UKC

Pups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tracy 16 May 2017
If a mum is a sprocker and dad is a cocker spaniel does this still make pups sprockers ?
 Fraser 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

I'm going to say ... spangles!
In reply to Tracy:

Spaniel cross?
 summo 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:
Mongrel?

Yes. I know the trend is to create a fancy name and double the price, but surely it's just a cross breed.
Post edited at 07:56
ceri 16 May 2017
In reply to summo:

No, a mongrel is of unknown breeding. These are just crossbreeds. If you have to call them something, sprocker would do. Or just spaniel cross.
 timjones 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

It is spelt M O N G R E L
 Chris Harris 16 May 2017
In reply to ceri:

> No, a mongrel is of unknown breeding.

Not necessarily. You can send DNA off for testing & find out what breeds are in your mixed-breed dog, even if there are multiple breeds with some only present as a fairly small percentage of the mix.
 Fakey Rocks 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:
Davey Crockits? Crockers?
More pub / off belay / off leash related...?

But doesn't anyone breeding dogs have a lot of responsibility for many many beautiful lovely homeless dogs locked up in pounds all over the country, many of which have to be pts as shelters often cannot find them homes.
Making money out of breeding dogs is a sad way to want to boost your income.
Apologies if it was unavoidable breeding.
I just think breeding / importing animals for pets is all wrong when there are so many homeless, it's out of control.
ceri 16 May 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

I know you can do genetics on any dog, but it doesnt stop a mongrel being of unknown breeding, i.e. the parents are not of a specific breed.
I guess I was a bit wrong to call this dog a crossbreed: technically mum is a crossbreed and the pups are mongrels/mixed breed, but as the pups are known to be 3/4 cocker and 1/4 springer, presumably with some kind of pedigree to prove that, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt and call them a crossbreed still.
 GrahamUney 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

Has this got anything to do with climbing?
 sdw7300 16 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

Assuming Dad and the parents of the Mum are KC registered, they would be F1b Sprockers

https://breedingbusiness.com/meaning-of-f1-f1b-f2-f2b-f3-when-discussing-hy...
 timjones 17 May 2017
In reply to ceri:

According to my dictionary there is no distinction between a mongrel and a fashionable crossbreed.

As a farmer I often find myself wondering whether named breeds are just a money spinning illusion
 J Whittaker 17 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

If the mum is a sprocker and the dad is a cocker that makes the puppy a dog. Call it a cock-rocker
 marsbar 18 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

Cocker-sprocker.
 robal 18 May 2017
In reply to Tracy:

they'd make sprockers, just a bit more towards the cocker end of the spectrum.

Sprockers aren't a recognized breed so technically a mongrel, but having a sprocker i think they're fantastic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...