/ Difficulty starting an MSR Wisperlite Int'l

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
LukeDclimber - on 14 May 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to start their MSR Wisperlite Int'l?

I purchased one a few years ago on the recommendation of a friend and the gear shop. Due to various circumstances I've only recently begun to use it in earnest and have found it nothing but frustrating. Rarely do I manage to start it on my first attempt and once started, find it difficult to simmer with. While cooking I basically have to constantly monitor it while my better half takes care of the food.

Do others have a similar experience? Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Is it simply a matter of persistence and practice? Given how annoying it is to use I'm now seriously considering swapping to either a Soto Amicus or Kovea Spider.
Dave Kerr - on 14 May 2017
In reply to LukeDclimber:

Is the Whisperlite not notorious for being difficult to simmer with?
RR on 14 May 2017

Just clean it, thoroughly. Cable out etc. Mine works like a dream. Simmering ... not really Masterchef kitchen quality, but okay. Dragonfly seems better in that sense. But I never made from scratch a beefstew on mine (just Mountain House freeze dried).
Stefan Jacobsen - on 15 May 2017

When firing up the whisperlite, you need to prime it until it begins sputtering, then slowly turn on the valve. Hold a pan over the flare if inside your tent. When simmering, don't over pressurize the flask, and handle the valve with fingerspitzengef├╝hl.

The Koeva Spider is a nifty little stove capable of inverting the gas canister, so you can use it down to -20.
gethin_allen on 15 May 2017

I think the important thing to do with this stove is to give it time and not turn on the fuel until the very last flames of the preheat are flickering out. And do so very gently or the fuel just cools the generator loop and it flares up. I don't think it is very good for simmering, maybe opening or removing the wind break would cool things as bit and help.
AdrianC - on 15 May 2017

It's a stove I've used a lot over quite a few years and as others have said, if it's clean and you follow the usual starting method it's a super reliable machine. The fact that you can strip and clean it in the field is handy but it's pretty rare to need to do that unless you use dirty fuel.

Simmering - forget it. They're on or off.
ads.ukclimbing.com
TobyA on 15 May 2017
In reply to AdrianC:

> Simmering - forget it. They're on or off.

I can simmer with my 25 year old one. It's not perfect but it's not impossible.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.