UKC

Amalfi Coast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 16 May 2017
Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of climbing on the Amalfi Coast of Italy? Recommended bases? Guidebooks? Any background information would be helpful..... even if I end up ruling it out as a potential destination.

Thanks
 jon 16 May 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Yes, went there in Jan 2015. Based in a little hamlet above Positano. Even in Jan the roads and villages are very crowded. The villages are built on such steep hillsides that normally the only access is on foot... hundreds (thousands) of steep steps! We had two guidebooks, one covering the coast further north od Naples too, though we didn't go there. Afraid I can't remember the name of the guides (I'm in Spain at the moment). We only scratched the surface as we had some bad weather and hopped over to San Vito for our second week. Did some good climbing but nothing as good as San Vito...
 Andy Peak 1 16 May 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
I have just returned from a holiday there were I did a few days of climbing and 6 days of extremely hecktick driving which was fun in a masochistic sort of way!
The best crag I went two was Monte Gambra which has two opposing sides so you can stay out of the sun all day as it's the hottest place on earth, there's also a lot of climbing around there that you can get to easily.

Driving anywhere is just pure madness and will take you a long time, we went to monte San liberator which is 20 miles from were I was staying and it took 2hrs.
Parking is a pain at best! Park in the blue boxes and not the yellow ones which are residents only and is likely to get your car toad.
If you have a qwick search on hear you'll find the guide books.
Post edited at 20:45
OP earlsdonwhu 16 May 2017
Thanks both. My mate was contemplating going in October. Interesting to see a comparison with San Vito as I have just come back from there. Sounds like travel is considerably more traumatic than San Vito, Kalymnos or Sardinia!

J Whittaker 17 May 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I was there last year as a regular tourist. Driving was insane, but it didn't stop me looking at all the cliffs wondering if there was climbing on them instead of paying attention to the road. Its a wonder I didn't crash, cool to know you can climb there.
 tjekel 17 May 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I think it very much on the grades you are aspiring to. From my knowledge (dating a few years back) easy stuff was not very special, so if you would look mainly up to 6a/b, Sperlonga would be a better place. Above seems nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...