UKC

Skye. Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jenny C 17 May 2017
Never been to skye before looking
for walking and scrambling rather than climbing. Any suggestions on cheap cheerful campsites or couple friendly bunkhouses in the Coulin area?
 d_b 17 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

There is a significant risk of being eaten alive if you camp.

Having said that, the Sligachan campsite is cheap, cheerful and opposite a pub. You will be spending a lot of time hiding in there as the site itself is a midge infested swamp.

Glenbrittle camp site is by the sea, less midgy under most circumstances but more expensive and remote.

I have had a good time on both of them but take deet, coils and a head net. IIRC they sell nets at the Sligachan bar but they are ruinously expensive - classic sellers market.
 IanMcC 17 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

Skye Basecamp, Broadford
OP Jenny C 17 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
Have past history with the infamous Scottish midge, already stocked up on repellant, headnet and antihistamines.

Was also hoping May was still early enough in the year for them to have not reached their full potential as man eaters.
Post edited at 22:34
 Jasonic 17 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

No midges this week but that may change!
Glen Brittle campsite shop does nice coffee- this pub does great food (May need to book)
and has a bunkhouse; http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/
 wercat 18 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

My experience over the last 30 years is that up till late May it's not so bad and sometimes into the first week in June but from then until September I wouldn't choose to camp. Definitely prefer Glenbrittle - far cheaper option unless you go to the pub every night or intend only to walk from Sligachan.

The Youth hostel in Glenbrittle is a very good base but has been refurbished and gone a bit up market
 Babika 18 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

I was disappointed in Glenbrittle 2 years ago. If the weather is fine I'm sure its lovely, but as I had horizontal rain coming continuously off the sea for 3 days the tent was flooded and, more importantly, there was nowhere to sit and be sociable in the evening.

4 of us sat in a car and got drunk which was pretty skanky as no one wanted to drive 7 miles to the pub and not be able to drink.

Oh, and there's no mb signal at Glenbrittle. I had to drive about 4 miles to call my kids each evening.
 d_b 18 May 2017
In reply to Babika:

That is the point where you drive to the cairngorms.
 Babika 18 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

> That is the point where you drive to the cairngorms.

It was the point at which I drove home.

And bought a new tent.
Jim C 19 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:
> There is a significant risk of being eaten alive if you camp..... but take deet, coils and a head net. IIRC they sell nets at the Sligachan bar but they are ruinously expensive - classic sellers market.

Worth noting before you emerge ( IF you decide to emerge) from your tent , if the person collecting your camping money is just wearing a midge net or a whole body suit.

If you do get a head net get one with the wire like the bee keepers, it keeps the net off your face and is less uncomfortable. A breezier spot to camp is better than a sheltered one in those circumstances.
Post edited at 01:45
Ste Brom 19 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

Timely, I'm looking to camp next weekend.
I've been looking at this site.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results.asp?county=Isle%20Of%20Skye

As well as buying case loads of SSS, citronella and midge hoods.

How full are the sites on Skye likely to get on BH weekend anyone?

Conor1 19 May 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

I was there for the last bank holiday weekend and there were no problems at any campsites. +1 for Glenbrittle campsite. Also recommend taking the boat from Elgol (or walking if you're hardy) to camp at Loch Coruisk - spectacular spot.
estivoautumnal 19 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

The midges have been out in Skye since last weekend. Despite an amazingly dry and sunny spring they are here in force. Lots this morning before the wind got up.

The rain forecast for this weekend will no doubt lead to full on summer midge conditions.
 Jamie B 21 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

I would recommend a "campsite" tent rather than a mountain-sized shelter if camping in midge season. You can get these dirt-cheap at Decathlon, etc. I find that a good-sized porch that you can sit and cook in, while not completely insect-proof does provide a partial buffer zone. Getting the dive into and zipping up of the inner practiced is a key skill, the quicker you can do this the fewer insects will follow you in. And having a pee bottle inside the inner is critical in my opinion!
 wercat 22 May 2017
In reply to Jamie B:
Midgies are easier to bear if you can't feel them getting in your ears and eyes and down your neck. Not pleasant in the face but seems to me to be bearable if it is only the face. To this end when all others in our group were fleeing inside I found it possible to work outside with a fleece balaclava and a pair of old ski goggles I had i my car. Bizarre but effective. I always take a merino balaclava and goggles now just in case as I don't have a hood.

Actually, perhaps full NBC kit would be better
Post edited at 10:26
Removed User 22 May 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

There is no finer campsite in the land than Coruisk. Some chance of a sea breeze keeping the midges off as well. You can break up the walk in with a stop over at Camasunary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...