UKC

Text books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 15 May 2017
Does anyone know of any good sites or shops for cheap or second hand text books. The one I'm looking for is £78 on amazon! New edition published last year so I've had no joy so far sourcing it cheaper.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

Oxfam have a good website.
OP Stichtplate 15 May 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Thanks, but drawn a blank there too.
 nathan79 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

AbeBooks.co.uk may be worth a look. They have a good selection of booksellers selling all sorts.
In reply to nathan79:
Abes books have got it, but at the same price used as a new copy is on amazon
Thanks anyway.
Post edited at 13:32
Lusk 15 May 2017
In reply to nathan79:
Amazon own AbeBooks
I looked at buying direct from them to try and bypass Amazon a few months ago, until I discovered the above.
A lot of the other sellers listed are Amazon owned as well.
I just trawl all my local charity shops for most of my books now.
Post edited at 13:32
 krikoman 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

What book are you after? maybe someone here has a copy they don't need any more.
In reply to krikoman:
Emergency care in the streets, 7th edition. Happy to pay a reasonable price.
 nathan79 15 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Had no idea they were under the Amazon umbrella.

Betterworldbooks are normally my go to for second hand books. A charitable company that donates to literacy charity for each book they sell.
 Fredt 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
There's one on eBay
In reply to Fredt:
> There's one on eBay

There is a UK 7th edition, but they want £234 for it.
.... plus £16 postage!

Thanks anyway.
Post edited at 19:19
 Coel Hellier 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

Do you actually need the new edition? In many fields, publishers bring out new editions purely to get students to get a new book (as opposed to a second-hand copy of the previous edition). Most of the time in most fields the previous edition will be fine; after all previous generations of students learned from it!
In reply to Coel Hellier:

You might well be right, but I know from 15 years as a first aider at work that they keep changing the techniques and recommendations. I'm going back to full time education in September for the first time in over 25 years and want to start off on the right foot.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

I assume it's not available on tablets? I'll keep an eye out anyway.

If it's any consultation you'll likely get you're money back if you sell it after the course.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Thanks, but I think it's the kind of tome people keep hold of for reference. I was guessing the odd copy might turn up from people dropping out.
I'll just have to bite the bullet and fork up.

.... thanks for all the replies. I don't want to trigger anyone's gag reflex , but despite all the name calling and random dislikes you get on here ,all this help from strangers is quite heartening.
Post edited at 21:09
 Blue Straggler 15 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
I just popped a query to a paramedic acquaintance of mine. Don't get your hopes up though. I also looked at Wordery dot com which can sometimes have good prices, but on this one it CERTAINLY did not!

[update] she says it is good BUT not the best on technique, and suggests this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-Clinical-Paramedic-Procedures-Gregory/dp/14... but it is from 2010 seemingly, so might not be as current as you wish. And still nearly £40.

I guess the Nancy Caroline is a required book for whatever course you're doing. Would that guess be correct?
Post edited at 23:28
OP Stichtplate 16 May 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yeah, required text . My idea is to start swotting early to try and get my aged brain in gear. Thanks for the info.
J1234 16 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

A library?
In reply to J1234:

> A library?

Only if they don't mind me keeping it for 3 years.
 GarethSL 16 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> I'm going back to full time education in September for the first time in over 25 years and want to start off on the right foot.

I completed a BSc, MSc and PhD without buying a single text book, purely because the prices were so high and they weigh a ton to drag around. You can find far better referenceable material through a university library portal, or by searching for pdf versions online.

If you're in full time education you can get a university library to order in any book you want. How you keep it out of the library is up to you mind. Then scan it page-by-page to a pdf then distribute amongst fellow students in exchange for beer.

Alternativley, if you are not fussed about having a paper copy, I would recommend getting hold of an original/ high-res Pdf version so you can use quality figures in any submissables you may have. Also worth exchanging for beer.
In reply to GarethSL:
Good to know. If its practical it would save me a few hundred quid. The dad of my daughters classmate works in the field so I'll get his opinion re whether I need a hard copy or not.
Post edited at 12:37
 eschaton 16 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

There are two paramedic/student para pages on Facebook that I know of, due to them constantly popping up on my feed when friends are tagged in. Might be worth asking on there you may be able to buy one second hand from someone who's just finished the course.
In reply to eschaton:

> There are two paramedic/student para pages on Facebook that I know of, due to them constantly popping up on my feed when friends are tagged in. Might be worth asking on there you may be able to buy one second hand from someone who's just finished the course.

Don't do Facebook, but my wife does. I'll have a look tonight. Thanks.
 eschaton 17 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

No worries. One of them is called uk paramedic humour.

Ask about the paramedic flash/revision cards as well. Seemed to go down a storm and certainly helped my partner a few years back.
OP Stichtplate 17 May 2017
In reply to eschaton:

Nice one . I'm going to need all the help I can get with revision. It was far from my strong point first time round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...