/ Alpkit's Sonder Frontier

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Wulfrunian - on 16 May 2017
Hello

Do we have any Sonder Frontier owners on here? I'm looking for a new bike for putting in the mileage on local (flattish) cross-country trails & natural hilly stuff further afield (Lakes, mid-Wales etc.) that will turn its hand to bikepacking. The Frontier in rigid guise (undecided on 650b+ or 29") looks to be very good value. I'm a big fan of 1x11 too. Anyone own one and can comment? Anything similar around for similar money (alu hardtail, rack mounts, 1x11)?

Thanks.
TobyA on 16 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus. Very similar bike and price. My thread from Sunday has a sort of review and some pics from last weekend bikepacking.
The Wild Scallion on 16 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

I'm interested to also know as I'm seriously thinking of buying the Frontier in the next few months.

Wulfrunian - on 16 May 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks - very interesting. Had just stumbled upon the Ramin 3 plus and was reading about it as you posted. Slipping seat post seems to be a common problem. Undersized post or oversized tube I wonder?
TobyA on 16 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Could be the shim. Designed so you can add a dropper, but a bit of a compromise. The wheels are reckoned to be great with the Ramin -they do feel light with no tubes. Don't know if the Alpkit ones are as good - they might be but the WTB ones have a great rep.

Bear Bones Bikepacking love the Ramin, a number of reviews there plus a first look at the frontier.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Wulfrunian - on 17 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Popped in to local bike shop to see if they had anything suitable. Nothing specifically bikepacky but they did think a Whyte 629 29'er might fit the bill. No idea yet how wide a tyre it will take, or whether it will run 27.5+ (or, indeed, whether it matters - probably not) and they'd need to order my size in for me to try it (it's a long, slack beast by all accounts). Decent spec. though and a lovely looking frame. The potential clincher is they'd do it for the price of the rigid Frontier. D'oh, decisions decisions....

Anyone else hanker for the days when choice of bikes was limited to Grifter or Chopper? (and it was Grifter, obvs.)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.