UKC

When was the last time you gave a stranger....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 16 May 2017

twenty pounds.....
 Stichtplate 16 May 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Regularly, it's called PAYE.
Gone for good 16 May 2017

I'll give you £20 if you piss off for a few days .
 balmybaldwin 16 May 2017

A few weeks ago, a woman in front of me at the petrol station had left her purse at home and was about to go through all the forms etc, and I was in a rush so I paid for her fuel (£35iirc) and mine
Lusk 16 May 2017

> When was the last time you gave a stranger twenty pounds.....

of lard, coal, pontefract cakes ... ?
You need to be more specific.
 ericinbristol 16 May 2017

About once a year, usually in midwinter, when I see someone on the street looking very down and I know that £20 will make them feel better, even if only for a little while. I appreciate they could spend it on the drugs/alcohol that got them onto the street in the first place or keeps them there, and that some of the charities say 'Don't give out cash on the streets'. I hope that usually it is a good thing that I hand over this money.
 splat2million 16 May 2017

Last time I was in the UK I was going home from work in Sheffield at around midnight when a woman approached me saying she had her bag stolen and needed £20 to get a coach home (I forget where she was going). She had a good story, full of little details, and was clearly very upset, so although it is likely that I was conned I gave her the money anyway in case it was true.
abseil 16 May 2017
In reply to ericinbristol:

> About once a year, usually in midwinter, when I see someone on the street looking very down and I know that £20 will make them feel better, even if only for a little while. I appreciate they could spend it on the drugs/alcohol that got them onto the street in the first place or keeps them there, and that some of the charities say 'Don't give out cash on the streets'. I hope that usually it is a good thing that I hand over this money.

I admire you and what you do, Eric. I really do. If it was me, though, I would either hand over 20 quid's worth of food, or give 20 quid to a charity which works with the homeless.
 ThunderCat 16 May 2017

Victoria station. About 20 years ago. It was only actually a tenner, but I was a poor student so given the situation plus inflation...

He said he was stuck. Just got out of prison, had to get a train to see his kid. I knew it was 90 per cent chance of being bull...but felt compelled to take a chance and try and help.

Who knows....?

Fate repaid me about a week later when I was robbed of 20 quid at a cash point.

Such is life.
 ericinbristol 16 May 2017
In reply to abseil:

Thanks. You recommendation might be the right choice. I do give to charities and get groceries for the annual food collection at work. It's a difficult one.
 Big Ger 16 May 2017
In reply to splat2million:

> Last time I was in the UK I was going home from work in Sheffield at around midnight when a woman approached me saying she had her bag stolen and needed £20 to get a coach home (I forget where she was going).

There's quite a few of these story tellers in our city centre, normally asking for $5 to catch a bus to see someone in hospital.

brianjcooper 16 May 2017

Are you Wimpara in disguise?
abseil 16 May 2017
In reply to ericinbristol:

> .....It's a difficult one.

Right, it is really is a difficult one. I've struggled with it.
 Timmd 16 May 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

> I'll give you £20 if you piss off for a few days .

There an easy solution if his threads annoy you.
 FactorXXX 16 May 2017

I gave someone a 5p tip for carrying my shopping to my car. Little did they know that I'd just bought 20 bags of sugar.
 Timmd 16 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
> There's quite a few of these story tellers in our city centre, normally asking for $5 to catch a bus to see someone in hospital.

I had a lady approach me with one story, and then appear again a few weeks later when I was with some friends with a different story. If I see her again she's getting a flea in her ear, because she pretended to be upset the second time and upset a sensitive friend of mine.

I gave £5 and a cup of tea to a girl though, after standing nearby unobserved and listening to somebody ask her about her situation, and listening and watching her body language when she replied, in seeing how she seemed to be on the edge of not holding it together.

I have been scammed in my youth, and a school mate's older brother while not homeless at the time, begged for money and later died from a heroine overdose bought with what he'd raised. It's a complex issue.
Post edited at 23:16
 Co1in H 16 May 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor: I've been retired for 4 years now but in the last few years that I was working each payday I gave £10 each to two people on the street in Manchester. Nowadays it's only a couple of quid.

SenzuBean 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> a school mate's older brother while not homeless at the time, begged for money and later died from a heroine overdose bought with what he'd raised. It's a complex issue.

Conversely how many people on the street killed themselves when realizing how cruel the world must be if thousands of humans who passed them by every day without even a glance?

Secondly even if people are doing these little scams - these scams are so pathetic you have to wonder how desperate they are to do them?

Timmd 17 May 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:
> Conversely how many people on the street killed themselves when realizing how cruel the world must be if thousands of humans who passed them by every day without even a glance?

That's why I said it's a complex issue (perhaps unspokenly).

> Secondly even if people are doing these little scams - these scams are so pathetic you have to wonder how desperate they are to do them?

