UKC

Poirot's moustache

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 14 May 2017
There's a new Poirot "Murder On the Orient Express" in the works. A stellar cast; Kenneth Branagh, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench, Olivia Colman, Michelle Pfeiffer, Willem Dafoe...

But I don't think I can get past the hideous, distracting, freak-show wrap-around mustache which Branagh is playing Poirot in

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/03/22/3FE6F20D00000578-4471258-Kenne...

'He was hardly more than five feet four inches but carried himself with great dignity. His head was exactly the shape of an egg, and he always perched it a little on one side. His moustache was very stiff and military. Even if everything on his face was covered, the tips of moustache and the pink-tipped nose would be visible."

We have the complete series of Poirot, the David Suchet version at home, and are big fans. We were lucky enough to see Suchet live on stage in Sydney, though unfortunately not playing Poirot.

His must be the definitive version surely? Just as Brett is the definitive Homes.

I'm wondering if this ludicrous face fungus is meant to distance Branagh from Suchet.
 Fraser 14 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Just as Brett is the definitive Homes.

Objection!!! Just because he was in more shows than any other actor playing the part, IMO he was most definitely not the definitive Holmes. His performances were those of an over-acting ham, and his portrayals bore almost no resemblance to Conan Doyle's character.

Your "definitive Holmes" accolade belongs 100% to Basil Rathbone. And yes, I know this has been discussed on here many times in the past
 Mark Collins 14 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

What a shocker! Not surprised you couldn't get over that.

On the Holmes front I do like Brett but think the other replier has a point on the ham front. A recent excellent Holmes addition I came across recently is the Stephen Fry unabridged reading of the complete series.
 nufkin 14 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> I know this has been discussed on here many times in the past

I must have missed all those. I agree about Basil R. - not heard Stephen Fry. 4Extra roll around Holmes plays every so often with an actor who seems very good - Clive somebody, I think
OP Big Ger 15 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> Objection!!! Just because he was in more shows than any other actor playing the part, IMO he was most definitely not the definitive Holmes. His performances were those of an over-acting ham, and his portrayals bore almost no resemblance to Conan Doyle's character.

Disagree strongly. Brett defined Holmes in a way that no one else has.

> Your "definitive Holmes" accolade belongs 100% to Basil Rathbone.

Rathbone? RATHBONE?!?!?!

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKIAAAAJGEzMmVlYjk5LWNjZDgtNDZ...

Fraser 15 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Lol, excellent link, I want expecting that.

I'll let others decide, but Brett's character resembled Conan Doyle's in almost no way other than a shared Baker Street address! He wasn't likeable whereas the written original was, at least in my opinion.
In reply to Big Ger:

It looks like he's got a pretzel on is face , or it is just me ?

TWS
Bellie 15 May 2017
In reply to nufkin:

The BBC radio collection - which were excellent, had Holmes played by Clive Merrison. Watson was the late Michael Williams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...