UKC

Attention all young people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 17 May 2017
Your future is important.

Is this the WORST thing about the upcoming general election?

The government has changed the system for registering people to vote, so the number of 18 year olds registered to vote has plummeted.

25% fewer school-leavers are registered to vote than 3 years ago that means thousands of young people won't get a say in this election.

Time is running out, but chances are you know young people who aren’t registered to vote - so you've still got a few days left to encourage them. Registration closes at midnight on Monday.

There are so many reasons why it's important to encourage more young people to vote. Here are just a few - but you can probably add your own!

Unless younger people vote, politicians think they can ignore them. That makes it more likely the government will let younger people down. Worried whether you'll ever be able to afford your own home? Scared about student debt? Wish you didn't have to work on a zero hours contract? More young people voting won't fix it overnight, but it's a start.

HUGE decisions will be taken in the next five years, including how Brexit works. Young people will live with these decisions for the longest. So they've got more reason than most to vote for a say in how they get taken.

Voting - or not voting - is a habit.

It's important to register to vote , encourage your friends to do it. It's your future that's a being decided on June 8th.

Please encourage your friends to register and vote!

Removed User 17 May 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

"25% fewer school-leavers are registered to vote than 3 years ago that means thousands of young people won't get a say in this election."

Of course they get a say, all they need to do is register (which is easy and quick). If they want a say, they get a say.
Lusk 17 May 2017

> The government has changed the system for registering people to vote ...

Don't know what it used to be like, but I've just (re) registered, took about a minute.
I might get two votes now!

Sound advice there. Plus, not voting is a default Tory vote...

T.
 Jon Stewart 17 May 2017

A persuasive post, but I'm afraid Jonathan Pie does an even better job!

youtube.com/watch?v=shIOZdEzkiU&
 summo 17 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Sound advice there. Plus, not voting is a default Tory vote...T.

Or for the SNP in Scotland.
PhantomDislike 17 May 2017

!o)

What a shitpit UKC forums have become that four people can 'dislike' your wise counsel.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Well said. There are some sad cases lurking behind the dislike button, and the anonymity of its use is making its validity as a tool on these forums very questionable.

T.
 arch 17 May 2017

You're not Trevor D C Gamble off the Outdoors Magic forum by any chance are you ??
 john arran 17 May 2017

What could possibly be so wrong with exhorting people to vote, such that 5 people thought it a good idea to actively dislike it?

Is it tribalism winning out over reason?
 Brass Nipples 17 May 2017

Should be attention all people. Use your vote.

JEF 17 May 2017

Free Big Mac with cheese for all registered voters aged under 21!

There, fixed it for you.
 FactorXXX 17 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Don't know what it used to be like, but I've just (re) registered, took about a minute.

The essential difference, is that individuals have to register as opposed to the head of the household registering all of the people living at that particular residence.
Still shouldn't be a problem though...
 fred99 18 May 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The essential difference, is that individuals have to register as opposed to the head of the household registering all of the people living at that particular residence.

Presumably that is the problem - too many youngsters nowadays expect everything to be done for them.
 Andy Johnson 18 May 2017
In reply to arch:
> You're not Trevor D C Gamble off the Outdoors Magic forum by any chance are you ??

Not many people know this, but Outdoors Magic is actually an elaborate honeytrap the sole purpose of which to keep Trevor D C Gamble occupied and away from other forums. All the other posts there are generated by an AI chatbot. It is extremely important that he never finds out.
Post edited at 18:36
 Carless 18 May 2017

Well said - and why you now have 7 dislikes is incomprehensible to any sane person
 Tom Valentine 18 May 2017
In reply to Carless:

Regarding the dislike button and its use in response to Ice Doctor, it's the same as the MPs allowance scandal a few years ago: they don't do it because it's right, but because they can.
 Mark Bannan 18 May 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> What a shitpit UKC forums have become that four people can 'dislike' your wise counsel.

Up to 7 now! (not including me, I must hasten to add!).

Agreed - very wise counsel. However, I think the concept of Brexit actually working is pure fantasy, particularly if Teresa May is PM after the election ("Brexit means Brexit" - what utter bullsh*t!).

M
 arch 18 May 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Regarding the dislike button and its use in response to Ice Doctor, it's the same as the MPs allowance scandal a few years ago: they don't do it because it's right, but because they can.

No it isn't. The point in the OP is correct.

IMHO the dislikes are because of the amount of topics started by this person and the general negativity in all of those posts.
 elsewhere 18 May 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/6bwgr6/my_local_bouldering_gym_i...

https://m.facebook.com/TCABristol/photos/a.10150897829092088.433817.3415310...

The Climbing Academy

Free climbing for ages 18-25 if you bring evidence of being registered to vote.
 Tony the Blade 18 May 2017

I'm cutting and pasting this to Facebook, if that's ok with you?
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Please DO IT.

I want young people to have a say in their future...... ( all be it a limited one, if TM becomes the UK's new dictator, erm I mean PM)
Post edited at 14:16
 Tony the Blade 21 May 2017

Done , thanks
Jim C 22 May 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
> Don't know what it used to be like, but I've just (re) registered, took about a minute.The essential difference, is that individuals have to register as opposed to the head of the household registering all of the people living at that particular residence.Still shouldn't be a problem though...

As the online registration is easiest for the youngest , there is no excuse, they don't even need to get off their arse to do it, but many don't. And even of those those that are registered , there is no great hope that they will bother to go and actually vote. Sad to say.

Post edited at 02:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...