I often do.
Post edited at 00:16
 Billhook 17 May 2017

LOADS OF TIMES!

Every time I go shopping I give the cashier twenty quid or more to pay for it. Still don't know her name.
 Tony the Blade 17 May 2017

> When was the last time you gave a stranger..... twenty pounds.....

Every month. I give at least a fivers worth of food to the food bank during the weekly shop.

arch 17 May 2017

I'm surprised no one has asked the question when was the last time *you* gave a stranger Twenty pounds............
Gone for good 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> There an easy solution if his threads annoy you.

Im sure most people have read my retort in the light hearted manner in which it was intended.
 marsbar 17 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I won't give cash for the reasons you mentioned. I did buy a young man a £3 meal deal the other day.
 Trangia 17 May 2017

> Last time I was in the UK I was going home from work in Sheffield at around midnight when a woman approached me saying she had her bag stolen and needed £20 to get a coach home (I forget where she was going). She had a good story, full of little details, and was clearly very upset, so although it is likely that I was conned I gave her the money anyway in case it was true.

I've met this poor woman too, both in Brighton and St Leonards, both times late at night and close to the station. She is well spoken and has a very plausible story, in fact last year so many people gave her £20 to get a coach or train home that the local press reported her plight. Poor woman, she is always forgetting or losing her bag......

Last time I offered to walk with her to the police station as I told her, I felt sure they would help her. Funny she quickly made an excuse and walked off......
 Timmd 18 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Well spoken? Does she seem quite 'posh and middle class', and is in her 20's ish?
 Rob Naylor 18 May 2017

About a month ago. I found £20 that someone had left in the ATM outside Lloyds Bank in Axminster, so took it into the bank and gave it to one of the tellers. I presume it found its way back to the owner as several people saw/ heard me do it.
 Dauphin 18 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Well spoken? Does she seem quite 'posh and middle class', and is in her 20's ish?

That your M.O. fella?

D
 Trangia 18 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Well spoken? Does she seem quite 'posh and middle class', and is in her 20's ish?

Yes, although I would say she is probably in her 30s, maybe even 40s.
 Babika 18 May 2017

About 20 years ago - pulled up the car and gave it to a tramp wandering along the hedgerows.
Ashamed to say that I've not done it since.
 Dauphin 18 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Crack is a hell of a drug.

Standard junkie routine normally outside a train or bus station, it works because many people are somewhat anxious / disoriented after or before boarding transport and it seems vaguely legitimate, works better for women because men are programmed to respond to sob stories.

D
 Toccata 18 May 2017

Easy situation for me; a year ago.

Little old lady on some distress at a train station having bought a ticket in advance and turned up at station a day late Clearly intending to travel she had two suitcases but forgotten her handbag and was in some distress that the clerk would neither refund nor re-issue the ticket. I paid (£40-something), left my address wondering if this was an elaborate scam, and forgot about it.

Two weeks later an enormous F&M hamper (and a cheque for the ticket) arrived from her son with a lovely letter saying how nice it was that people still cared about strangers.
 Timmd 18 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> Yes, although I would say she is probably in her 30s, maybe even 40s.

Brown hair? Maybe there's more than one posh well spoken female who scams. I'm a young looking 37 (apparently), and would have put the lady who once scammed me as being a bit younger than myself (being 30 at the time). Very posh seeming with dark sand/golden brown hair (iirc). Perhaps she's aged badly (heh heh heh)

On the other hand, somebody I used to work with/for as a volunteer once asked a stranger for help with her train money, having got to the station to find she'd left everything at home, and paid him back later on.
Post edited at 15:24
 Timmd 18 May 2017
In reply to Toccata:
Yes, it's still worth helping people sometimes, to keep the world a little bit kinder.
Post edited at 15:20
 Bulls Crack 18 May 2017

I saw a girl do so in Manchester a few weeks ago. She stopped to give some money to a beggar and instead of the 'usual' coins gave hime several at least £20.

I was touched.....so was she arguably!

Last night. Homeless kitchen, run by a local Christian group. I'm an atheist, but that's 'proper christian work', and I'm more than happy to support what they do.
Jim C 19 May 2017

At Christmas I gave the lovely Romanian lady that stands outside the post office £20.
( but don't tell her I voted for Brexit
Jim C 19 May 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> A few weeks ago, a woman in front of me at the petrol station had left her purse at home and was about to go through all the forms etc, and I was in a rush so I paid for her fuel (£35iirc) and mine

And she asked you for your details to refund you, and you refused?
Jim C 19 May 2017

> Last time I was in the UK I was going home from work in Sheffield at around midnight when a woman approached me saying she had her bag stolen and needed £20 to get a coach home (I forget where she was going). She had a good story, full of little details, and was clearly very upset, so although it is likely that I was conned I gave her the money anyway in case it was true.

You could just offer to buy her the ticket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...