss probably improved my climbing for the rest of the trip as well ;)

Other crags in the area are truly good

koh yao noi it a great island to explore with amazing climbing..

Spirit Mountain or Chong Phli has some great long pitches

Lao Liang is a little trickier to get to but a truly nice place with good climbing

La benya - on 13 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Bloody 'ell everyone. Please try and contain your love for the place.

I shan't be trying to shoehorn a visit into next years Thailand holiday then (the hippies had put me off enough).
Graham Booth on 14 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Strong urge to beat the guy with his own ukulele
Jon Read - on 14 May 2017
In reply to La benya:
It's always bemused me why anyone would want to climbing somewhere so warm and humid. It could be really lovely rock and climbing, but if i'm going to drip onto the bystanders, it's a non-starter for an enjoyable climbing trip.

La benya - on 14 May 2017
In reply to Jon Read:

For some reason I had in my head that it wouldn't be too hot for some of the year/ day. I just said that to my girlfriend (who is Thai) and she laughed. I'm a sweaty mess at the best of times
tim000 - on 14 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

I was on holiday in krabi last month and recognise a couple of people from that video . didn`t climb there though.
Deadeye - on 14 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

I went to Ko Phi Phi on honeymoon in 1993.

Very few routes open and we did some probable first ascents on trad gear.

Phi Phi Don was a small village. Phi Phi Lee had 2 routes.

Your film makes me sad - but I recognise I was part of the problem.
Pilo - on 14 May 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

"Your film makes me sad - but I recognise I was part of the problem."
Why you are sad? Tonsai has been developed like this for the last 15 years. A lot of good lives made out of it for the locals who wanted to be away from Krabi town. They love being there away from town as much as the tourists. Try and be happy for them.
Kid Spatula - on 15 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

Is this the most grumpy anti-fun thread on UKC? I think it may be. Certainly a contender.
Niblet on 15 May 2017
In reply to Kid Spatula:

This was my reaction as well, then I watched the video, now I'm with the grumps.
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 15 May 2017
In reply to RawPhunky:

I went with a couple of mates years ago, did a couple of climbs, everything polished like glass, went straight back to Ao Nang and spent the next few days on the beach and in the Irish Rover with some lads from Lancaster playing pool and darts and chatting up girls. Actually was a great holiday. Just don't bother going to Tonsai.
Pilo - on 15 May 2017
In reply to Niblet:

The video is named Climbing Tonsai and is 6 minutes long. There is only 30 seconds of climbing in it! It should have been called 'Rest day in cringe cafe' and it could have been funny (almost)
flaneur - on 15 May 2017
In reply to Pilo:

> The video is named Climbing Tonsai and is 6 minutes long. There is only 30 seconds of climbing in it!

So an accurate representation of climbing at Tonsai then?

ads.ukclimbing.com
Pilo - on 15 May 2017
In reply to flaneur:
For most it's the opposite they end up climbing too much on really steep routes without rest days and get injured (negative). As there is nothing else to do (more negative) so if you are keen it's hard to rest enough. It's a terrible place for tweaking tendons (more negativity) because of the unbearable humidity (more negativity) and because the chipped and drilled pockets are so polished (more negativity) As it's so overpriced for Thailand (oops negative) American pseudo hippies love the place (easy girls-positive?) so that's who you'll meet when you're sick/injured/suicidal (more, oops....sorry I better stop there).
Post edited at 18:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.